POLL on my paintjob, please vote

Veefer800Canuck

What colour should I go?   

110 members have voted

1. 1. pick a colour, any colour

• white/black/red?
    • black/grey/red?

So besides the chinese EBAY bodywork, I am currently quizzing http://www.empiregp.com about the cost of painting some used OEM bodywork. Awaiting their reply.

I've got a good upper fairing, and a RH lower, as well as a good seat cowl, so I'd need a used OEM LH lower, plus tailsection, probably sourced from here or EBAY??? Fuel tank only has a slight depression on the right side from my knee.

Obviously the bike would not say VTR as shown below. Probably have it say RVF instead. Maybe 800r on the tailsection and RC46 on the upper fairing.

My sargent seat is undamaged, and has red piping, so would go with either paintjob methinks.

Vote plz.

2003-Honda-VTR1000SP-RC51a.jpg

2005-Honda-RC51.jpg

Are you going to paint/powdercoat your frame if you go black? Might wanna have it p'chopped to silver and add that to the poll if not? could change the look a lot. I think black is my favorite 5th gen color.

• Member Contributer

Since I've always thought that race replica colors look out of place on bikes that come with optional hard bags, I vote black! Can't wait to see it done.

Methinks black has mucho mas badassedness, but its fortitude is somewhat diminished when lesser colors try to come out and play, except for red, which also has aforementioned BA...

Why stop at the plastics - how 'bout the frame all in black and the fork sliders too? Or you could polish the 'luminuminum parts. But not chrome. Might as well get tassels and floorboards then too... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I like the black and white paint scheme, Rob.

A little bit of red for accent purposes on the bodywork and seat (so it does not look like the "police bike", a black lower section (you can then add carbon fiber fender or other parts in a more subdued fashion.)

If it were my bike, I would choose white wheels. I like them better than black for not looking so dirty. Quite frankly, neither color is great in that dept.

BTW, did you spot the '98 5th gen Frankenviffer for sale in the classifieds? I like the custom look chosen by its owner. Different.

How much of the tail end of your bike survived OK? Exhaust and tail still intact, I would keep current set-up, but if it got destroyed, I really think the RC51 tail looks killer on the 5th gen VFR.

Any other color schemes you are considering, or have you pretty much got things narrowed down to this? Cool, either way you go.

I also like dark silver pearl. I kind of wish it was the direction I went with my bike, rather than the blue I chose. It is what it is and I still like my blue, though. To get an idea of the silver I am talking about, search for an '03 or '04 Mazda Miata with Titanium Silver. That's a very unique color of silver.

What parts are you still needing?

Oh, just wanted to add: I think the idea of ghosting the Honda Wing decal (not unlike Tony's bike with the "VFR" logo) would look really neat no matter what color you choose.

Obviously the bike would not say VTR as shown below. Probably have it say RVF instead. Maybe 800r on the tailsection and RC46 on the upper fairing.

Make it say VFR vs VTR (simple one letter change that would help keep the design. :fing02:

Maybe white or silver wheel! :fing02:

BTW I voted white!

Black is very sweet, but more common! :idea3:

Got the word back from empiregp.com

Paint will run from $1000 for a single colour with graphics to $1150 for two colours with graphics and $1350 for three colours with graphics.

Ouch.

I'll do it for $999.00 wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Got the word back from empiregp.com

Paint will run from $1000 for a single colour with graphics to $1150 for two colours with graphics and $1350 for three colours with graphics.

Ouch.

I'll do it for $999.00 wink.gif

I thought the factory black was too plain. BR's take on it: RC51paintjob022.jpg

And it didn't cost me $999.00!

I vote for White

I'll paint any bike rattle can flat black, truck bed liner spray, Earl Schieb approved, Timmythecop approval pending if he sees this, just $99.95! :fing02:

Actually, I think Red/Black or Black/Red is the best combo. :goofy:

Followed by Red and white, or maybe RWB. :ph34r:

SURVEY SAYS!

richard_dawson1.jpg

(don't worry, I'm not about to start kissing everybody...) wink.gif

Looks like the white is winning out at a 2:1 ratio thus far.

Good thing is that my riding gear and Sargent seat will still match as there is some red/black in the mix.

