Rear Wheel

3dcycle

Rear Wheel Weight(s)

credit to: www.hondacb1000r.com - except for 8th Gen 10 spoke - 3dcycle

CB1000R 15 lbs, 10 oz
VFR800 5 spoke (1998-2009) 13 lbs, 4.6 oz
VFR750 8 spoke ('90-'93? something like that) 12 lbs, 11.8 oz

VFR800F 10 spoke (2014-2016) 13lbs 13.5oz
There's another 5 spoke used from '94-'97, but it's 170, not 180 width. Probably lighter, though!

I've got all three wheels and weighed them at my local post office on the same scale.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Perhaps I'm missing something here but, if the new ten spoke wheel is slightly heavier and costs around $900 to fit, what exactly is the point?

I think it's just mostly an aesthetic exercise as the 6th gen and earlier VFRS just do not have the power to take advantage of the 1200's wider/heavier wheel......

I suspect the bike will just end up feeling sluggish and slow, especially in turns.....

Most likely, the 6th gen cannot take it's stock rear wheel and tire to anywhere near their limits......unless maybe one recruits the services of a pro racer to wring the bike for all its worth on a track.

13 pounds?

The 1098s rear wheel in my 5th gen only weighs 7.85 lbs according to the Internet.

And it looks awesome with a 6inch rear on it.

• Member Contributer
Oh on the bearing holders, you will find they are the same on all Honda VFR models, 400, 750, 800's etc They were also used on the NTV range & by Ducati (no we didn't steal your idea honest !) I think Triumph used them to, but can't say that for definate.

In terms of whether the axles can be swapped, this may be more or less true, but the bearing holders themselves are not necessarily swappable among all Honda SSSA-equipped models. Rather than hijack this thread, I've started a new one here.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Rear Wheel Weight(s)

credit to: www.hondacb1000r.com - except for 8th Gen 10 spoke - 3dcycle

CB1000R 15 lbs, 10 oz

VFR800 5 spoke (1998-2009) 13 lbs, 4.6 oz

VFR750 8 spoke ('90-'93? something like that) 12 lbs, 11.8 oz

VFR800F 10 spoke (2014-2016) 13lbs 13.5oz

There's another 5 spoke used from '94-'97, but it's 170, not 180 width. Probably lighter, though!

I've got all three wheels and weighed them at my local post office on the same scale.

Thanks for the data. I would not have guessed that the 8 spoke would have turned out to be the lightest of the 3.

• Member Contributer

Excellent job of researching this out !

Here, here, agreed.

Since the 8-spoke is virtual unobtainium and now this 10 spoke option.......

That wheel looks so good in the factory colour, hmmm may have to go shake the piggy bank and consider.

Euphemism intended. :biggrin:

Before and after photochop with a 10 spoke:

Wow, the 10 spoke makes the bike look so much more modern and lightweight - even though it adds a bit. And the wheel itself is very nice looking!

Just like wheels can make or break whether you like the look of a car or not......the problem with bike is that they are way more wheel-specific...........

To each's own - some will like it, some will not. That's awesome that 3d can offer a bolt on kit if it works - most aftermarket rim upgrades are many thousands of dollars, and would only be justified for racing/shedding weight - not touring or just upgrading the look.

• Member Contributer

Just to add another wheel weight in to the mix.

RC45 6.0" factory wheel = 5200g (11.46lb)

• Member Contributer

And to top it off the BST RC45 Carbon 5.75" road rim I'm using is 3Kg (6.6lb). The race wheel is lighter, as it uses a magnesium alloy centre.

• Member Contributer

Surely, you're not going to use the original front wheel with the awesome new 10-spoker? Get out that checkbook! :wink:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

For now I will be. Need to build up the savings again. Took a year for me to buy the rear. We will see about the front

• Member Contributer

Went and got the bike out today, up on the lift. Going to let it warm up for a little while before I get going on it. Will take and post measurements When I tear it apart.

post-13027-0-91262100-1456077481.jpeg

post-13027-0-26286700-1456077501.jpeg

• Member Contributer

had to remove chain guard to get better measurements

IMG_1289.jpg

old and new axles

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

this is the only place where I found a big difference in any measurements that I took. the new one is a little longer

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

so all in all it fits, the threads on the axle do stick out past the nut more than original but I may order a 8th gen nut or stack another stock washer under the nut and it would be perfect fit.

oh and the wheel lip on the new wheel is a little different style then on the 6 gen so it was difficult to get good numbers there but I am pretty sure it is close enough not tot cause any issues

• Member Contributer

This looks to be the first of its kind swap. Nice job! Looking forward to seeing more photos of it when it's finished.

• Member Contributer

thanks I was kinda scared that it was not going to work, but now it looks like it will be fine. I wont be having a tire on that wheel for a few days, waiting on a couple of parts for my tire machine, some new plastic anti scratch pads. no scratchy the new wheel.

also I am going to get a new axle nut and the washer under it, It looks like the nut could bottom out on the shaft before getting to full torque. it may not but I don't want to risk it.

Awesome work!

Got my wheel today
Ran it by the big boss today, thinking about doing a 8 gen wheel package. As long as I do all the leg work and shipping they will let me do a group buy on these. Don't have a concrete price yet have to look into it more and make sure it's going to fit. But expect I could pass on a 3-400$ savings.

You are the man for putting this together!

• Member Contributer

Awesome work!

Got my wheel today

Ran it by the big boss today, thinking about doing a 8 gen wheel package. As long as I do all the leg work and shipping they will let me do a group buy on these. Don't have a concrete price yet have to look into it more and make sure it's going to fit. But expect I could pass on a 3-400$ savings.

You are the man for putting this together!

X2 !

• Member Contributer

I just looked up a bunch of parts as well, there are a lot of parts that match up, all the axle bearings are the same. the driven flange and dampners. the hub and carrier come up with different numbers. I found it to be kind of funny though, every time a part matched from 6 gen to 8 gen it also fit the cb1000r.

CB1000R rear wheel bolts up directly, and is rather inexpensive!

And you still have one...in storage here in PTC.

• Member Contributer

So my understanding is you need an axle, disc, and the wheel and its pretty much just a bolt on swap?

yea did not need to have anything machined or pounded on. a couple of my numbers comparing the wheels came out different on each wheel but the lip of the wheel is shaped different causing a mm or 2 difference.

Archived