VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

221 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Where there's a will...

Seb... are so many screw really necessary... I mean the more screws u use, the more chances of screwing one up!! :laughing6-hehe: I'm so funny. :woohoo:

and then you will be screwed! :goofy:

Where there's a will...

Seb... are so many screw really necessary... I mean the more screws u use, the more chances of screwing one up!! :laughing6-hehe: I'm so funny. :goofy:

I'm a post ho... more threads = more better! :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

I'm a post ho... more threads = more better! :laughing6-hehe:

Good one! Seb wins the pun contest!:woohoo:

Seb, another guy on the TL site posted up that he painted his and has been running it with no problems for years. He used a type o Krylon if I'm not mistaken. I'll look into it and post up a link to the type of paint used.

TLPressureplate.jpg

"For all of you who have the clear clutch covers, & want a colored Pressure Plate. Here is a cheep way to go. Go get a can of ( Krylon - X Metals ) spray paint. It's a anodized paint, & oil does not effect it. It cost about $5 (us) & comes in a host of colors. I did mine up 2 months ago. I know alot of you are like me & don't have or want to spend the big $$ for the vans Pressure Plate. So now you can have your cake & eat it to. Hope this helps.

All i did to prep mine, was to spray it down with brake parts cleaner, tape off the the part you don't want paint on & let it dry. They can't cause any more pain, I'm maried. Glad i could give something back, i know i have got some great info from the fourm."

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?store=003&group_id=9076

This guy has had his in constant use since October 2007 without any problems.

That's fricken great, THANK YOU!

I hereby SWEAR to make some progress on this cover for you guys this weekend. It's going to be tough with my son's birthday party going on, but the new ring is done and there is no reason not to finish the cover! I'll swing by the WalMart & the auto parts stores and see if the have the Xmetal paint in stock.

That's fricken great, THANK YOU!

I hereby SWEAR to make some progress on this cover for you guys this weekend. It's going to be tough with my son's birthday party going on, but the new ring is done and there is no reason not to finish the cover! I'll swing by the WalMart & the auto parts stores and see if the have the Xmetal paint in stock.

This stuff should work too!

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

• Member Contributer

Sure wish you would get this done (and send me the cad file) so I can do mine :warranty: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sure wish you would get this done (and send me the cad file) so I can do mine :warranty: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It'll actually come out nicer than mine if you start from scratch with an unmolested cover. Just follow my guidelines here and you'll be fine! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Where there's a will...

Seb... are so many screw really necessary... I mean the more screws u use, the more chances of screwing one up!! :laughing6-hehe: I'm so funny. :woohoo:

Ya gotta be on the bottom to screw up... and Seb is NOT on the bottom

Ok, still not done, but today I got the ring done.

Clamp it on and mark the holes with a Sharpie:

3-28-2010004.jpg

You'll miss a few due to the clamps, it's ok...

3-28-2010006.jpg

Center punch the hole locations:

3-28-2010007.jpg

Drill & deburr holes(I went undersize), clamp in place while lining up the holes. You can locate your ring with extra drill bits, I used my handy cleco clamps...

3-28-2010008.jpg

Mark the rest of the holes that were covered by the clamp before, and drill them out too. After that, I drilled mine to the oversize, same as the Lexan, and clamped the ring to the Lexan again by lining up the holes:

3-28-2010009.jpg

That allows you to mark the Lexan with a Sharpie so you can trim it perfectly to the ring OD...

3-28-2010010.jpg

3-28-2010012.jpg

3-28-2010013.jpg

And the screws are now the right length too!

3-28-2010011.jpg

So what's left? I have to remove the old gasket, blend that old rash out a bit more, glass bead blast the cover, and paint it. Then install the window and ring with sealant, let it cure for a few days, and install it on the bike!

... or sell it... wink.gif

Hoping for no leaks!

There's no way in h-e-doublehockeysticks this thing is gonna leak, unless it bleeds out the Lexan. (not happening!)

