I've Lost That Lovin' Feeling

SEBSPEED

Ever since my first trip to NAshville back in - 2005? - I cant stand riding when i get home to Ontario. RIding in the Franklin area over the last 10 years each summer has spoiled me. Reminds me - I owe NC a visit.......... lets ride!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add,..... I also just bought a new very fun to drive car (Mazda 3S Touring hatchback) j

That car better have NACA ducts... or else................ :goofy:

Nope, no NACA ducts, but it sure Zoom- zooms on the road!

20150705_175932_zpsboz75jtm.jpg

20150705_180018_zpshjsufyet.jpg

:biggrin: :biggrin:

But now I cannot figure out how to hang my bicycle carrier on the back of the car as there's that rear roof spoiler (most likely made out of fiberglass or ABS plastic), that keeps me from hooking straps from the carrier to the upper lip of the rear hatch door..... :wacko: I really don't want to carry my bikes on my roof on a rack if I can help it....

• Member Contributer

Get a draw-tite trailer hitch and use the bicycle rack that goes into the reciever.

Hmmm how is the head Timmy ?

Overload.

No sweat. Do there stuff and it'll come back around. Or maybe it won't. Does it really matter?

Is the apathy only in relation to Motorcycles? Perhaps you are Not Just burnt out in a Motorcycling context but in General From Taking on so much over such a Long Time. From what I've seen you live eat and breathe motorcycles.

Take a holiday From it all.

Give it a rest and you'll see.

Happens to me sometimes too.

Maybe you need a New challenge now You've virtually Done it all m/c-wise.

You're a Smart lad and you need New challenges... Learn to fly or windsurf or whatever Takes your Fancy... addictions and Obsessions have this Downfall to them where eventually you Reach overdose.

• Member Contributer

Work, finances, family, love, traffic, speed limits, "I wanna go fast," come home alive, rubber side down, make it perfect, so much maintenance, the more bikes I own the more I have to fix. Shouldn't I be a responsible adult by now? Damn, I should've put my knee down in that corner. Its time to slow down. Restraint. Riding is dangerous. Calculated risk. ATGATT. My back hurts, my neck hurts, its hot, its cold, maybe one more farkle. You only live once. Wreck. Fix it. Part it. Too many responsibilities, not enough time. What do I do? New bike.

We've all been there, my friend. In your case, in addition to the above, you also created one of the best custom VFRs this world has ever seen. After I binned the BMW under conditions that were not even extreme, I was sitting next to the Killboy photographer waiting for my rescue squad (VFRD members, of course). He couldn't stop talking about how sweet your bike was, and showed me photos he had taken of your bike, with passion, with enthusiasm. It brought a smile to my face in a time where there should be no smiling. It brought perspective. I suspect that through all your hard work and success, your clear clutch covers that grace a number of the best VFRs on this forum, in creating your streetfighter: You blew your wad, and now you are in a refractory period. No matter how hard you try, you have to wait until that period is over. Just relax, appreciate your accomplishments, and temporarily put your burdens down. No need to carry them all the time, no matter how important: that would be exhausting. Appreciate your stress, your failures, your struggle. Adventures suck while you are having them. But take some time to look around and see your success. You have inspired many, and that is no small accomplishment.

Its OK to stop riding for a while or sell your bikes. Alternatively, its ok to keep them and bury yourself in extra parts. Swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck, if that is what you want. Or do nothing. Just enjoy it, whatever you do. Make others happy. LIVE. If want to ride, give me a call. I'll ride with ya.

Wow guys, what koolaid are you drinkin? your killing me........59 and still get excited everytime I throw a leg over my scooter....been down twice and got right back on......just get out and find your favorite twisties, guaranteed you will find that loving feeling once more

Oh ya, ride 250 miles a week to work, drove today and thought I was being tourchered, but to add I drive for a living....hate sitting in full grid stop and seeing bikes splitting lanes by me.

