Replace "girls"

with

"your bikes....."

:goofy:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I quit riding for about 7 years in my late 30's and early 40's. Too much family stuff and long work hours ruled the day. I got back into it 15 years ago with as much passion the second time around.

Time brings change. Never push yourself to ride, just do it when it feels right.

I'm willing to bet your love of riding will come back stronger than ever Sebastian.

Kimball

• Member Contributer

Gotta admit I wake up every mourning at 05:00 am roll the VFR out of the garage and fire that mother up . I want to ride more and more every year .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Seb, I think life and your post count may be catching up to you...:)

I struggle with the same thing with my MC, Snowmobiling and Mountainbiking.

These things tend to define us so when they become a "chore" it really messes with us mentally.

But, one thing that has not been brought up though, is the impact of these forums.

As great as they are they do tend to "replace" some things that riding gives us.

Meeting people, friendships, benchracing, tech talk, helping with maintenance ect.

These are things we can do on great rides, but now we can do them in our pajama's with no effort.

For me personally, I get the feeling back even after being on Vacation for a week and away from the Keyboard.

In fact, to keep me motivated to ride, I have promised myself not to surf my forums anytime except at work or really crappy weather days.

(on my lunch of coarse, this post not included :) ).

On last thing that has helped me, is to make sure you get enough sleep.

Again for me, raising 3 kids (son and twin girls) for the past 21 yrs, the 5-6 hrs just wasn't cutting it

at 46 plus years old. And Caffeine only made the good days better and the bad days much worse.

Have Fun!!!

Jon

• Member Contributer

I quit riding for about 7 years in my late 30's and early 40's. Too much family stuff and long work hours ruled the day. I got back into it 15 years ago with as much passion the second time around.

Time brings change. Never push yourself to ride, just do it when it feels right.

I'm willing to bet your love of riding will come back stronger than ever Sebastian.

Kimball

yea, what he said. riding passion ebbs and flows. if I've ever learned one thing, it's not to ride when I'm feeling it - rarely turns out well for me.

• Member Contributer

Seb, i dont know you but you sound like a nice level headed guy. I am 58 and was away from bikes for 30+yrs. Was passionate about my bikes but life got in the way so had to leave them. Been back onboard for 13 months and i love it. Your passion will come back, you are still young so just have a break, dont ride when your hearts not in it, things go wrong. Even now sometimes i go out and things don't feel right so i just come home. I think once a biker always a biker. It will come back, just enjoy your son now. My son is 25 and just got his first bike and its a whole new lease of life for me. Getting divorced has helped but thats by the by. It will come back. Take care.

• Member Contributer

Kimball

yea, what he said. riding passion ebbs and flows. if I've ever learned one thing, it's not to ride when I'm feeling it - rarely turns out well for me.

Yeah, what he said. The Girl and I were not going to ride this weekend because of the weather but 2 friends from Florida showed up Friday night with their bikes so we went out anyway. Great 380 mile spin on Saturday and then Donna and I both crashed 12 miles from the house on an wet off ramp full of oil yesterday (Sunday) morning. She saw me go down at very low speed and she tried to gently go straight into the grass but it was so slippery she just fell over too. The Girl has a strawberry knee and is a little sore and I fell off the CB so you basically can't tell I fell other than a small tear in my rear pocket and a scuff on the Jacket sleeve and shoulder. Very little damage, the CB took $67 in parts while the Tiger ended up with $147 damage if we live with a couple of minorly scuffed parts.

We would have never gone riding but "pushed" the issue. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Still have that lovin feeling though so live long and prosper and before you know it you will living the dream again Seb.

KEB

Seb, I feel sad for you if you lost your fire to ride, but, I been there, and got it back, several times.

