VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

221 answers to this question

Are you 2A7x3? or maybe 2A7x1?

Your whole process screams ASM or MetalsTech haha

-Drew

**I am 2A7x5

I'm not even sure what that means? Is that a level of certification? I learned to tig at work via an apprenticeship program which totaled 200hrs. 40 of that was aluminum, I took a fast liking to it. I made samples for .032 SS (fillet and groove) and .040 6061 T6 AL groove - those were sent to an independent lab for testing and they passed, so I was allowed to weld on parts consisting of those materials until about a year ago, I let my certs lapse and now I'd need to re-test. I drive a desk now, so I bought the machine I have at home to get my kicks.

Could you have sunk it in some, then welded or would it have hit the clutch?

I did have to cut the cover back a bit, I cut it back until the size of the cutout matched the OD of the ring. The cover as you see it is only about 1/8" taller than it was before. Once the lexan and top ring are installed, that will add another 1/4".

Are you 2A7x3? or maybe 2A7x1? **I am 2A7x5

I'm not even sure what that means?

Mil-Speak,... different types of airframe maintenance. First two are metal (aluminum), third one is composites.

Are you 2A7x3? or maybe 2A7x1? **I am 2A7x5

I'm not even sure what that means?

Mil-Speak,... different types of airframe maintenance. First two are metal (aluminum), third one is composites.

Too many technical terms for this self-taught jackass-of-all-trades. :blush:

Fab work on this cover is DONE. I did a bit of smoothing/blending here & there, just to tidy it up. I completely blended the weld at the oil fill, and ran a dress up bead over that fillet. I sealed the inside of the joint(inside the cover) with mil-spec fuel tank sealant. High temp and resistant to all types of fuel/petroleum products. Pic of that tomorrow when it's done curing.

A little more sanding and some paint will make this a tasty little VFR mod... but, the new owner will have to tell you about that. :wink:

6-17-11001.jpg

6-17-11002.jpg

6-17-11004.jpg

6-17-11005.jpg

6-17-11006.jpg

• Member Contributer

The next batch of rings should be in progress soon!!

Is that a soon by corporate timescale or by your timescale?

Think we'll be able to sneak it in in the next week or two.

Ahem... I am very happy to announce that the next batch of rings is very close to production and all interested parties should PM me or post here to get on the list.

- Timmy, your cover will be started this weekend as I have 1 core exchange cover to start with.

- Switchblade, let me know if you have a spare cover to send, if not I will let you know when the rings are here and you can send yours then.

Quantities are limited folks! I can do 10 covers in addition to the 2 listed above. The rings will work on all generations up to the 7th gen - I have yet to measure up a 7th gen to see if it will work on them.

• Member Contributer

If anyone has been harping or getting impatient at Seb, allow me to take the blame. We have had unexpected circumstances at the shop which has slowed us down. We're trying to squeeze them in ASAP.

We have had unexpected circumstances at the shop which has slowed us down. We're trying to squeeze them in ASAP.

Put a lock on the beer fridge and get to work, your production will speed up.

• Member Contributer

We have had unexpected circumstances at the shop which has slowed us down. We're trying to squeeze them in ASAP.

Put a lock on the beer fridge and get to work, your production will speed up.

+1 I cant wait for mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very tempted for one on my 4th gen.......

at least i will be able to see my slipper clutch....!!

:happy:

I'd be very interested in seeing it too!

Why don't you send me a PM so we can talk about this a little more, eh?

So somewhat random question/thought....

Often on a low speed drop damage happens to that area of the clutch cover. With a plastic window is there a fairly good chance that damage results in a leak and an un-rideable bike?

So somewhat random question/thought....

Often on a low speed drop damage happens to that area of the clutch cover. With a plastic window is there a fairly good chance that damage results in a leak and an un-rideable bike?

Define low speed drop... driveway/parking lot tipover, you'll be fine. The rings themselves are stronger than the cover material. A drop while moving forward, hey, anything goes really because every situation is different. I can think of a few circumstances where one might be more susceptible to a leak - but I can also think of a few scenarios where the rings would actually help prevent expensive damage.

I have not yet breached the subject of spares with the machine shop, but I can guarantee you that a replacement outer ring and lexan window will be much cheaper than a new clutch cover.

As an aside, I have thought of offering an aluminum plate/delrin puck combo that could serve as a "case saver" type product in lieu of the window. Haven't gone past the idea stage with that yet, I was thinking it might be useful for track days.

• Member Contributer

A bikes for riding not dropping.. lol

Have decided to put more effort into suspension and the like rather than start weakening the cover that will protect my pricey slipper clutch.

If i win the lotto, good looking mods might be the next important thing to sort..

Have decided to put more effort into suspension and the like rather than start weakening the cover that will protect my pricey slipper clutch.

I just explained above how this mod can make your cover STRONGER, not weaker... :comp13: If you don't want to buy one, that's fine, just please don't go tossing about incorrect information!

• Member Contributer

sorry mate, i can agree the mod addition should help with the strength issue, was being flippant after the missus found out my plans.

The window mod went out of my price remit last week when she mentioned another kid.....

haven't told her there is a TSS slipper clutch on its way in the post yet.. oops.

Wanted to show support for this mod and hopefully get back to you in the future when things get going again..

Archived