Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

Hey, it's your ears! (Actually, "they're your ears", but we don't do grammar here!)

The case for wearing earplugs is 100 times more solid than the case for wearing helmets, but because there's no "earplug law", some people just won't figure it out. Helmets only increase your chances of survival IF you crash AND hit your head. In contrast, earplugs don't merely increase your chances of preserving your hearing--it's almost a certainty that they will (because hearing damage isn't just a possibility; it is a near-certain thing). I won't preach (any more than this) to anyone who chooses not to wear earplugs, but I reserve the right to look at them funny... +1.gif

Ciao,

Can you speak up please, I didn't quite get that! :blush:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, me too. Hearing loss is a common problem, most will suffer one form or another.

And I started young with all sorts of rather noisey equipment, including bikes.

But we did learn to use foam earplugs, and they help a great deal but are uncomfortable.

And some are slightly less uncomfortable, and some are almost unwearable.

Now I use Peltor muff style hearing protectors for ANYTHING that is noisey.

And I have custom fit molded earplugs for use with my helmets, they are fantastic.

I have never liked music on a bike, it just seems so contrary to what I am doing.

And I now find that I activley avoid pretty much anything that makes much noise.

Sad, but this is even eating into my desire to ride, the noise is really a problem.

After riding bikes for 40 years or so, I would say that HEARING PROTECTION is PARAMOUNT.

Personally, I think it's the helmets not sealing around our ears adequately.

Is there a liability issue here, if the helmets are TOO QUIET could that be a problem?

I wonder if a HANNS device would further help in reducing riding noise.

What do people that "race for a living" do in the way of protecting the ears?

This is actually a chronic problem, most people that ride will have ear problems.

The only issue being what degree of hearing failure one will ultimately suffer.

History has taught me this ... :blush:

• 1 year later...

Searched around the forums, and thought this is probably the closest place to share something that I haven't read in the forums here. I had a eureka moment when I came across this tip from the hearing protection section on webBikeWorld site (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm):

"Before fitting any ear plugs, make sure your hands are clean! Hold the ear plug between your thumb and forefinger. Roll and compress the entire ear plug to a small, crease-free cylinder.

While still rolling,
use your other hand to reach over your head and pull up and back on your outer ear
. This is important! This straightens the ear canal, making way for a snug fit. Sometimes it helps to hold your mouth and throat open whilst inserting the earplugs.

Insert the ear plug and hold for a few seconds. This allows the ear plug to expand and fill the ear canal. When properly inserted, the ambient sound level should drop way down as the earplugs expand."

Now my cheap drug store orange foam ear plugs fit easily on first try.

Searched around the forums, and thought this is probably the closest place to share something that I haven't read in the forums here. I had a eureka moment when I came across this tip from the hearing protection section on webBikeWorld site (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm):

"Before fitting any ear plugs, make sure your hands are clean! Hold the ear plug between your thumb and forefinger. Roll and compress the entire ear plug to a small, crease-free cylinder.

While still rolling,
use your other hand to reach over your head and pull up and back on your outer ear
. This is important! This straightens the ear canal, making way for a snug fit. Sometimes it helps to hold your mouth and throat open whilst inserting the earplugs.

Insert the ear plug and hold for a few seconds. This allows the ear plug to expand and fill the ear canal. When properly inserted, the ambient sound level should drop way down as the earplugs expand."

I was watching an interview before one of the IOMTT races last year and noticed the rider do that. I use plugs at work every day and tried it. I have done it every day since. It helps them get deeper into the ear so when the foam expands, it has a chance to make a great seal. You must be carefull when putting things into your ear at all times. When you do this, you can push it deep enough to be uncomfortable, but a short tug pulls it right into place. Anyone who uses those foam plugs should try it.

• Member Contributer

While still rolling,

I've been doing that for years, I thought everyone knew it... :cool:

It's funny, when I see people on TV with foam earplugs they are usually barely in the ear. Myth Busters is one that comes to mind right away. You'd think they would know by know how to put in an ear plug. They usually look like they didn't even compress them at all before sticking them in, they stick out so far! :huh:

• Member Contributer

I never have worn ear plugs when riding; however with the high number of people saying they do, I will give it a try. I do like to be aware of all the sounds around me though. You will never catch me with a music player while riding. Proably should have worn earplugs when I was racing dirt bikes years ago. Now there was some loud noise. Say what?

