Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

• Member Contributer
Hey all, just curious about how many here ride with earplugs, and why you do. Since getting the VFR, I started wearing them, and now won't ride without them. Much more pleasant ride - not near as much noise. Let's hear it....

Dave P.

you people are WEIRD!!!

ear plugs! you wanna be deaf , like me?!?!!!

tongue.gif :cool: tongue.gif

just messing with everone!

on the flip side.. if everyone here learned signlanguage.. it maes group rides much more fun.. you can talk across a parking lot with out shutting of your bikes :laugh:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all, just curious about how many here ride with earplugs, and why you do. Since getting the VFR, I started wearing them, and now won't ride without them. Much more pleasant ride - not near as much noise. Let's hear it....

Dave P.

you people are WEIRD!!!

ear plugs! you wanna be deaf , like me?!?!!!

tongue.gif :blink: tongue.gif

just messing with everone!

on the flip side.. if everyone here learned signlanguage.. it maes group rides much more fun.. you can talk across a parking lot with out shutting of your bikes :beer:

Actually.... That was my reason for learning "American Sign Language" , but of course no one else wanted to bother..... It turned out for the good in the long run, met some deaf pip's that were highly educated(I'm just a HS grad), and some of their hearing friends, which made it much easier to learn without slowing down the conversation.

We'd go to these disco's (read loud) in the 80's, and it was the 1st time I injoyed talking with someone (with out shouting and asking WHAT?). Also learned how to sign while holding a drink..... :cool:

You are "right on"(point/then palm down on the back of the other hand)

• Member Contributer
I'd have to disagree with some of the statements about helmet speakers being worse than in-ear ones. There aren't many in-ear headphones that are specifically designed to block out wind-noise and background noises associated with motorcycling - you're going to have a lot more protection from really good earplugs than headphones.

And the additional background 'noise' of music at the same level as wind noise is not going to add more damage to the hearing - it's not additive. Noise over 90db will damage your hearing with prolonged exposure - reducing the noise by 25-35db will effectively negate the damage.

Actually, a good pair of in-ear monitors can provide better protection than ear plugs. Custom fit is best (be it IEM's or just ear plugs).

But there are two main reasons beside this that you will get better sound from IEM's than helmet speakers and ear plugs.

1. Earplugs do not attenuate evenly. This means that your ear plugs are blocking out higher frequencies much moreso than lower frequencies. Listening to music past earplugs always distorts the signal. Custom musician's ear plugs make great strides to attenuate evenly, and can actually make certain situations (like concerts) sound better where more noise distorts anyway. But by putting a piece of foam between the speaker and your ear canal will always distort the signal.

2. Signal-to-Noise ratio is improved. By using IEM's, you are cutting the sound level of external noises only. By using a speaker and earplugs, you are blocking both wind noises AND the signal you are trying to reproduce faithfully.

Custom-fit IEM's are the best bet for sound quality AND hearing protection. But, again, you can get pretty good options for fairly cheap.

For most people, none of this is an issue, but for the discriminating audiophile, such as myself, sound is important. And keep in mind the sound quality of most MP3 players (both bit-rate and cheap pre-amps) is bad enough that none of this probably matters.

So, if all you want is to be able to tell that music is there--and don't want to fuss with a cord, go with ear plugs and helmet speakers.

If sound quality is important, and one doesn't mind having to fuss with the cord, go with In-Ear-Monitors.

• Member Contributer

I wear plugs all the time.

Hearing aids in both ears for the last 18 years; partly hereditary and partly from constuction work when I was younger and had no insight/education/advice. Totally regret it - I thought plugs were enough during jackhammering, nailgun...

To anyone who would say we don't need hearing protection while riding a bike, LISTEN UP!

Wind noise is among the highest-energy sounds we can be exposed to.

What is sound, after all, other than vibrations in air?