We have to go back to years when I had got my 1987 VFR in 2001, did ride 2 seasons a lot, did a fork swamp as rear wheel swamp, then I lost the thrill. I eventually did not ride much for years, but still didn´t want to sell the bike, just did some small stuff and some ride to work. I decided I have to do a trip, and I did, but did actually put the stock fork on before that trip (as the setup had some issues). The trip was to Nurburgring, year was 2008 if some of you that been on this forum then recall, thanks Doug and the Dutch boys for that great time! I had the spark back. 2009 Wife and I got 2 kids, adopted, and it did put a new chalange to life, and less time to ride the VFR. Then I started to desire modern tires, and as I was not that pleased whit the fork mod I had done and did not want to do a other, I sold the 1987 VFR(reget big time) and did by a 5th gen. Great bike, so I been reading, and it was. The only problem was I needed more speed to get the thrill.I mean at speeds you felt like a hero on th 1987 VFR its just boring cruising on the 5the gen...The I got hit by a deer, not by the VFR, whit a 2 stroke RG250. Was lucky, I still walk, but it has left its scars. I did not ride much next season and decided to sell the VFR and get a Duralsport, and I did, but the Duralsport ended up to be a big project and the VFR did not sell, so I did not have funds to build it. This spring I did got the 5th gen sold, and had plans to finally rebuild the Duralsport, well a bit bored browsing on the net after I discovered the RG250 (that I got classic inspected for cheap insurence in January) had suffered from standing several years, a bad main bearing making noice, I found a sweet looking VF500F2 (even I was looking at 1986-87 VFRs), well need I say more, if you dont know about it go and look in the older VFR or Europe section. So it had a running problem that was just dirt in the tank (I belive) but as I after I did buy it (OK you did buy it for me Dutchy!) found out of the dropping valve problems, I now sit in a bubble that is like this: I have a Duralsport that is in parts and need funds and time to get on the road, A RG250 that need a crank rebuild, again time and money, and a sweet looking VF500 that I´m a bit afraid to ride becorse if it pops its a other bike in the garage whit a expensive bill to get to run and just found the perfect RWB 1986 VFR that I cant afford just now.......You see yourself in some of me, Seb? To much not finished projects, too little money and a family that takes more time that you actually wants to....well you have a running bike, that is not that fraglie.

But take your time, do some other stuff, and eventually you will get the thrill back, I know it will, it just needs time, time for you to slow down and enjoy the small things. As a other side I have bicycling, both road as mountainbike, and its a great other side for me. What works for you I cant tell, fishing, diving, ? can be what ever.

While I'm digesting everything else, I'll just add that I'm not pushing myself at all. I have learned many lessons over my riding years, some easy, some hard. Trusting my gut has been the most valuable, and I can only say that because I have those years of experience to draw from.

Keny your situation sure sounds familiar. My 6th gen should be very reliable, yes, but... it has over 45,000 miles on it now and I have to say that I am getting worried about when the stator will go - because we know it will... and that will cost big bucks to fix.

• Member Contributer

I have been riding 30 years + and over that time, I have had near continuous different genre of bikes, especially at least one sporty type bike and at least one cruiser style bike. I have found that if I dont have a bike style available for an extended period of time, like a season or two, the current style bike that I do have available starts to get old, and sure a bit boring. The last couple examples are ..... the last teardown of my viffer 7ish years or so, it was our for about a year and a half, with my OCD upgrades and what have you. Well that was fine, since I had my Valkyrie to ride. Then after a while for a season, the Valk got boring to me and with it, kinda the desire to ride that goes with it. One flavor riding, no complement. So, tinker with the viffer teardown in respite. I'm still a rider down to my bones, so I had to get out once in a while, but cruiser only was driving me nutz. So, finally the viffer is back together, and I got the fire back with that, the goofy crazy feeling to be on a fresh ride, and desire is back to get on it and often. The Valk got ignored for awhile, but a few months later, I seemed to strike a balance and have the itch to get on both. I need both to keep the ride interesting.

Fast forward to the last few years, I tore down the Valk to do of all things, just change the rear tire, and while I'm at it, just chrome a few things. The grocery list of course grows longer, and since I was out of work, no part are being bought and not much progress is going on. Back to that I have the viffer to ride, and I still like the thing, but again it only one style of riding. Hmmm, I forgot about this, I still like my viffer, but sporty riding only is getting dull. Riding desire is kinda going with it. Crap, I should have remembered, I need variety in riding styles to keep the fire alive. Gotta get the damn Valk back together soon!

Seb, possibly you need to try something that is goofy silly and make you laugh when you ride it and totally out of your norm. It looks like you have a steadyish stream of sport type bikes. Maybe you have been in this zone of falling for the romance of discovering a next project bike, and then reality sets in and you know its a ton of work, and you may not be in it totally. Suggestion - downsize.... ------

---Agonizing on ?- -----if you get a certain bike you would have to work on it? Suggestion, ----get something that you know you wont have to do a thing to except for tires and oil changes and a few personal farkles.