Please refer to previous post about type of sealant used. Oh, and the little part about how I've hand built hundreds of Blackhawk helicopter cargo windows at work in a previous position held there; those are also plexiglass sealed and sandwiched between two aluminum frames, and fastened using 88 solid aluminum rivets per... I'd show you pics but I don't think Sikorsky would like that... I'd have to kill ya wink.gif :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Ok, still not done, .... let it cure for a few days, and install it on the bike!

:laughing6-hehe: really nice job seb, i'm seriously looking forward to seeing the end product :goofy:

3-28-2010010.jpg

Oh, and the little part about how I've hand built hundreds of Blackhawk helicopter cargo windows at work in a previous position held there; those are also plexiglass sealed and sandwiched between two aluminum frames, and fastened using 88 solid aluminum rivets per

That explains why you have Clecos and Pliers laying around. Just don't find those in every garage. Bet you have a bucking bar or two??

Oh, and the little part about how I've hand built hundreds of Blackhawk helicopter cargo windows at work in a previous position held there; those are also plexiglass sealed and sandwiched between two aluminum frames, and fastened using 88 solid aluminum rivets per

That explains why you have Clecos and Pliers laying around. Just don't find those in every garage. Bet you have a bucking bar or two??

No, but I do have a hand powered hydraulic Cherry riveter for blind rivets. :laughing6-hehe:

edit; this one:

12093.jpg

Seb, for mark II maybe you could make the ring out of stock 1/8 thicker than the lexan that you're using. That way you could make the ring 3 dimensional instead of flat and cover up the end-grain (for lack of a better term)of the lexan for a cleaner look. Shouldn't be too much more time on the mill for that.

Seb, for mark II maybe you could make the ring out of stock 1/8 thicker than the lexan that you're using. That way you could make the ring 3 dimensional instead of flat and cover up the end-grain (for lack of a better term)of the lexan for a cleaner look. Shouldn't be too much more time on the mill for that.

Would be nice, but I don't have lathe or mill access right now. that ring was cut on a waterjet at work, and only because I pulled a favor - else I would have had to do it by hand.

I am thinking of blasting the cover, polishing the outer surface of the ring, and then putting it all together w/ sealant; then, tape off the window & top of ring and painting the rest, including the sides of the ring and Lexan. That would blend it in better, although a touch more work come replacement time.

This would definitely be easier w/ some real machines here... no money for that quite yet though.

How much does Larry like you? If you have the design in CAD, there are quite a few small machine shops that will make simple one off parts for significantly less than prototype money (thanks bad economy). BLS, are you listening?

Are you done yet?

How about now?

How about now?

:rolleyes: :fing02:

I have everything I need to finish it, but once again, my plans to finish something have been foiled by another project. I've taken a deposit on one of my 4th gens and need to get it painted asap for the new owner.

I have the black paint for the case cover, the red Metalcast paint for the clutch pressure plate, and the sealant has been ready to go for a while now. :lobby: It's ready, but I have to be a good boy and do what I need to do... :schla15:

• Member Contributer

Are you done yet?

How about now?

How about now?

:rolleyes: :laughing6-hehe:

I have everything I need to finish it, but once again, my plans to finish something have been foiled by another project. I've taken a deposit on one of my 4th gens and need to get it painted asap for the new owner.

I have the black paint for the case cover, the red Metalcast paint for the clutch pressure plate, and the sealant has been ready to go for a while now. :lobby: It's ready, but I have to be a good boy and do what I need to do... :schla15:

Well its been 5 months Seb,,,,,, are ya done with it yet?? :biggrin:

Well its been 5 months Seb,,,,,, are ya done with it yet?? :biggrin:

Nope. It hasn't taken priority over other projects yet.

It's basically done - if you were to start with a non-rashed cover, you could follow this thread to this point and simply seal it up and install. The sealant I'm going to use isn't very easy to get, so one would just use some black Permatex. Let that cure, then change oil and switch covers before refilling the oil. If you want completed pics on my bike, you might have to wait till spring... :sad:

Archived