Helmets On Mirrors

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Am I the only one who thinks it's gross to hang a helmet on a mirror that has dead bugs & whatnot on it?? :huh:

• Member Contributer

I've never done that either, just too...YUCK. And I've also heard that the small edge of the mirror will compress the foam in a helmet, relatively heavy weight concentrated in a small area type of thing.

Some mirrors, like the metal ones on older bikes, also tend to ding up the crushable foam in a helmet that can eventually affect its performance, so it has always been considered a no-no to hang helmets on mirrors for some many years already....

And I've also heard that the small edge of the mirror will compress the foam in a helmet, relatively heavy weight concentrated in a small area type of thing.

:1: And I've seen them being nodged off mirrors by people walking past a bike too close. I allways put my helmet on the ground, and sometimes that means a (living) bug crawls into my helmet. Fortunately we don't have venomous creatures here.

• Member Contributer

Every helmet I've owned came with instructions stating Never Hang Your Helmet On It's Interior. Serious Compromise Of Helmet Safety.

DON'T Do It!

• Member Contributer

I don't do it because I don't want my helmet bouncing off the ground. I either put it on the ground, use the helmet lock or hang it from the passenger peg. The helmet lock is best.

• Member Contributer

With today's aerodynamic mirrors giving quite a bit of horizontal surface area, I doubt there will be any damage as long as the helmet is not placed on the mirrror in a ham fisted manner.

One advantage of today's removable liners is that you can see if there has been any compression of the styrofoam material. If you've got a helmet that you are about to retire, inspect the foam and then hang it on the mirror for a day or two, then inspect again. If you don't get any deformation, you sure won't get it during a short lunch break. Please don't start in on the BS that the damage may not be visible, as this isn't your noggin spreading the force over a large area. It is a specific area on the interior surface of foam...it will be noticeable if it is compromised.

• Member Contributer

I eat enough bugs while riding not to worry about the bugs on my mirror getting on my helmet. It's not like you're hanging your helmet on a gas station toilet seat. Also, I'm pretty sure the Arai doesn't weigh enough to damage itself hanging on a mirror. :cool:

• Member Contributer

For me when you leave on the mirror it easier for someone to knock it off when they walk by ..

Possibly, but I see many people sitting their helmets on their tanks or tank bags, which is a much more precarious perch on some tanks. While a person might not physically brush the helmet in that location, even a slight tap of the front tire or clip-ons might be enough to cause a helmet to topple.

If I'm stopped for an extended period, I carry my helmet with me. If it's just for a bite to eat and I can see the bike, I sometimes gently place it on the mirror. I like bugs. :wink: If it is a situation where I need to lock the helmet, I most likely will have the hard bags on the bike and use them instead of using the bike's annoying helmet lock.

• Member Contributer

If I'm just hanging out near the bike I may, on occasion, place the helmet on the mirror but more than just it falling off is why I don't. There have been a few occasions where some unscrupulous bastage has taken someone's helmet because it wasn't locked down. Probably only a little sting in helmet optional states, but in helmet law states, that could royally screw up your day to find your lid missing. As far as placing on the bike, other than the helmet lock, I find it more dangerous as I have had a few helmets over time take a dive off the bike, and yes, the helmets were replaced, especially the one that had a huge chip taken out it!

• Member Contributer

I have a short nylon strap with a quick release buckle - goes through the face of the helmet and around the grab handle. The helmet sits on the seat with no chance of hitting the ground while fueling, parked, etc. I do though take the helmet with me if I'm parked and leaving the bike.

• Member Contributer

For me when you leave on the mirror it easier for someone to knock it off when they walk by ..

Possibly, but I see many people sitting their helmets on their tanks or tank bags, which is a much more precarious perch on some tanks. While a person might not physically brush the helmet in that location, even a slight tap of the front tire or clip-ons might be enough to cause a helmet to topple.

If I'm stopped for an extended period, I carry my helmet with me. If it's just for a bite to eat and I can see the bike, I sometimes gently place it on the mirror. I like bugs. :wink: If it is a situation where I need to lock the helmet, I most likely will have the hard bags on the bike and use them instead of using the bike's annoying helmet lock.

I usually place my gloves palm up on the ground and put my helmet on top of them.

I have never had a helmet fall off of the ground but have seen several fall off of seats and other areas.

Do not put your helmet on the fuel tank over the gas cap as vapor from the cap venting can damage your polystyrene liner.

• Member Contributer

Do not put your helmet on the fuel tank over the gas cap as vapor from the cap venting can damage your polystyrene liner.

I see people doing that all the time. Some of those people have chastised me for hanging mine on the mirror.

BTW, sitting your helmet on the ground is just as dangerous as hanging or sitting it on the bike. Those same guys that will bump it off the mirror or seat will kick it soccer style down the parking lot. :wink:

The safest way to protect the helmet is to just keep wearing it! It makes things interesting if you are buying something at the liquor store. :491:

:wheel:

I tend to avoid the helmet lock on the side as it crushes the foam at the base by the way it hangs and can also get chain grease on it (got a nice grease stain on my ol' fluffy cover now)

The mirror is my next choice, and with the aftermarket mirrors I have on there it sits very snugly with a good 5-6" of contact across the top of the mirror, so its not even as bad as putting your hand in and holding it up with a fist. If the handlebars are turned full left and locked with the key the right bar/brake lever sits inside the helmet too so there's something extra to catch if someone walks into it.

When I start up at uni again next year I'm thinking of taking a little bicycle chain to put through the D-Rings and jacket to avoid possible theft while hangin on the front. I've seen quite a few that use a bicycle chain and leave it just sitting over the triples too.

• Member Contributer
I usually place my gloves palm up on the ground and put my helmet on top of them.

I have never had a helmet fall off of the ground but have seen several fall off of seats and other areas.

"I have never had a helmet fall off the ground" ... lovin it.

I place mine on the ground as well. Like a previous poster, had something crawling around once (ant?) and had to pull over but I now take a look first before putting it back on.

I guess this is a "cruiser" advantage for those of you looking for reasons to mature up and get one :)

• Member Contributer

For a short stop, mine goes on the right grip/brake lever and it's pretty stable. Off the bike for more than a few minutes and it goes with me. If we are on the ST they both go in the lockable storage if empty. Never use the under seat helmet lock...they are a PITA.

did you know you can hang the helmet from the mirror with the part in front of the mouth supporting the weight?? :goofy: Then get a papertowel to clean it? :goofy::cheerleader: but for some strange reason my vfr has a helmet lock i wonder why honda put that there??? :goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy::beer:

• Member Contributer

If you have hard cases mounted to the VFR, the underseat helmet hanger is useless. Even without luggage it's a PITA to use. Unless you just like taking your seat on and off... :goofy:

oops my 86 gear cammed vfr700 has it under the seat don't have to take the seat off- :goofy: hard cases they make those for the g model??? :goofy: who where how much please add a link :schla15:

Archived