• Member Contributer

I've been doing that for years, I thought everyone knew it... :cool:

It's funny, when I see people on TV with foam earplugs they are usually barely in the ear. Myth Busters is one that comes to mind right away. You'd think they would know by know how to put in an ear plug. They usually look like they didn't even compress them at all before sticking them in, they stick out so far! :huh:

I've noticed that on Mythbuster's and wondered the same. I stuff mine in so far sometimes I need a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull them out.

• Member Contributer

Ear plugs at all times on the bike. Wish I did years ago. Once the hearing is gone or the tinnitus sets in......too late.

I did discover that riding with foam earplugs actually decreased my perceived fatigue on long rides. I have no problem with them on street, at track, in woods, etc. :fing02: :fing02:

Ear plugs, 100% of the time. For me and any passenger. I work with many, many seniors who cannot hear anything. I'm sure they were spry 40 year olds with excellent hearing once...that's enough of a cue for me. I can hear my music through my Scala speakers with earplugs just fine.

Ear plugs, 100% of the time. For me and any passenger. I work with many, many seniors who cannot hear anything. I'm sure they were spry 40 year olds with excellent hearing once...that's enough of a cue for me. I can hear my music through my Scala speakers with earplugs just fine.

I hear ya !

I'm one of those seniors......... I didn't pay any attention up to about 40, had great hearing.... Now at 66 I have ringing in my ears and am always going with the "WHAT"...... Hearing aids did you say? $1000+ and insurance doesn't cover it and batteries are gold and don't last long. The thing is I actually like wearing the plugs........ If everyone wore them all the time we'd all talk louder and I could hear you even when we're talking at a concert..... same with riding I can hear the sounds of the bike but not the wind...........

• Member Contributer

I (and my passenger) wear the foam ear plugs. I can still hear the engine, traffic, hear music, hear the intercom, and hear anything else I run through Bluetooth. It cuts out the roar of the wind and the din of highway traffic (semis).

You might be amazed at how much less fatigued and more refreshed you are after a full day of riding with ear plugs, as opposed to a day of riding without them. They're cheap, and if I happen to drop one or lose one, there's a whole bag of them in my tank case.

I'll never ride witthout them again.

I used to wear them from time to time, defiantly cut down the wind noise and made for a much nicer ride. Now, I have speakers in my helmet and I think music makes for and even better ride. I want to get some kinda volume booster cause at highway speeds and beyond I can barley hear it, if I can get it loud enough to hear through earplugs then I would start wearing them again.

I use earplugs, 3M orange kinds, excellent for comfort.

There's another thread where I also detail what I use for music.Philips (and other brands) make noise-reduction erphones. What really works IMO is when the units have silicon or like material around the earphone unit to aid in fit, and in isolating outside noise.

Just wearing them the noise already cuts down, because of the fit. Add the music, and you're in another level of riding. I really like it, it's more relaxing and none of the negative stuff that other suggested about distractions.

• Member Contributer

I always wear mine riding... you can still hear the important sounds that the wind would drown out and cuts fatigue big time.

I have these

they work great and last for a long time. they are short enough that they don't catch on my helmet (x-11)

• Member Contributer

Hey all, just curious about how many here ride with earplugs, and why you do. Since getting the VFR, I started wearing them, and now won't ride without them. Much more pleasant ride - not near as much noise. Let's hear it....

Dave P.

I wear earplugs.

Why? To save what little is left of my hearing. If I knew then what I know now -I would have stated wearing earplugs a long time ago. Too much loud music, power tools, firearms etc. has left me with hearing loss and ringing in my ears. I don't expect it to get better as I get older.

• 1 month later...

I found the best disposable ear plugs after reading many many reviews and trying every kind they had at Walmart and Academy. I ended up going with the "E-A-R Earsoft Gripper w/o cord". They are hard to find (nearly impossible really) so I buy them by the case!

