I was hit by a car this morning

timmythecop

For the second time in a year, I was hit by a car in the saddle bag. I will set the stage for you: It was 0600 hours and I was riding home from work. We had a tropical stom in DC and it was raining hard. It was dark, wet and slippery. I passed a frog in a rain jacket, thats how much it was raining. I usually use the left lane on this fast straight bit of 2-lane each way highway, but I slowed a bit due to the rain, so I was relaxing in the right lane. Normally, I leave the right lane where another highway dumps on to the one I am on, but instead, this time I just slowed down to about 50 to let a red pickup merge in front of me. Then I notice that for some reason counter-steering isnt working and then I go about 20 feet sideways with the bike angled about 45 degrees from the dotted line. It snaps back into line with a violent headshake and I had an actual 5 foot question mark over my head. As I am wondering WTF, I notice a little blue hatchback releasing me and swerving back to his right. I collected myself and slowed enough to get even with this donkey. He rolls down his window and smiles and waves. I get behind him and mentally record his tag number. He notices this, and takes off at an unsafe, and high rate of speed. Having his tag in my memory, I let him go, and he was sverving and changing lanes as if I was giving chase.

So I guess the moral of the story is to be carefull out there. be seen. And put those super-protective Givi bags on yer bike. because they have saved my bacon twice now.

Like i say at the end of roll-call: "Fallout, have fun, and be carefull"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Jeez. Glad you're OK, Timmy. Sounds like it could have come out a lot worse.

Bet the 'perp' will be thrilled when he finds out the rider he hit is a cop. :ohmy: :laugh:

ohpleaseohpleaseohplease post a follow up. :fing02: :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Damn Timmy, don't know for sure, but it sounds like you have a guardian angel looking out for you. In your line of work that is a good thing! Thanks for reminding us to be seen. I've just started wearing one of those super-butt-ugly reflective vests over my riding gear since it's pretty dark when I leave for work. I'll be keeping my Givi's on for the time being after reading this...oh yeah, I added some of that fancy-pants reflective tape to the back of the bags.

• Member Contributer

Sorry about the hit, glad you pulled through.

And yes, please post a follow-up, we would like to see another donkey being taught a good lesson. Now go have a scotch (double?) and change your underwear, you deserve it.

C

• Member Contributer

Good God man!

Can't wait for you to wake up and post a follow up... that is, if you could even sleep after that!

• Member Contributer

You ARE gonna pursue this one, aren't you? I know you didn't bother on the last one... Guess you need to put the Glock stickers back on the Givi's, instead of those silly Redskins ones. (Glad yer all still on one piece, BTW :fing02: )

• Member Contributer

Holy Crap is right!

Glad you're OK and here to tell us about it.

Ride faster safer next time :lobby:

P.S.

The perp needs a lesson for sure.

I want to read how he spent the first night in the lock-up for hit and run.

Attempted manslaughter maybe? Just think - If there was someone less experienced in your place, there might have been a fatality. Would he have stopped then?

• Member Contributer

Crikey Timmy ... !! :mellow:

Glad to hear that you, your Givi, and the 'frog in a rain jacket' are all okay. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

" rolls down his window and smiles and waves" what a f'ing jerk-off! This proves there're is a time and a place for a rocket launcher. Glad you came out of it ok.

I've just started wearing one of those super-butt-ugly reflective vests over my riding gear since it's pretty dark when I leave for work.

I started wearing hi-viz yellow (either full jacket or vest over my leather jacket) when I started commuting in Cleveland morning & afternoon rush hour traffic in April. And I ditched the backpack I used to wear to work daily so the jacket or vest can be seen more easily.

• Member Contributer

DAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG TTIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the frog in the jacket....hate that you got punched in the sack by a maxi pad driving a minicar.

Really glad the rain allowed him to plow you like the back 40 without the aid of traction to toss you and Yellow Peril azz over tea cup.

I could not resist rollin up at his home or place of work and asking him a few questions about the proper response to a hit and run, for example should the driver slow down or stop?

If he says slow you can start thumping him like this :beatdeadhorse: with mag light or night stick and ask him if he would like you to slow down or actually stop.....then suggest the next time he hits someone that he should probably stop as well.

Then crack his headlight and tell he needs to get that fixed and give him a ticket for it.

• Member Contributer
I've just started wearing one of those super-butt-ugly reflective vests over my riding gear since it's pretty dark when I leave for work.

I started wearing hi-viz yellow (either full jacket or vest over my leather jacket) when I started commuting in Cleveland morning & afternoon rush hour traffic in April. And I ditched the backpack I used to wear to work daily so the jacket or vest can be seen more easily.

New Enopugh actually some high viz jackets that dont look like you are on your way to help elementary school kids cross the street....never considered one before.

Archived