VFR clutch cover question(all gens) - how to add a window

SEBSPEED

Question

So, I've been thinking about a mod, but need to figure something out before I know if it will work. I haven't looked in the manual yet, figured someone here might save me 5min of looking.

Does any part of the clutch put pressure against the center of the clutch cover, where it covers the clutch?

I have a couple spare clutch covers for different years of VFRs, and the mod I'm thinking of is:

2l9ntas.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Obviously, if some part of the clutch needs to push on the cover, this won't work. I don't think anything does, but, you never know. I'm pretty sure the pushrod that's activated by the clutch slave from the other side of the motor just pushes on the inside of the pressure plate, but looking at the inside of one of the covers it almost looks like part of it is there to keep the pressure plate from over extending.

What say you?

• Answers 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

I would be seriously worried if there is family expansion and I knew nothing about it....... :-)

Congrats anyway!!!

By the way, I am considering completing this cover, which would fit an early gen VF750F (or Magna or Sabre). I will not be completing this cover unless I have a serious buyer. I just cut this one because it needed repair anyway.

1313aed4.jpg

The design of the VF motor would allow for the stator cover to have a window as well! (same size!)

fe0ca353.jpg

um......isnt the next one mine?????

Now that you mention it... the cover would nestle nicely inside a 120/70-17... want me to send one with your tire next week?

YES!

um......isnt the next one mine?????

Now that you mention it... the cover would nestle nicely inside a 120/70-17... want me to send one with your tire next week?

YES!

You got it Sarge.

This question was asked, and I thought it was worth posing here in case anyone else was curious:

Q:

When you ship it back to me, is the outer ring & glass already sealed?

A:

I designed the cover in 3 main parts - the base ring, the top ring, and the lexan window. The base ring is welded to the modified cover, and the top ring sandwiches the window over a silicone o-ring to seal the oil in via pressure from the screws.

Once you install the modified cover, you can remove the screws, top ring, window, and o-ring at any time, without losing any oil.

To that I can add: be vewwy vewwy careful tightening up the screws holding the ring to the base.

screws = stainless steel

base = aluminum

threads = itty bitty

You know the rest.

No, I never had any problems with mine, because I went into it with the proper mindset and left the 36" pipewrench hanging on the wall, where it belongs for a job like this. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Adj. 1.

ham-fisted - lacking physical movement skills, especially with the hands; "a bumbling mechanic"; "a bungling performance"; "ham-handed governmental interference"; "could scarcely empty a scuttle of ashes, so handless was the poor creature"- Mary H. Vorse

:tongue:

Screws need to be tightened in a criss-cross pattern, gently, to seat the top ring evenly and apply even pressure to the silicone o ring. A 2mm Allen key is required to do this.

Archived