Helmets On Mirrors

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

If you have hard cases mounted to the VFR, the underseat helmet hanger is useless. Even without luggage it's a PITA to use. Unless you just like taking your seat on and off... :goofy:

You are correct, but with one of these...

3337_image1.gif

And they fit easily inside the Sargent seat storage compartment. I put them in with my insurance paperwork and they don't even rattle.

• Member Contributer

When I start up at uni again next year I'm thinking of taking a little bicycle chain to put through the D-Rings and jacket to avoid possible theft while hangin on the front. I've seen quite a few that use a bicycle chain and leave it just sitting over the triples too.

I wouldn't put it through the D-rings. Thieves tend to just cut the strap off and make off with the helmet. Yes the helmet is now useless, but it's still gone. Run it through the visor and play it safe.

I usually just leave it in the top case if I have it, or just bring it along with me.

• Member Contributer

I made sure that my helmet is "used" enough not to attract thieves and not to be too upset if it falls.

For temporary rest stops, I put it on the mirror through the vizor opening. This makes for a very secure mount. Secure from a fall, that is.

I wouldn't put it through the D-rings. Thieves tend to just cut the strap off and make off with the helmet. Yes the helmet is now useless, but it's still gone. Run it through the visor and play it safe.

I usually just leave it in the top case if I have it, or just bring it along with me.

---

Fair enough, I'll do just that. I generally consider university to be a safe (ish) spot compared to most places as there's always groups of people nearby and if anybody (especially another biker) sees a person cutting the strap off a helmet chances are they'd do something about it.

The first part of last year I just carried it with me but found this remarkably annoying, second semester and the beginning of this year I just hung it on the mirror with no attachment at all, many others did the same and I never heard of one being stolen.

I'm looking to transfer to a different campus next semester though, one I'm unfamiliar with and further from home so a little added security wouldn't be a terrible idea

• Member Contributer

I've never tried it but you should be able to use something like this thru the visor opening with the bike's helmet lock.

tie down strap extenders

• Member Contributer

---

Fair enough, I'll do just that. I generally consider university to be a safe (ish) spot compared to most places as there's always groups of people nearby and if anybody (especially another biker) sees a person cutting the strap off a helmet chances are they'd do something about it.

The first part of last year I just carried it with me but found this remarkably annoying, second semester and the beginning of this year I just hung it on the mirror with no attachment at all, many others did the same and I never heard of one being stolen.

I'm looking to transfer to a different campus next semester though, one I'm unfamiliar with and further from home so a little added security wouldn't be a terrible idea

I always took my helmet to class with me in college (university) in the mid 80's. Cagers were jealous of our motorcycle parking area right between two of the most prominent buildings on campus. I saw where people had put gum in helmets, and stuffed half eaten sandwiches, etc. in them. I wasn't about to let somebody do that to my first ever Arai helmet! (Schwantz F1 replica)

I've never tried it but you should be able to use something like this thru the visor opening with the bike's helmet lock.

They could cut that strap and have a functioning helmet still though.

Archived