• Member Contributer
I think it's my cheap mp3 player that just doesn't have good volume, mine cranked I cant hear anything really past 65-70. I've tried it with plugs in before and I couldn't hear a thing. The helmetaudio site has an inline volume control for bout $6, I wanna try that. I think that combined with my POS mp3 player will give me enough volume that I can put back in the plugs. But for the simplicity, quickness with my helmet and I can still have music and ear plugs I'm staying with the helmet speakers.

Better late than never, I suppose... :blink:

Get any cheap,foam type earplugs.

Put em in correctly.

Roll them up between your finger.Reach over your head with your right hand,pull up on your left ear and slip the plug in with your left hand.Repeat on your right side.This is important!

They will expand in a few seconds and you will hear the world get quiet.Ahhhh,!They should be snug and not extruding from your ears.Putting on or removing your helmet should not make them fall out.If so ,they are not put in correctly.

This is as good an explanation as I've seen. When I first started wearing earplugs I wasn't inserting them properly and didn't get the full benefit. As the foam expands, you should experience a rapid sensation of enveloping quiet, the result of which should be like Bonneville at midnight. The key for me was to only use "fresh" foam earplugs, as the old ones (or the, er, "used" ones) expand too quickly after being rolled-up. Unless there's a delay, you can't get them deep enough into your ears...

Ciao,

I think it's my cheap mp3 player that just doesn't have good volume, mine cranked I cant hear anything really past 65-70. I've tried it with plugs in before and I couldn't hear a thing. The helmetaudio site has an inline volume control for bout $6, I wanna try that. I think that combined with my POS mp3 player will give me enough volume that I can put back in the plugs. But for the simplicity, quickness with my helmet and I can still have music and ear plugs I'm staying with the helmet speakers.

Better late than never, I suppose... :blink:

Get any cheap,foam type earplugs.

Put em in correctly.

Roll them up between your finger.Reach over your head with your right hand,pull up on your left ear and slip the plug in with your left hand.Repeat on your right side.This is important!

They will expand in a few seconds and you will hear the world get quiet.Ahhhh,!They should be snug and not extruding from your ears.Putting on or removing your helmet should not make them fall out.If so ,they are not put in correctly.

This is as good an explanation as I've seen. When I first started wearing earplugs I wasn't inserting them properly and didn't get the full benefit. As the foam expands, you should experience a rapid sensation of enveloping quiet, the result of which should be like Bonneville at midnight. The key for me was to only use "fresh" foam earplugs, as the old ones (or the, er, "used" ones) expand too quickly after being rolled-up. Unless there's a delay, you can't get them deep enough into your ears...

Ciao,

You make a good point!

Another add on to insertion, is to lick it quick after the rolling technique..... Roll/lick/insert/hold.....

• Member Contributer
Another add on to insertion, is to lick it quick after the rolling technique..... Roll/lick/insert/hold.....

I'm going to skip the middle-school sex jokes and just say make sure you don't reuse them this way,

Mmmm... Ear-Waxy!

Wow - turned into some great discussion! I'm also one of those guys that tried the Ipod while riding, and found that it was too distracting for me. Each to thier own, I guess. I currently use disposable plugs from work, but may pursue some custom molded plugs, as they are probably more comfy - any recommenations?

Dave P.

I didn't use anything at first when I started riding. Then I purchased a Scala rider and would listen to the radio. But once you got up to highway speeds, you couldn't really hear anything unless you turned it up and that made me uncomfortable. So, then I just went without for a while then I tried the expandable foam ones that you can get anywhere. But I was really missing music, so I started looking for in ear. A couple of friends recommended the "etonics," I believe and that's what I almost when with. Looking around some more, I found Blockades for a lost less money. They are less than 30 bucks and are shaped just like the etonics. I can listen to music at any speed, and I really don't have to turn it up too much. The nicest part about the blockades is they have a push button volume control so they're easy to use with gloves. I found them at Lowes where they sell ear protection. Now I use them anytime I am doing any kind of work. Don't forget about around the house, cutting grass, using saws, etc. They block alot of noise, but not all of it. I can hear cars, and sirens, etc. And after a good 200 mile ride with my buddies, I have found that I am far less fatigued when I wear plugs.