EARsoft Grippers.jpg

I reuse them. I usually roll them and get them slightly damp with my mouth....no problems getting them in far enough. The little tabs help get them back out so I don't have to resort to needle noses pliars or my keys like some have...

It's easy to tell when it is time to change them for new ones....like the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer...it's the taste.

• Member Contributer

I started too late in life, wearing ear protection on the bike, but I'm religious about it now.. I wear them mostly to drown out all the screaming in my helmet.

used to use the foamies, but last T-mac I had WERA803 mold me up a set of the bigear's.. Best thing I've done in years. They are way more comfortable over time, and I think they filter the wind noise better.

• Member Contributer

I put them in on anything over a short errand. One, I want to keep what's left of my hearing. Two, I find that I'm less stressed and more focused without the wind noise howling in my helmet. :fing02:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

hearing test 3 months ago for new job physical... never knew it but 'pipe ear' has almost 30% hearing loss. So yes wifey... I am listening IF I can ;-) have been running with plugs on and off for about 6 years... damage was done long ago

• Member Contributer

All the ear plugs, all the time. Loud concerts left me with ringing in my ear for the duration of that day. Then: 12th row tickets to Rolling Stones, right in front of the speakers. That was 20 years ago and the ringing has never stopped. And I could not hear well. Then got motorcycle. Rode without ear plugs for about 3 months. On my way to Daytona, at Deals Gap, a stranger gave me some earplugs. Wore them on and off next couple of days. When I got to Florida, I noticed I could not hear as well as when I left home. Since then, I always wear them. At age 62 I am about half deaf. Preserving what I have left.

• Member Contributer

I wear earplugs. Highest rating I can find for disposable. Home depo and pharmacies sell them in bulk.

I don't listen to music when I ride. My buddy does and I can never get his attention; he's always in la la land.

• Member Contributer

I have worn earplugs since I got back into motorcycles in the mid-'80s (the decade :smile: ). I didn't wear them as a teenager while riding dirt bikes--which was probably a mistake since most bikes then were two-stroke and loud. A doctor was the deciding factor for me. As a kid I had an ear infection that took out some of the hearing (top end) in my right ear. I remember doing a hearing test in a hospital: big headphones and I was supposed to press a button every time I heard a tone. While testing the left ear, the tones just kept getting higher and higher until they stopped the test. While testing the right ear, I wondered why they stopped so soon. The tech was staring at me through the window (I was in a sound-proof room), and I could tell he was waiting for me, but I wasn't going to push the button if I didn't hear anything. My doctor later explained that you start out in life with a finite amount of hearing and use it up as you go. If you listen to loud music, run a jack hammer for a living, play in a metal band, etc. you go through your allotment faster. And I, too, have read studies about the effects of wind noise, so I'm trying to preserve what hearing I have left. And, as others have noted, with the wind noise gone, riding is more relaxing and important sounds (the engine, car horns, etc.) are actually easier to hear.

I also wear the disposable foam EAR plugs which I buy in a box of 200 pairs.

snip... My doctor later explained that you start out in life with a finite amount of hearing and use it up as you go. If you listen to loud music, run a jack hammer for a living, play in a metal band, etc. you go through your allotment faster. ...snip

Not the way I understand it. Sounds like he was trying to scare you. There is a threshold in hearing below which damage does not happen. It is a sliding scale that depends on amplitude and duration. The louder the noise the less time it takes to damage your hearing. That's why most studies use time weighted averages. For example 85 dB for 8 hours or less may cause no damage. 130 dBs may cause immediate permanent damage.

Then again just as in ATGATT you only need it when you crash. As my cruiser friends tell me in shorts t shirts and flip flops, I don't plan to crash. Then again my dB meter doesn't fit on my helmet with my head in it. I really don't know what sound level I'm pulling. On my 10 minute commutes I don't use my earplugs. I use the corded baffle type plugs at work nearly all the time. I will remove hem momentarily for conversation or troubleshooting for a minute or two. Here is OSHA's table

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)

|

Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response

____________________________|_________________________________

|

8...........................| 90

6...........................| 92

4...........................| 95

3...........................| 97

2...........................| 100

1 1/2 ......................| 102

1...........................| 105

1/2 ........................| 110