Just sayin

https://youtu.be/xEkB-VQviLI

• Member Contributer

Work, finances, family, love, traffic, speed limits, "I wanna go fast," come home alive, rubber side down, make it perfect, so much maintenance, the more bikes I own the more I have to fix. Shouldn't I be a responsible adult by now? Damn, I should've put my knee down in that corner. Its time to slow down. Restraint. Riding is dangerous. Calculated risk. ATGATT. My back hurts, my neck hurts, its hot, its cold, maybe one more farkle. You only live once. Wreck. Fix it. Part it. Too many responsibilities, not enough time. What do I do? New bike.

We've all been there, my friend. In your case, in addition to the above, you also created one of the best custom VFRs this world has ever seen. After I binned the BMW under conditions that were not even extreme, I was sitting next to the Killboy photographer waiting for my rescue squad (VFRD members, of course). He couldn't stop talking about how sweet your bike was, and showed me photos he had taken of your bike, with passion, with enthusiasm. It brought a smile to my face in a time where there should be no smiling. It brought perspective. I suspect that through all your hard work and success, your clear clutch covers that grace a number of the best VFRs on this forum, in creating your streetfighter: You blew your wad, and now you are in a refractory period. No matter how hard you try, you have to wait until that period is over. Just relax, appreciate your accomplishments, and temporarily put your burdens down. No need to carry them all the time, no matter how important: that would be exhausting. Appreciate your stress, your failures, your struggle. Adventures suck while you are having them. But take some time to look around and see your success. You have inspired many, and that is no small accomplishment.

Its OK to stop riding for a while or sell your bikes. Alternatively, its ok to keep them and bury yourself in extra parts. Swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck, if that is what you want. Or do nothing. Just enjoy it, whatever you do. Make others happy. LIVE. If want to ride, give me a call. I'll ride with ya.

Steve has some great points .

Nice read Steve!

I'm still just taking all the responses in. I usually get more stressed while taking a break than if I just roll back the pace a bit. If I take a break, I'm not getting anything done and I fall behind... work, life, whatever. I have to keep moving forward.

Duccmann, good on ya sir. I am happy for you. I freely admit to envying your excitement... that's exactly the "feeling like a kid happiness" that has escaped my riding. I don't know what else to say other than, it's complicated.

I owe some of you a pm... see if I find a few minutes this weekend.

70 and still riding, but I can understand why different people can lose the joy, and in so doing, can't get the drive to go for a ride. My excitement door was closed after two contacts with deer, it's not as much about hurt/damage, as it is the realization of 1st hand experience how quick these deer can get in front of me. I still go riding, but I don't have the joy to just breeze down the road, it's a constant search for those pesty things, which watching for people is more about intersections, where deer come out of no where with vegetation no more than 5 to 10 feet from the road, so if I drop the speed to a safe crawl, I've lost the joy.

There's different reasons for different people, work, time, family, obligations, draw the innocence of the ride, "Have no fear".

I've mentioned deer before, right after my 2nd deer strike, I've ridden all but 2 of the 48 continental States. WV. has the worst strike record, my State(VA.) comes in 2nd(I think) with 1 strike for every 112± vehicles. If that number was the odds for the Lottery I'd be buying tickets.

In general, keeping a mc for riding out of the routine day trips, like going to a State with the odds dropping, which is done two ways, the state has very little deer, or the space I'm riding in has wide open margins of space between the road and the brush.

Well wish's to you Speed, what ever you decide to do.

Your right Seb, thats all I knew when I was a kid and get the utterflys still, starting at 8, riding was my therapy from a dysfunctional family life..still feel the freedom it gave me.

Life kicks your ass as I well know, lost Dad, Sister to cancer, now Mom has Alzheimer's, and Son has epilepsy ....not to get off subject....but you have people depending on you and thats life, but you can not let fear rob US of what we truly love...and for me thats riding.

Told my wife if it comes down to any terminal illness or dementia, put me on my bike and point me to a cliff....and say pin it babe.