Just throwing out my 2 cents for info --- hope some of this helps. ....

:cool:

• Member Contributer

Esteemed board. I don't think what Seb is sharing is sad, but rather normal. Happens to all of us. At your young age Seb, with family commitments, totally understand. I had a bike embargo also when my son was born, and for quite some time after. Responsibilities and life gets in the way = A lot. Further, a very truthful statement was made earlier in this thread about moderation. Life simply doesn't allow for total immersion in any one thing. If that has happened, then you need a break. Simplify and de-stress. And discover new challenges. Look after what is primary and important. You'll feel the anvil come off your shoulders. Then you'll be able to focus further on what truly makes you happy. :-) Timing is everything too, but one truism I have come to believe is once a motorcyclist, always one. :-) The time will come to you when you feel it and need it. Or if other things fill that void, you'll know it. I don't know you, but wish you the very best in your thoughts and decision.

Also thanks for your wonderful work on the clutchcover too. :-)

Dave.

Fyi, I throw a vote in for summer riding as a PIA. ATTGAT is the rule and it really sucks at times. But once you're on it's good. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I just think you want to explore some other interest. Same old same old may be getting you down. All the many projects pending are weighing you down. Making you feel low. Get back to basics. Dial it back to zero and redefine what you want to do about motorcycling at that point. I am right there with you. My kids growing up, vacations to pay for life (wife) getting more complicated. If it werent' for the friendships I have through motorcycling I could see myself felling low enough to stop riding. Just remember, where ever a void in your life is created there is an opportunity for something better to fill it. Think positive dude. Haha.

I think I would mothball everything. Drain 'em, fog 'em, pull the batteries. Let them sit for a year. Do what you want to do this year... which apparently is not riding motorcycles. Next spring will roll around, maybe you'll feel like going for a ride, maybe not. At that point you can start making decisions, if you feel strongly.

• Member Contributer

I think I would mothball everything. Drain 'em, fog 'em, pull the batteries. Let them sit for a year. Do what you want to do this year... which apparently is not riding motorcycles. Next spring will roll around, maybe you'll feel like going for a ride, maybe not. At that point you can start making decisions, if you feel strongly.

+1

Roll On ..

I'm not going to be leaving VFRD and I don't think my garage will ever be completely devoid of a ready-to-ride motorcycle.

Really putting myself out here now... my son is a little over 12. I'm 33. Back then I decided I would be a responsible adult and since I can't control myself on the bike, I have to refrain from riding. There, I said it.

I can't get tickets or crash if the bike is parked. It doesn't get dirty or require much maintenance that way either.

I can keep up on the lawn and home improvements with a little less stress if I'm not also worried about how to fit a ride in. If I don't ride,I can try to chew up all the other bike projects I bit off.

I am definitely still making parts - I still put those first even though it takes a good bit of time away. It's the only way I can get a bit of play money actually.

I went through the same thought process when my daughter was born - but at the end of the day, I need something for me as well, like others have said, makes me a more balanced person & better for the other people in your life to boot. I also want her to grow up not being afraid of doing something because she might get hurt or because she is afraid to live her dreams.

Talking about it helps, hope you find a balance you can enjoy.

I used to say that I would collect cars and bikes if I ever won the lottery. Now I say, I'd buy them, enjoy using them, and sell them. For me, there is no great joy in looking at and caring for a collection. I do have regrets for some that I've let go but that's life. Never would have had some if others hadn't moved on.

I only ride when I can get to the mountains these days. So the VFR sits in the garage for all but two long weekends a year. They're worth it because I get to ride the way I want and I get away from my responsibilities for a few days. My wife makes sure that I go because I have tried to back out. Leaving home is the hardest part.

You are at a very important time in your family life. Do what makes it happy for all of you. As others have said, motorcycles will come back to you.

In the words of the late, great B.B. King - Never make a move too soon.

• Member Contributer

Completely understandable. Life changes and goes in a different direction. For me, having all the projects hanging over my head took the fun out and they've sat in the garage untouched. I commute 50 miles a day on the bike and that leaves me little weekend motivation to get on it too.