On the up side, my replacement RC51 forks should be arriving soon. Since they are the newer coloured light gold ones, maybe I should get some bogus Ohlins stickerz from Fleabay for poser value.

ohlin1.jpg

How much of the tail end of your bike survived OK? Exhaust and tail still intact, I would keep current set-up, but if it got destroyed, I really think the RC51 tail looks killer on the 4th gen VFR.

Sorry, had to fix the Gen selection for you. Also Silver is the faster color...

post-4848-125874184967_thumb.jpg

How much of the tail end of your bike survived OK? Exhaust and tail still intact, I would keep current set-up, but if it got destroyed, I really think the RC51 tail looks killer on the 5th gen VFR.

Any other color schemes you are considering, or have you pretty much got things narrowed down to this? Cool, either way you go.

Oh, just wanted to add: I think the idea of ghosting the Honda Wing decal (not unlike Tony's bike with the "VFR" logo) would look really neat no matter what color you choose.

The rear subframe and exhaust survived quite nicely. My custom license plate mount took a hit, the clamps around the cans are OK, but the backing plate for the license and the license itself are both bent.

Dunno if it can be reasonably straightened or if I'm going to have to fab a new one?

As for other colours, not sure yet, but the RC51 schemes are really pretty, they are in the Honda family, and go along with all the RC51 parts on my bike.

I got a set of '06 RC51 forks off EBAY to replace mine, need to find out if the front wheel can be straightened or not.

Parts I need:

Stainless bar end

LH lower fairing

dash surround

LH Y2K mirror

maybe the upper fairing stay (might be bent, might be able to straighten)

tail fairing

taillight housing

headlight housing

swingarm may be bent, need to check sprocket alignment with a straightedge

shift lever

LH footpeg brackets, front and rear both

LH brake rotor

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, the bike isn't dismantled yet, so I dunno what I'll discover under the bodywork.

Brackets, etc can probably be straightened, and there's probably misc fasteners I need.

There's a guy on EBAY parting out a Y2K at the moment, and he has probably everything I need, but I'm broke! :comp13:

• Member Contributer

So besides the chinese EBAY bodywork, I am currently quizzing http://www.empiregp.com about the cost of painting some used OEM bodywork. Awaiting their reply.

I've got a good upper fairing, and a RH lower, as well as a good seat cowl, so I'd need a used OEM LH lower, plus tailsection, probably sourced from here or EBAY??? Fuel tank only has a slight depression on the right side from my knee.

In the pictures you provided, I think the black bodywork would look better on the unpainted aluminum frame while the white bodywork would look better on the black frame. The contrast, I think, looks better than a monochromatic look.

If you're gonna go custom, here's another idea that would work:

RVF1000.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah go for white................ :warranty:

HPIM0187.jpg

HPIM0189-1.jpg

or borrow a little blue from the neighbours...

HPIM0181.jpg

:biggrin:

• Member Contributer

The rear subframe and exhaust survived quite nicely. My custom license plate mount took a hit, the clamps around the cans are OK, but the backing plate for the license and the license itself are both bent.

Dunno if it can be reasonably straightened or if I'm going to have to fab a new one?

As for other colours, not sure yet, but the RC51 schemes are really pretty, they are in the Honda family, and go along with all the RC51 parts on my bike.

I got a set of '06 RC51 forks off EBAY to replace mine, need to find out if the front wheel can be straightened or not.

Parts I need:

Stainless bar end

LH lower fairing

dash surround

LH Y2K mirror

maybe the upper fairing stay (might be bent, might be able to straighten)

tail fairing

taillight housing

headlight housing

swingarm may be bent, need to check sprocket alignment with a straightedge

shift lever

LH footpeg brackets, front and rear both

LH brake rotor

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, the bike isn't dismantled yet, so I dunno what I'll discover under the bodywork.

Brackets, etc can probably be straightened, and there's probably misc fasteners I need.

There's a guy on EBAY parting out a Y2K at the moment, and he has probably everything I need, but I'm broke! :warranty:

You need clipons? I have stock the RC's. I also have a silver 5th gen tail. Factory Canadian, eh. I think it is in ok shape?

• Member Contributer

I think you know which way I voted. :warranty:

leftsidefront.jpg

Ooh thats sweet! Black! ....How bout a RC51 tail on a 5th gen?

MD

Archived