Stolen VFR RECOVERED in NORCAL!!!

Alaskan

WOW!!! The CHP recovered my VFR abandoned very close to the Weaverville CA motel where it was stolen! Recovery of stolen motorcycles is virtually unheard of, so I am one of the very lucky ones!

I have no particulars about the condition of the bike, although the police report says the condition is "good" except the ignition has been "tampered with." Also, the police report says the tank was "empty." I have no idea how the officer concluded that or how the tank was emptied - by riding it dry or by jimmying the locked cap. The key was not in the ignition, so I'll just have to wait to see at pick up. I'm arranging to have it picked up from the impound lot tomorrow, so I'll have more information then.

Thanks for your help and emotional support. You guys are the best!

Jon

I had a stolen bike recovered once.  The dealership left the key in the ignition and the bike in the lot overnight.

Bike was found about a week later 50 miles away.

I hope they didn't F* up your bike too bad.

• Member Contributer

All Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! you got your prize back... I'd ask the desk Sargent if it would be OK to take the Officers out to lunch...

I had a 1987 Ninja ZX750 recovered after it was stolen in NYC. It was great news. I repainted the bike and if was promptly stolen a few months later. I wasn't so lucky again. Although my next bike was a 1986 VF700F.

Congrats.

• Member Contributer

Man!!!!! Finally good news from law enforcement!!! So glad you got it back. 

I hope it is not too damaged.

This is good news. 99% of the time, it's never seen again. Bet they hot wired it, and rode it until the tank went empty. Couldn't get the cap opened. And just left it. 

8 minutes ago, BrianF said:

*looks at new R1200RS in garage* "That might've been premature." :blush:

Look at it this way - now I have TWO fantastic motorcycles. Well, three counting the 748. The dealership and BMW North America combined for a screaming deal on the R1200RS - $2000 off the sticker price, 15% off on all accessories, and 0.9 percent APR for 60 months with zero down payment.  :cool:

So many motorcycles, so little time.

SITREP:

Visible damage - ignition jimmied and ignition wires clipped, blown main fuse, windscreen missing, left mirror broken off, missing fairing cap screw. NO SCRATCHES OR DINGS!

Unknown whether the ECU etc. was damaged in the hot-wire attempt. Also unknown whether the crooks got it running. 

Apparently there were multiple thefts in Weaverville over the last several days, including an ATV from the motel parking lot. 

• Member Contributer

Wow, sounds like you got fairly lucky. Hoping fuses did their job and you can swap the broken/missing parts and be good to go.

4 hours ago, Alaskan said:

NO SCRATCHES OR DINGS!

Really?

That would be amazing.

Repairs sound relatively minimal. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Outstanding. Good old H.I.S.S did its job. Hopefully you can rewire a new barrel in easily or can you go back in the loom to find a connector to reconnect the barrel as a new item? 

Love those wheels

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Marooncobra said:

Outstanding. Good old H.I.S.S did its job. Hopefully you can rewire a new barrel in easily or can you go back in the loom to find a connector to reconnect the barrel as a new item? 

Love those wheels

H.I.S.S. had nothing to do with this one, North American bikes do not have it. Inept thieves had more to do with this IMO.

Archived