VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Very interesting project Sebspeed! Great to see this level of creativity and craftsmanship. Kudos!

On a related note, if I could ask, are there any caveats to painting the clutch pressure plate? Is there a possibility of the paint flaking off and clogging an oil passage? Would anodizing be a better option?

Keep up the great work! Look forward to seeing one of these installed on a 500 in the future!

The clutch pressure plate is not pure aluminum. Anodizing would not work.

Powdercoating would be your best bet for durability.

Having said that, the paint on mine is holding up perfectly.

Also, you could polish the pressure plate and have zero worry about any type of finish.

• Member Contributer

5x5, V-8-C.

Polishing sounds like a great option. Not to say the paint will not hold but the consequences if it does not would outweigh the aesthetics of adding color, IMHO.

Thanks again for the post and looking forward to seeing more of these installed.

• Member Contributer

The bummer about the old VF's is, the giant clutch plate is boring to see spinning. You really need the multi spring setup for full visual impact. Kind of defeats the purpose, smaller bang for the buck, no?

The bummer about the old VF's is, the giant clutch plate is boring to see spinning. You really need the multi spring setup for full visual impact. Kind of defeats the purpose, smaller bang for the buck, no?

Yes and no. You'll still see it moving, and you can paint or powder or polish the plate for visual effect. VMax plates are flat, esp the Barnett billet plates, and a windowed clutch cover seems to be standard issue on those bikes.

Frick YEAH!!!!!

Man that's awesome!

I fired back a pm earlier... Anything ever develop as far as a track cover?

And a quick question- what did you use to clean off the finish? A wire wheel or somethin?

Glad you like it. I replied to your pm, & I use scotch brite wheels to remove the factory finish. I just take off enough to keep it from burning and stinking up my shop, and obviously to keep it out of the welds too.

All done, but I ain't typin it twice...

Copy/paste?

But yeah, it looks great. Good job.

I kept my stock cad-plated hardware for the pressure plate, the gold sorta goes with the gold front calipers, and recently painted gold rear caliper.

And for the engine cover screws, I only replaced the ones you can see with stainless, the rest are the OEM black bolts.

and wait a sec........... this is thought up and born on VFRD, made by a VFRD fellow, refined on VFRD, explained in a how to thread on VFRD...........and the other place gets the extended thread?

My my.

and wait a sec........... this is thought up and born on VFRD, made by a VFRD fellow, refined on VFRD, explained in a how to thread on VFRD...........and the other place gets the extended thread?

My my.

Yeah... BUT- I did give credit where credit was due. I ain't tryin to steal anyones kudos....

Now all anyone has to do is print it, slap it between two yellow covers, and give it a "for dummies" title!

All done, but I ain't typin it twice...

Copy/paste?

But yeah, it looks great. Good job.

I kept my stock cad-plated hardware for the pressure plate, the gold sorta goes with the gold front calipers, and recently painted gold rear caliper.

And for the engine cover screws, I only replaced the ones you can see with stainless, the rest are the OEM black bolts.

I just replaced them all. The only place within 100 miles that sells stainless is an "industrial supply", and they sell everything in quantity- bags of 50 each. so I have 45 extra clutch bolts, and 36 extra cover bolts.

If anyone's doin this mod & needs hardware.....

Now all anyone has to do is print it, slap it between two yellow covers, and give it a "for dummies" title!

I'm already busy, dont go giving me good ideas. :ph34r:

My my.

How dare he try to get SEB more business by doing a for dummies thread over on VFRW... The nerve of some people

Archived