Give it a break for awhile and just decide not to ride, eliminate some of the clutter and wait for the motivation to come back. If you still haven't ridden in a year then reconsider if you want to keep going. Even if you decide 5 years later to start again, there are always good bikes out there.

BTW, I've got 104K on the bike now and never had a stator problem. Burnt connectors and bad batteries but nothing in the last 25K or so.

• Member Contributer

Dude,

Find your balance... like Slammer said, everything in moderation. Six projects in the garage and your day job is a lot of work, plus helping out schmuck's like me... hard to do something enjoyable and not feel guilty about what you "should" be doing.

I started riding as a teen and took time off for different reasons throughout my adult life... took a year off after being the first to arrive at a really bad scene; took 10 years off after being hit by a car while stopped at a stop sign and my wife was three months pregnant... that 10 years ended when my wife told me to go buy a bike, I wasn't the same without it.

Pull a Timmy and clear out the clutter... Do more of what makes you happy! (I just looked up at that saying framed in my office ;)

I've been in denial for a while now, but I'm afraid I've lost my desire to ride.

I can remember being really, really excited about getting a bike. Owning a bike. Riding the bike. That first week with my license!!

I don't have it anymore. I don't know why. I just don't have the urge anymore. It makes me sad. I think buying a brand new bike would be exciting, but as soon as I start thinking about "what would I buy if I had means to?", my mind immediately jumps to thoughts of having to do maintenance, cleaning, and basically I just get weighed down by all the downsides and it saps the fun out of it.

Yup. A couple of years back, I had the opportunity to buy anything I wanted, but at the time I thought, "What could/would I buy that would be better than the VFR?" More recently, I've realised that although I do enjoy my daily commute to work, that's ALL the riding I ever do or feel like doing About 11km each way). Plus, I never feel like doing anything to the VFR: no cleaning, as little maintenance as possible, no eyeing up new accessories.... Yet I used to be obsessive about bikes. :(

There was a time about 13 years back when my VFR750 got taken out by a dozy u-turning driver, and considered giving up bikes, but realised I wasn't done. Bought a VTR1000, then a couple of years later traded it on the VFR800.

So... I've been riding for nearly 43 years, and nearly 12 of those on the same bike. Maybe I'm just bored?

• Member Contributer

Trying to keep up with the maintenance on 7 bikes has me kind of overwhelmed myself. Plus with life and work I kind of feel the same way. Recently, I made the same decision Timmy did. I have started selling and giving away parts I had stashed away and thinning down the bike herd. My kids have moved out and it is now time for me and the wife to travel more. The more stuff I get out of the way the more I want to ride. Take a break, find the balance, and life will be better.

• Member Contributer

Don't sweat it, dude.

As many have mentioned, the love for riding comes and goes as other things in life take precedence.

I'll share my experience to put things into perspective; I started riding later in life, in my early 30s. Being older and, yes, more mature (read boring), I've never felt that childish exuberance from riding. I expected it, but, alas, it didn't happen for me. I've also realized that I can't enjoy the ride if I feel that it is at the expense of other, more important things.

To cope, I have managed my own expectations to where I consider it a good year to have a couple of nice local rides and the annual pilgrimage to T-Mack. Even better if I don't have to paint plastics and straighten brackets :)

What I am trying to say, is; Relationships don't last - They evolve. Just go with it.

• Member Contributer

+1 on taking a year to make a "big" decision in life...I've done that several times for things that are not time sensitive, yet have life altering implications. One for me was a tattoo, the other was the decision to go into the military after college and there are more. If you aren't pressed for time...fog em, tender em and put them away for a year and see how it feels...

It feels much better to make a decision and move on...even if that decision is to take a year off...and THEN decide.

I have kids from 24-18 and another two who are 8 and 6...

I love my wife and all my kids. I love riding, trackdays etc...I live my buddies I ride with as well. I like my job a whole lot...and right now I don't do any more than two or three rides a year that are just for me and multi-day rides. I do get to commute in DC traffic, but that's jousting more than enjoyable...

Whatever your decision, don't sweat it too much. Go with your gut...in the end you can always change your mind...if that's what your gut tells you.

Matt

I have been driving or over 50 years and it ebbs and flows as life changes. I am in my sixties so I do not put on the mileage that I used to but i still enjoy a weekend away with a chum or two. Live your own life.

Archived