Was with out a bike for 10 years when my Son got sick, and finally realized the hole of emptiness I was experiencing, it was no ride in the garage.....not saying its a fix all but sure the hell helps me stay sane.

Find the Mofo brotha

• Member Contributer

Hey Seb, have you been checked out for depression. It can be cyclical; my cycle seems to be in years. Mine was chronic from adolescence; only discovered when I was almost 40 yr old. Meds make a difference.

(added) I get a big lift out of riding though. I figure I need the adrenalin, dopamine or what ever else feel-good stuff I'm missing. Stress can make it worse and sunshine can help it get better. So there's hope. Retirement was a Huge Help.

And I've been known to miss my meds occasionally. The voices occasionally convince me to skip them and set them (the voices) free. :goofy:

MaxSwell, on 16 Jul 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:snapback.png

Hey Seb, will you marry me?

Umm... what?!?

Terry... did you forget your meds again?!?

• 2 weeks later...

What also drags me down these days is how much time and effort it now seems to take to do to start each ride and to be ATGATT....

In my 30's I'd be off on my bike in like10 minutes, max, Everything just kinda easily fell into place like muscle memory, it seemed, Now it's more like 20, at least.....

It's really not more gear that is causing it but stuff like wallets, cell phones, keys, gloves, helmet, glasses....etc.... that just slows me down, add to that the trip to the gas station before getting on the highway.... on and off with the gloves, helmet, glasses.....wallet, tank bag, by the time I'm on the highway, a lot of the fun and excitement sometimes went away already.... then after the trip you just feel really beat up after all that. Maybe this is the real reason (in addition to the ever worsening traffic in SF) I quit commuting to work on my bike..... blehhhhh......I'm feeling ooold.... :sad:

• Member Contributer

What also drags me down these days is how much time and effort it now seems to take to do to start each ride and to be ATGATT....

In my 30's I'd be off on my bike in like10 minutes, max, Everything just kinda easily fell into place like muscle memory, it seemed, Now it's more like 20, at least.....

It's really not more gear that is causing it but stuff like wallets, cell phones, keys, gloves, helmet, glasses....etc.... that just slows me down, add to that the trip to the gas station before getting on the highway.... on and off with the gloves, helmet, glasses.....wallet, tank bag, by the time I'm on the highway, a lot of the fun and excitement sometimes went away already.... then after the trip you just feel really beat up after all that. Maybe this is the real reason (in addition to the ever worsening traffic in SF) I quit commuting to work on my bike..... blehhhhh......I'm feeling ooold.... :sad:

Yeah man! I feel your time-consumption pain exactly the same. Some Days! :lobby:

I hear you too, Beck. I go through the same agonies, but try to minimize the start delays by gassing up at the last available pump before getting home, checking the tires, fluids, chain, etc., right after I shut down. Can't avoid the AGATT and peripherals, but I still get the stomach clench as soon as I throw a leg over and fire it up. All is forgotten then.

I have been riding for three years and change. This both something I have worried about happening and felt from time to time. I grew up in western NC in the heart of the best roads in the world. I have skill (I think), I have bikes, I have gear. What I find frustrating is living now in the flat lands of eastern NC, I am only interested in riding when I can visit my parents back in the mountains. I ride about 7000 miles a year, 6,000 of which occur in the mountain roads. Down here in farm country I've always seeming to find some excuse. I think part of it is even if I'm not your average 22 year old on a GSXR or something, I enjoy the adrenaline of getting hot into turns and racing around the mountains. Just going out and cruising the flat lands does excite me enough to inspire me to ride often. I am constantly nit piking my two bikes looking for the next best thing, and can't say I have developed a passion for a specific bike, not yet anyways. Having had 7 bikes, this seems odd. Many of you [obviously] love the VFR and would never sell it. I personally didn't, and I sold it. I want to try longer trips, but the idea of huge mile crunching days leaves me feeling stressed and anxious, as does the search for the perfect bike that I know doesn't actually exist. I would love to race, but I simply cannot afford it.

