Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

If anybody is looking for some ear plugs to try, my favorite right now are Moldex Comets 25. They are ribbed silicone, not foam, easy to put in, and IMHO block just the right amount of noise for mixed city/highway riding. I'd still take my 35s for long rides at entertaining speeds though.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

By coincidence, the 'Mighty Plugs' I mentioned in an earlier post are on sale through Froday, if anyone is interested. These truly are the most comfortable plugs. I ended up picking up a dozen a few weeks back and have been wearing them again for any ride I take.

http://earplugsonline.com/summer-sale/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=earpluginfo&utm_content=Mighty+Plugs+Ear+Plugs+Summer+SALE+%2521%2521%2521

• Member Contributer

By coincidence, the 'Mighty Plugs' I mentioned in an earlier post are on sale through Froday, if anyone is interested. These truly are the most comfortable plugs. I ended up picking up a dozen a few weeks back and have been wearing them again for any ride I take.

http://earplugsonline.com/summer-sale/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=earpluginfo&utm_content=Mighty+Plugs+Ear+Plugs+Summer+SALE+%2521%2521%2521

These are pretty much the same as the silicone ones I mentioned above except mine as hi-vis red. Got a 6 pack in Walgreens. Can't remember how much I paid but I think it was about $6.

• 5 weeks later...

Very glad I stumbled across this thread.. I listen to music via my Scala headset embedded in-helmet speakers, and didn't realize that I could hear the music and engine better by using earplugs. Thanks everyone!!

• Member Contributer

I don't listen to music on the bike.

I do in my car, I don't think I've been in it without it over 30 years.

On the bike, I can't stand it, I like to concentrate on what's happening.

I get involved on the bike, engine, body movement, and getting it right.,

i don't commute, so that might make a difference.

I do use ear plugs, have for the last year, can't belive I didn't start earlier.

Your hearing is very important, you don't relise how much untill you lose some of it.

Trust me, I have tinnitus brought on from riding, it sucks.

It's not the loud pipes that are at fault, it is usually wind noise that is the culprit.

PROTECT YOUR HEARING, ONCE ITS DAMAGED, THERE IS NO GOING BACK.

I've never thought the wind noise was all that loud in my helmet (Shoei Quest), but I'm starting to really question that.

I have had some amount of constant ringing in my ears so long I always thought it was just kinda normal, ugh....

Think I'll give ear plugs a try, thanks for the wake-up call to at least put a stop to furthering the damage.

• Member Contributer

I might have said this many pages back, but...

What is sound? It's vibrations transmitted/carried through air.

What is noise? Unwanted sound.

What's wind? Moving air. So, wind = noise.

I wear hearing aids both ears, partly because of noise-induced hearing loss (~70%). I wear plugs for every ride, and I can still hear enough to ride safely.

P.S.

+3 dB = TWICE the energy.

• Member Contributer

I probably posted this link before but figured since this thread has momentum again, I'll post the link again. In the downloads section is a pamphlet on NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss) that I scanned from the House Ear Institute, good info.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/174-nihl-pamphletpdf/

Cheers

If anybody is looking for some ear plugs to try, my favorite right now are Moldex Comets 25. They are ribbed silicone, not foam, easy to put in, and IMHO block just the right amount of noise for mixed city/highway riding. I'd still take my 35s for long rides at entertaining speeds though.

Are there other plugs that people might seriously recommend for a bake off?

• Member Contributer

I had the good fortune to purchase an original Norton Commando 850, 75 vintage from the original owner when I first got into riding. He was an old elderly chap, but shared his lesson on earplugs and ear safety. He had severe tinnitus from his lifetime of riding. I saw his helmet and he had it padded out the wazoo, along with earplugs he used to keep the ringing manageable. I was fortunate and took this gentlemans advice. I have always used earplugs, initially foam, but now custom and I can't imagine riding anytime without them.

Dave.

I've worn ear plugs every single time I have turned the key from day one as a rider. A few years ago they morphed into in-the-ear earphones for music. They still work great at keeping the wind noise out, probably a better seal than my crush & roll plugs used to.

• 2 months later...
Guest Recalcitrance

I find that the majority of young/new riders don't wear ear plugs. They learn the hard way.

Going down the street to the store or to the gas station dont typically go with plugs, but anything longer than ten minutes or if I'm going on the freeway, then yes on plugs.

Ear plugs don't make you deaf to the noise around you. I actually find that I hear what I need to hear better with plugs in since a lot of the white noise is blocked. I can hear my engine and the traffic just fine, but what sort of plugs you use has a lot to do with your experience.

• Member Contributer

Foam Laserlites are part of my ATGATT. They're very comfy and I can hear the bike's engine and emergency vehicles fine. Losing hearing is losing interaction with friends and family so I'm intent on preserving it.

• Member Contributer

I never did for many years and now have hearing loss that is permanent.

I wear reusable Alpine earplugs now and as lots have said, it makes for a much better ride.

I can still hear my headset so all is good.

I probably posted on this thread a couple years ago, but...

I wear cheap foam earplugs both on the bike, on stage (I'm a musician on the side and play on many loud stages), and at the shooting range. As everyone above said, once your hearing is gone it's gone for good. I already have some hearing loss, so I will protect what I have left.

Any ride over 10-15 minutes, especially if it's on the freeway, and the plugs go in. I know many people prefer custom-fit or just higher end earplugs, but I'm happy with the cheap foam throw-aways, which only cost a couple bucks per 5 to 10 pairs. I keep them in a small vial in my riding jacket, in my gig bag (for my horn), and in a small case in my range bag. I buy new batches whenever I start to run low on my supply.

Nothing against better plugs, and maybe I'll buy a few pair someday, but the cheapos get the job done. The point isn't the quality but that they get worn almost every ride. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I'm a big proponent of ear plugs darn near 100% of the time. I recently ordered some DUBS - Acoustic Filters, which are supposed to filter out certain frequencies. I'll let ya'll know how they work.

I wear reusable Alpine earplugs now and as lots have said, it makes for a much better ride.

I've got nothing against foam plugs - they do the job and are far better than nothing - but I wear the Alpine ones as well and find them very versatile and different (better). I've used them at live music performances as well. Unlike foam ones, the filter allows the sound still to come through so the mix is not lost and you're not stuck with just listening to 'muffled' music.

Back to the bike, I also can wear them in the whole time and have conversations with people as well. They really don't "isolate you" as foam ones can - so I don't have to remove them all the time for short stops, etc.

Lastly (generalizing about any plugs now) I think they not only protect hearing, but also offer protection from noise fatigue. I know it sounds funny, but years ago when I went from Passive Noise Cancelling Headsets to Active Noise Cancelling headsets in the plane I couldn't believe the difference in the lack of fatigue I got after a long flight compared to the others.

• Member Contributer

I have yet to try out Active Noise Cancelling headsets. They really intrigue me, and I wonder how well they work. But then again, planes are so much quieter then they used to be… or am I dating myself by saying this… maybe.

​I only use passive foam earplugs, but I use them all the time, including when the kids scream and cry for a long period of time. I'm a bit silly that way but my hearing is important to me--and my wife thinks I'm nuts, but she just thinks I'm nuts in general anyways…..…

C

Archived