Blessed To Be Alive!

napcool

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say that I am truly blessed to live another day and to be able to write this. I got into a bike accident yesterday morning. A driver of a Ford truck was taking a left turn and he did not see me coming, I breaked as hard as I could eventually ended up hitting the right rear end of a Ford truck. I was blessed to comeout of the accident with just a bruised shoulder...feeling much better now. But sadly my VFR didn't make it. IT saddens me deeply, I was loving the whole riding experience and now it just feel like I lost a part of me. Eventhough the rest of my bike is fine. The Handle and the front of bike is damaged. I am guessing it is totalled. Not sure what to do next with the bike.

I just wanted share my experience, hopefully it could help someone in the future

1. Always wear your safety gear ( I had my helmet, armored jacket and jeans on...The jacket litteraly saved me)

2. Be extremly cautious when going through a junction

3. Make sure your breaks are in perfect working condition

4. Tire has the right pressure....especially in the winter

5. Accidents are part of life....Just get up and ride again

Once my insurance is sorted out. I look forward to riding again. Till then be safe and have fun.

post-30708-0-45085500-1416800926.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry to read about your accident, glad you were not badly hurt and able to tell the story. Situations like this cross my mind a lot when I am riding, been lucky so far. I hope it all works out for you with the insurance company.

• Member Contributer

Glad that you are still with us! You will be back on the road again in no time thanks to wearing all of your gear!

• Member Contributer

1++ on the above, glad you made it only bruised and you can always buy your bike back from the insurance co and rebuild or it's a great time to pick up another pretty reasonably. Seems like there have been some pretty good deals in our classifieds

• Member Contributer

Nap,

Glad to hear you are ok. Tough call on left turners, sometimes the split second decision maneuver doesn't work. Had a couple of those.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the fairing and bracket took most of the impact. Rest of the bike may be ok. Have your local shop

do a total est. and a rebuild est. and maybe you can save it, or buy it from the ins. co. if they make it a total. A good service manager can

make it happen. Good luck!

Ded

• Member Contributer

From the looks of it it seems amazing you weren't injured. Glad you're OK. Thanks for the reminder to ride heads up and have ATGATT.

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your crash and glad you are mostly ok,bikes can be replaced,I see situations like this all the time,there's a lot of dangerous drivers about,they just don't see bikes or recognise them as a threat.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're OK and hope you can get back on the road again soon. Sorry about your bike too.

With that, this is a great time to remind everyone that during the holiday season, the lack of attention and the amount of distractions from driving gets worse. Too many people preoccupied with phone calls, text messages, party plans, shopping list, etc... Ride with your head on swivel, check your 6 and be extra cautious, especially at intersections. At of course ATGATT and ride safe!

• Member Contributer

Thank goodness it wasn't worse for you.....as they say, they bike can always be fixed, you not necessarily.

Not sure how it works over there but I bought my write-off 5th Gen hback from the insurance company after an idiot hit me, helped a m8 rebuild it and did another 90k on it!

Worth considering.

Very happy you're OK, napcool. Bikes can be fixed or replaced, and you obviously have the right perspective on the whole incident.

Glad you're OK and hope you can get back on the road again soon. Sorry about your bike too.

With that, this is a great time to remind everyone that during the holiday season, the lack of attention and the amount of distractions from driving gets worse. Too many people preoccupied with phone calls, text messages, party plans, shopping list, etc... Ride with your head on swivel, check your 6 and be extra cautious, especially at intersections. At of course ATGATT and ride safe!

I agree 100% with Duc2V4 - this is probably the worst season for motorcycling. I love riding into December, weather permitting, but sometimes the risk just isn't worth it, as drivers are even more distracted this time of year than usual. :sad:

• Member Contributer

Glad you are ok! If you weren't wearing your gear, things could have been very different.

It is amazing how often left turning drivers don't see the motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

In addition to what has already been said about your condition, and the inattention of fellow road users during the holidays (every day?) it's worth mentioning that most road users have trouble judging the speed of an oncoming bike even in the rare occasions when they actually see you. I am Mr. Speed Limit (or below) in populated areas for that reason. Trust no one.

• Member Contributer

Remarkably similar to my 5th gen's fate! I parted everything out to the good folks here, so in a way she lives on!

Archived