So to sum that ramble up, I think the fear of losing my love for riding has caused me to become so picky sometimes that it limits my riding. Combined with being in a geographic location that doesn't make me happy and the just general perfectionist attitude I view my hobbies with sometimes stresses me.

Many times I have considered selling my bikes for a sports car, but I know that I will miss them. Riding is, to me, an evolution that is constantly changing throughout ones life. I know I love it, so I do what I do and ride my ride and see what happens along the way.

-PRB

• Member Contributer

Really putting myself out here now... my son is a little over 12. I'm 33. Back then I decided I would be a responsible adult and since I can't control myself on the bike, I have to refrain from riding. There, I said it.

I can't get tickets or crash if the bike is parked. It doesn't get dirty or require much maintenance that way either.

I can keep up on the lawn and home improvements with a little less stress if I'm not also worried about how to fit a ride in. If I don't ride,I can try to chew up all the other bike projects I bit off.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread for three weeks, but apparently I did. Great discussion! Family, friends, your job, or maybe your church -- these things are worth grinding through the rough patches. Recreational motorcycling? Probably not. Motorcycling is (for most of us, family guys especially) an expensive, fundamentally anti-healthy, somewhat selfish indulgence* -- like, say, cigar smoking. And like cigar smoking, I would not attempt to dissuade a buddy who said he'd lost his taste for it. Myself, I continue to throw time and stupid money at this pastime because it continues to enthrall me for all the usual reasons (the intoxicating sensory experience, the fantastic engineering, the hint of bad-assery, VFRD, etc.). However, if the spell broke tomorrow I would walk away without hesitation. (I might keep my gear, though, because the resale value is feeble and more than a few of us have experienced a rekindling of the old love.)

Anyway, I hope you re-discover your joy because I enjoy reading your stuff. But if it's time to turn the page on this chapter of your life, well then it's time.

* Naturally, this characterization does not apply if you use your motorcycle as an economical form of primary transportation.

• Member Contributer

I have been riding for three years and change. This both something I have worried about happening and felt from time to time. I grew up in western NC in the heart of the best roads in the world. I have skill (I think), I have bikes, I have gear. What I find frustrating is living now in the flat lands of eastern NC, I am only interested in riding when I can visit my parents back in the mountains. I ride about 7000 miles a year, 6,000 of which occur in the mountain roads. Down here in farm country I've always seeming to find some excuse. I think part of it is even if I'm not your average 22 year old on a GSXR or something, I enjoy the adrenaline of getting hot into turns and racing around the mountains. Just going out and cruising the flat lands does excite me enough to inspire me to ride often. I am constantly nit piking my two bikes looking for the next best thing, and can't say I have developed a passion for a specific bike, not yet anyways. Having had 7 bikes, this seems odd. Many of you [obviously] love the VFR and would never sell it. I personally didn't, and I sold it. I want to try longer trips, but the idea of huge mile crunching days leaves me feeling stressed and anxious, as does the search for the perfect bike that I know doesn't actually exist. I would love to race, but I simply cannot afford it.

So to sum that ramble up, I think the fear of losing my love for riding has caused me to become so picky sometimes that it limits my riding. Combined with being in a geographic location that doesn't make me happy and the just general perfectionist attitude I view my hobbies with sometimes stresses me.

Many times I have considered selling my bikes for a sports car, but I know that I will miss them. Riding is, to me, an evolution that is constantly changing throughout ones life. I know I love it, so I do what I do and ride my ride and see what happens along the way.

-PRB

That is an example of being spoiled after you have experienced the best. The same think happened to me with skiing. Enjoyed the small hills in MN but once I'd been Out West (esp Utah) skiing at home became ho hum. Now with riding, after enjoying the mid west for years, challenging riding has spoiled me for the mountains.

That, my friends, is Life.

Archived