VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How thick is your Lexan, and where did you get it from? I have an idea in mind, and I'm looking to source some lexan, but don't need a complete sheet.

1/8" thick, from ebay. If plexiglass will do, I can send you some from my stash. It's also 1/8" thick. What's your application, if I may ask?

Well...what I'd like to do is stock, heavy headlight unit with some projector units, located behind a piece of lexan. Ideally I'd like to maintain the stock look, but reduce a few pounds up front. I could fab up a frame/bracket to go around the lexan, and utilize the stock mounting points of the lexan. I just gotta source something durable, and chip resistant. What do you think???

Let me think on it a little tonight, I'll get back to you with a PM. Lexan and Plexiglass can both be thermoformed, but the Lexan is harder/more scratch and chip resistant. There are different grades of each, go to www.mcmastercarr.com and type "lexan" in the search bar, they give a nice breakdown of the individual grade qualities.

I'll do that, thanks!!!!!

• Member Contributer

very interesting project to take up...will look for a second hand cover on ebay and work on that...eventually....

Seb, mu clutch cover has been in use for more than three years under pretty tough conditions with no problems with the Lexan window. There are hundreds of these in constant use on TL1000s' for the last 10 years and I've never heard of one fail. Also, lots of guys on the TL board used to powder coat their pressure plates before Vandriver began making custom billet ones, and again I've never heard of a problem that arose from that; so anecdotally I would say that you've got no problem.

At rest, the oil level sits well below the level of both the pressure plate and the window, and in motion, the spinning of the pressure plate keeps it clean. I can't think of any time where I've seen oil on my pressure plate except when adding oil to the cases after an oil change. Powder coat it and forget it.

Finally, when you start up, sometimes you'll see some condensation on the window that will dry up after the bike warms to temperature. This is completely normal. None of these components have much stress on them so any gloom and doom predictions are unjustified in my opinion. Good on you for doing something different.

Well, this is good to hear. Powdercoat will be much cheaper than the other options. Thanks for the feedback, again!

remove the clutch assembly..

polish the pressure plate. and maybe etch vfrd vfr750 or something on it... buy some long bolts.. thread into basket. cut off the bolt heads..buy some anodized nuts!!

assemble the clutch on a bench.. trim bolts to desired length and presto!!! you have color and cool custom logo when stopped too :goofy:

I'm going to give this some thought!

Is the pressure plate Aluminum? Steel doesn't anodize that I know of.

I believe it's cast aluminum, which could be worse. Billet AL or steel can be anodized, but you get a wider color selection when working w/ AL.

Is the pressure plate Aluminum? Steel doesn't anodize that I know of.

I believe it's cast aluminum, which could be worse. Billet AL or steel can be anodized, but you get a wider color selection when working w/ AL.

When I went to get my stock fuel cap anodized, the guy at the shop said that the japanese cast "aluminum" is mostly aluminum, but part pot metal, so when you try to anodize it, it turns out like crap, all cloudy and muddy looking.

He's tried on parts before and it looked like vomit.

He said that only pure aluminum will anodize correctly and look good.

So that's why I went with powdercoat.

Seb, mu clutch cover has been in use for more than three years under pretty tough conditions with no problems with the Lexan window. There are hundreds of these in constant use on TL1000s' for the last 10 years and I've never heard of one fail. Also, lots of guys on the TL board used to powder coat their pressure plates before Vandriver began making custom billet ones, and again I've never heard of a problem that arose from that; so anecdotally I would say that you've got no problem.

At rest, the oil level sits well below the level of both the pressure plate and the window, and in motion, the spinning of the pressure plate keeps it clean. I can't think of any time where I've seen oil on my pressure plate except when adding oil to the cases after an oil change. Powder coat it and forget it.

Finally, when you start up, sometimes you'll see some condensation on the window that will dry up after the bike warms to temperature. This is completely normal. None of these components have much stress on them so any gloom and doom predictions are unjustified in my opinion. Good on you for doing something different.

Would you happen to have any pics of powdercoated plates?

• Member Contributer

remove the clutch assembly..

polish the pressure plate. and maybe etch vfrd vfr750 or something on it... buy some long bolts.. thread into basket. cut off the bolt heads..buy some anodized nuts!!

assemble the clutch on a bench.. trim bolts to desired length and presto!!! you have color and cool custom logo when stopped too :goofy:

I'm going to give this some thought!

Instead of cutting down bolts use set screws, much easier than dressing all those threads after the cut. locktite em in and be done :rolleyes:

This is from Gigas on TLZone.net

"It was used for several months.

It came out in the same condition as it got in. No flakes, no wear on the paint or anything alerting me.

I'd tell your friend to powdercoat it and not to worry about it.

Just tell him to make sure the back side is masked so that it won't take any paint on it."

gallery_6430_5229_34530.jpg

powdercoated pressure plate 1.jpg

gallery_6430_5229_60569.jpg

powdercoated pressure plate 2.jpg

I'm sure that the VFR clutch must use pressure plate retainers just like the TL. If so, they would be cheap and easy to make from aluminum. Then you can anodize them any contrasting color you want to make it pop.

fing02.gif WOW!!

I'm hooked... is there a vendor of such items out there specifically 4th gen covers?

Yeah, SEBSPEED... no-one makes anything much for 4th Gen engines although Durbahn in Germany has a range of body parts etc. to suit them.

Looking good Seb!

I got the Lexan over the weekend and roughed it in by transferring the holes from my plexiglass template, and also used my Dremel to get it somewhat circular. Need to finish up the outer metal ring so I can use that as a template to match the Lexan to.

PICT1198.jpg

PICT1199.jpg

Might have to shave the screws down a bit, just in case.

PICT1201.jpg

I cheated and got the aluminum ring cut at work. Updates at 11...

Hehe, CNC's are nice to have huh?

Only when you put in the right numbers. The ring is not the right size, not sure what to do now. I wasn't looking forward to abusing my Dremel on .125" aluminum. :fing02:

How is it not the right size? Too wide? How to you plan to make the lexan a true circle?

It didn't come out wide enough, it's doesn't cover all the screws or leave enough material for all of them to grip well. Needs to be about an 1/8" wider. I'm simply going to lay the ring on top of the lexan, and trim the lexan to it. Then transfer the holes while it's still clamped together.

So close but probably not gonna happen this weekend.

Where there's a will...

Seb... are so many screw really necessary... I mean the more screws u use, the more chances of screwing one up!! :laughing6-hehe: I'm so funny. :woohoo:

Archived