How $5 Turns Into $500

nedhills

So there was a ticking noise in my 1983 vf750f interceptors rear cylinder so I took it apart the head and shure enough I found one of my rocker arms looking like this126_1416_zps03ed464b.jpg

so I started to take the bolt for the rocker arm out to replace it with one on my parts bike and found that the bolt cannot come out with the engine on the frame :mad:

126_1415_zps590d02b8.jpg

then I finally had it all apart about an hour later...

126_1418_zpsb16c0604.jpg

and got the rocker arm out...

126_1419_zps9952dd5a.jpg

another bonus is that the cams were still fine and my parts bike had the upgraded banjo bolts (sorry about the quality)

8c874b5f-752b-4864-abad-de1ba0754ead_zps

I then put everything back together only to find that my bike wouldn't start :pissed: I then found out my timing was a little off so I took apart the head again to fix it. when I was putting the pin to hold the cam chain tensioner in place I accidentally dropped it into the case :pissed:. this turned out to be a good thing because when I took the tensioner off I saw that a part of the cam chain guards had broken off. so now I am completely rebuilding the engine. I will get the cylinders honed, get the intake and exhaust re machined, get new piston rings and a new gasket set. I'm in the process of the tear down and will keep you guys posted on how it goes

• Member Contributer

Dang! I thought this was going to be a How To Get Rich thread. Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be a How To Get Poor(er) thread.

The last oil change I did on my 105K old gal had gold flakes in the discard. I'm afraid to have the next discard analysed. I'm not really in the mood to learn how to rebuild a VFR engine.

Hope your rebuild goes well.

• Member Contributer

Dang! I thought this was going to be a How To Get Rich thread. Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be a How To Get Poor(er) thread.

lol - me too! Was thinking - Damn! Hit the lotto..... :cool:

I know where you can get a set of 700 pistons... (increase compression!)

That would be awesome!!! Where?

I got some progress today!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... somethings missing but I just cant put my finger on it.

126_1434_zpsb10fc80e.jpg

Got the engine out!!!!

126_1428_zps2b8421e7.jpg

126_1429_zpsc4a3622f.jpg

Also got the parts bike set up for the tear down

126_1435_zpsa0809301.jpg

126_1436_zpsb8ac20e1.jpg

Thats it for today!

• Member Contributer

lol - me too! Was thinking - Damn! Hit the lotto..... :cool:

same here . . . :blush:

• Member Contributer

That is the classic First Gen top end failure. I'd suggest replacing all of the rockers and any of the cams that are showing damage. Also don't forget to install a oiling mod to prevent it from happening again.

That is the classic First Gen top end failure. I'd suggest replacing all of the rockers and any of the cams that are showing damage. Also don't forget to install a oiling mod to prevent it from happening again.

That's the plan! Surprisingly I measured the two rear cylinder cams with a micrometer and they were still to Honda spec. one of them was a little scored so I replaced it with my parts bike one.

• Member Contributer

Nedhills, sorry to hear you are $500 poorer! Hope it all goes together well. I fought with a similar problem before, after I did something I am too embarrassed to mention now.

What I ended up doing was replacing the rocker arm from a VF750C (Sabre/Magna). I bought 4 on ebay and used the best looking one. The oil orafice was larger, if I remember correctly, on the VF750C rocker than the VF750F ('84). I can't remember if I swapped the rockers to have the smaller oil hole closer to the banjo bolt or to another spot. I figured it may affect oil pressure, but have gone quite far since the fix and no significant clearance change.

So for your rebuild, check the oil hole diameters to ensure your are getting the correct rockers you want.

Cheers and good luck.

• Member Contributer

You guys amaze me...

Now if you need a root canal, I might be able to help ya! :wacko:

I have more 700 and 750 parts than you can shake a stick at. PM me with what you need and what yer paying for it, and I will get to work.

sweet! I'll see what i'll need after the tear down.

• Member Contributer

I have more 700 and 750 parts than you can shake a stick at. PM me with what you need and what yer paying for it, and I will get to work.

Are they on E-Bay? :lobby:

• 3 months later...

SHE RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after countless hours I finally got her back together and took her for the first ride today. I missed filling up my gas tank for $20 my truck was getting pretty annoying.

• Member Contributer

You guys amaze me...

Can you root canal the VFR700 motor.

Nice gesture, funny you should mention root canal I was told Friday number 4 abscessed. Bring a dreaml and some novocaine. I would just as soon pay you.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

It's good to see that the guys here work on their bikes. I'm an active member of the CB1100F forum and it's a given that if you own one, you do your own work. As I plan to eventually add an Interceptor to the fleet, I can see that there's plenty here I can learn.

Hope the rebuild goes smoothly. The bike looks pretty sweet.

You guys amaze me...

Nice gesture, funny you should mention root canal I was told Friday number 4 abscessed. Bring a dreaml and some novocaine. I would just as soon pay you.

I've witnessed a carb sync by flashlight at TMAC but never root canal. Do it! ;)

• Member Contributer

You guys amaze me...

I've witnessed a carb sync by flashlight at TMAC but never root canal. Do it! ;)

Me too I have Seb seen tear down the whole front forks on a 02 to discovered a bent front axle and then use the curb and hammer to almost fix it .

It's good to see that the guys here work on their bikes. I'm an active member of the CB1100F forum and it's a given that if you own one, you do your own work. As I plan to eventually add an Interceptor to the fleet, I can see that there's plenty here I can learn.

Welcome to VFRD tom! :cheerleader:

Hi Tom! There's a 700 that could use some love in my area. Haven't talked to the owner yet but I'm sure it could be for sale!

Archived