VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

221 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Well its been 5 months Seb,,,,,, are ya done with it yet?? :biggrin:

Nope. It hasn't taken priority over other projects yet.

It's basically done - if you were to start with a non-rashed cover, you could follow this thread to this point and simply seal it up and install. The sealant I'm going to use isn't very easy to get, so one would just use some black Permatex. Let that cure, then change oil and switch covers before refilling the oil. If you want completed pics on my bike, you might have to wait till spring... :sad:

I can wait, riding weather is almost here, looks like only one more week of 100 degree days :cool:

• Member Contributer

I've got another one in the works. This one should be done relatively quickly... just saying.

:laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

is the 1st one done??

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

:laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

is the 1st one done??

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Nope. Next oil change on the VTEC isn't till spring, so I'm in no rush to make it a priority over other projects.

The new one, on the other hand...

Maybe your next project should be to expose the valve gear train on the right side of the engine of 5th gen bikes! That would be Kewhl as ell!

It will be the answer to how classic Ducati owners had been exposing their bevel drives with windows on their bikes

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Looking very nice indeed Seb. Show what having loads of time and tools at hand can do :fing02: :biggrin:

Looking very nice indeed Seb. Show what having loads of time and tools at hand can do :fing02: :biggrin:

It's been in progress for two months, I wouldn't say "loads of time", but the tools sure do help. I need more tools so I can become self sufficient for fabrication; "Selbst ist der Mann".

Sweeeeeet... Are you going to smooth the welds or leave them? Nice work as is.

Smooth. Hard to see in the picture, but on the cast material side of the weld, there is some dirt and irregularities that come from welding cast aluminum. It will be sanded smooth and painted. :fing02:

Looks great, can't wait to see it installed :fing02:

Thank you sir! Will have to wait till the bike is done. I promised myself I wouldn't start another project thread until I finished it. And then I got the CB900... :blush: :pinocchio:

Here is the link to the section about VFR specific street fighters. Some we have seen here.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10386

Yeah... I'm a member there as well and contributed to that thread... don't recall seeing the one you posted there though??

Here is the link to the section about VFR specific street fighters. Some we have seen here.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10386

Yeah... I'm a member there as well and contributed to that thread... don't recall seeing the one you posted there though??

That's cause you saw the Vader headlamp and were laughing and crying so hard you missed the clutch cover! Sorry, hope that's nobody on here's bike. I love me some Star Wars, but that's a bit much.

That's cause you saw the Vader headlamp and were laughing and crying so hard you missed the clutch cover! Sorry, hope that's nobody on here's bike. I love me some Star Wars, but that's a bit much.

Damn, you're right! :goofy:

Archived