Motogp 2015 Season . . . Five Manufacturers! W/spoilers

choco

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

He's not there, yet, but he took one major step closer to his 10th title: With three races to go and an 18 point lead, finishing directly behind a winning Lorenzo each race = only 15 points lost. Obviously, the Hondas and even the Ducatis could spoil this plan, but Rossi will definitely be smiling at this point. (Not to mention nearly getting pole--in the dry. Lorenzo's qualifying advantage may be disappearing...) :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

He clearly looked after his tyres better than Lorenzo did, or was able to exploit the deteriorating grip better. Whichever, a great ride from Rossi.

And great to see Dani ride so well too.

What was Marquez's excuse?

• Member Contributer

He clearly looked after his tyres better than Lorenzo did, or was able to exploit the deteriorating grip better. Whichever, a great ride from Rossi.

MM's? he was injured. He broke his left hand in a bicycling accident. Watch his off the line take off at the start of the race, very poor start, not that he is a great starter to begin with.

• Member Contributer

MM's? he was injured. He broke his left hand in a bicycling accident. Watch his off the line take off at the start of the race, very poor start, not that he is a great starter to begin with.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

• Member Contributer

Lorenzo was screaming fast in the first half of the race. If you go back and watch his close up shots, he's almost getting his elbow down in full wet conditions with rooster tails shooting up from the tires! I wish they had shown the lean angle data like they often do in dry races. Today's tire technology is amazing, but as a few dry lines started showing up in corners, his speed dropped considerably. He would likely have run away with the win had the rain kept coming and the track stayed soaked. Pedrosa and Rossi must be better weather forecasters. :491:

• Member Contributer

and you can observe that Rossi take different lines as he follows Lorenzo, riding outside the dry line on straights, give that little bit more cooling...

• Member Contributer

MM knows he can't finish better than third in the championship and only had to finish in fourth place to keep that. Why risk another dnf and lose more points on a wet track. Just my opinion. After the season he has had I think at this point he is just going to be happy to finish third in the championship.

• Member Contributer

MM knows he can't finish better than third in the championship and only had to finish in fourth place to keep that. Why risk another dnf and lose more points on a wet track. Just my opinion. After the season he has had I think at this point he is just going to be happy to finish third in the championship.

I agree .

• Member Contributer

You'd think he would have learned that lesson early enough in the season not to throw away his chances. Maybe he finally learned from Rossi that if your bike is only good enough for 3rd, "I push and I push" to 3rd. If it's good enough for 4th, push your way to 4th. If it's good enough for 1st, win that race....and win your 10th championship! MM has habitually tried to race for 1st when his bike setup wasn't even capable of a podium. Because of that, I wouldn't doubt if he's set a record for crashes or DNF's by a reigning champion.

• Member Contributer

You'd think he would have learned that lesson early enough in the season not to throw away his chances. Maybe he finally learned from Rossi that if your bike is only good enough for 3rd, "I push and I push" to 3rd. If it's good enough for 4th, push your way to 4th. If it's good enough for 1st, win that race....and win your 10th championship! MM has habitually tried to race for 1st when his bike setup wasn't even capable of a podium. Because of that, I wouldn't doubt if he's set a record for crashes or DNF's by a reigning champion.
Agree with everything. I think age and pride is what killed him this year. He would be way closer in points, and possibly fighting for 2nd place on the podium, if he would have backed off a little and accepted that he was riding the bike, and tire set up, to it's limits. Dnf's definitely do not give you any points. I would bet that is going to be the topic of many discussions he and his team have during the off season.

• Member Contributer

^ And perhaps next year Honda wont start with a chassis that doesn't work as well as the previous years bike. I agree with you both that MM is gaining wisdom instead of experience this year.

• Member Contributer

^ And perhaps next year Honda wont start with a chassis that doesn't work as well as the previous years bike. I agree with you both that MM is gaining wisdom instead of experience this year.

Come on 2016 !

• Member Contributer

...I wouldn't doubt if he's set a record for crashes or DNF's by a reigning champion.

Well he did get the distinction of having the fastest ever MotoGP crash: 337.9 KM/H; 209.9 MPH I believe it was Mugello 2013

• Member Contributer

As seen in the movie "Hitting the apex"!!! ( see the Racing Talk sub-forum :cheerleader:)

• Member Contributer

It's not just the chassis, it's the engine and the engine issues have been more important than the chassis issues. HRC always has a chip on their shoulder and hated seeing Ducati being fastest in the trap speeds so they went for max power for 2015 with the engine (which can no longer be updated during the season which is a dumb rule that guess who, HRC, wanted). The main problem they've had all year is rear grip, too much spinning, and problems with engine braking. So to compensate they change geometry with the settings, loading the front to steer more with the front instead of the rear, which is MM's preferred method. They took it on the chin this year and will certainly fix it. They've already been riding the 2016 RCV once or twice this year at the post race tests.

Dont know about all that but I do remember MM being quoted as saying returning to the old frame and new swingarm made the bike work .

It made the bike better for sure. He has said several times that the power delivery of the engine was too aggressive and that's where his problems were coming from.

• Member Contributer

Dont know about all that but I do remember MM being quoted as saying returning to the old frame and new swingarm made the bike work .

It made the bike better for sure. He has said several times that the power delivery of the engine was too aggressive and that's where his problems were coming from.

That's a first for me . I know Honda said it thought it was the power BUT never heard MM say that .

• Member Contributer

You might also recall Honda putting a different exhaust on Dani's bike, this was from what I understood, to help with power delivery. Marquez went back to the old swing arm but kept the same exhaust, Dani kept the current swing arm but had the new exhaust.

• Member Contributer

That's a first for me . I know Honda said it thought it was the power BUT never heard MM say that .

He has said it all year. Engine is too aggressive, causing too much rear spin, and problems with engine braking. As was pointed out, going to the old chassis helped but problem is there still. Why do you think he has put it in the litter so many times this year? He has to over ride the front to compensate.

• Member Contributer
Why do you think he has put it in the litter so many times this year? He has to over ride the front to compensate.

Because he didn't ride smart and finish the race with decent points instead of riding over the bike's capabilities for the win every time. :wink:

Pretty much every champion in the last 30 years has ridden a bike that had issues that had to be overcome. The champions settled for points on those days that the bike just didn't have what it took to compete for the podium.

• Member Contributer

His ambitions exceed his abilities... :goofy:

Now where have heard THAT before...............

Archived