• Member Contributer

I started wearing them this year, after seeing it discussed on other forums. Now I won't ride without them. I'm glad to hear (pun intended) that you can use a intercom, etc. with earplugs. I'm considering getting one next year as the woman will be riding with me a lot more, now that I have the VFR.

I've tried a couple of different types, but haven't settled on one particular just yet. I'd love a set of custom made ones, if I ever have the money.

• Member Contributer

I am an example of what happens when you don't wear earplugs. I now have to wear hearing aids all the time, and even that leaves me asking people to repeat what they just said. I watch the sub titles on the tv!

This all came to a head while my daughter was a small girl (she's 23 now) and I found I couldn't hear her. I had my hearing tested and found I was normal for the first couple of base measures and then there was a massive dip. I had up to 40% loss in some areas.

I have been around motorcycles, race car engines, power tools and convertible top cars since I was 14, so that's 40 years, and the hearing loss has crept up on me and continues to grow.

I periodically have to have my hearing aids reprogrammed to boost my hearing. I have a fancy new bluetooth set that have a little amp I can plce on a meeting room table to get better amplification, and it links to my Blackberry seamlessly. all that for a few thousand dollars, but I can hear.

Nopw I have custom made ear plugs from my audiologist, and I won't go near an engine or a motorcycle without them in. I wear muff style hearing protectors when i cut the grass or use power tools.

everyone, protect your hearing!!!!! You may not think it matters now, but it does.

John

ok well i do where one in one side but thats as its for music some ppl call it and ear plug and some call it an ear phone u prob mean as in ear plugs to reduce noise but cant get on personaly its to quiet lol prefer music on low in just one ear

Cool! What do you guys play? (I know, off topic, but 2/3 ain't bad)...

I play bass. Would eventually love to do that for a living, but right now the Army is my day job...someday, maybe :pissed: I played in punk bands, classic rock bands, a 7-piece disco band (complete w/ outfits, although I think I successfully destroyed all photographic evidence of that), and a System of a Down tribute band. My G&L five stringer is my second most precious material belonging after my bike.

huh, what'd ya say? (low freq rumble especially brutal)

fender jazz & precision, schecter 004, schecter stiletto studio 5 played through 6x10 and 1x18 sub @ 1200 watts

• Member Contributer

Hey, Muppet

Try some punctuation, grammar and maybe capitals, even...

Most of the folks here have at least high school education.

No offense, just askin'.

• Member Contributer

I have found foam earplugs in the 32 to 34 DB range. The highest in-ear speakers, molded earplugs, or ear phones I've been able to find are only 27 DB or less. I'm sticking with the 32 to 34 DB foam earplugs. Anything less doesn't seem to work for me.

• Member Contributer
Hey, Muppet

Try some punctuation, grammar and maybe capitals, even...

Most of the folks here have at least high school education.

No offense, just askin'.

Hey! Lay off! He's just a Muppet! (J/K)

• Member Contributer
I have found foam earplugs in the 32 to 34 DB range. The highest in-ear speakers, molded earplugs, or ear phones I've been able to find are only 27 DB or less. I'm sticking with the 32 to 34 DB foam earplugs. Anything less doesn't seem to work for me.

The Shure in ears come with different size sleeves and they just recently (last year or so) they added a formed foam sleeve. I'm not sure what the db rating is, but the couple times my MP3 stopped playing (battery or end of playlist), they seem very close to the 34db plugs I normally wear. I work in the audio industary and a pretty good judge audio levels.

They block enough outside noise that I have the music at the same level riding the bike as I do when I'm doing yard work around the house. I makes the music a lot more of a background thing, than a main thing. More enjoyable riding.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/D...uctID.105436100

• Member Contributer
Cool! What do you guys play? (I know, off topic, but 2/3 ain't bad)...

I play bass. Would eventually love to do that for a living, but right now the Army is my day job...someday, maybe :pissed: I played in punk bands, classic rock bands, a 7-piece disco band (complete w/ outfits, although I think I successfully destroyed all photographic evidence of that), and a System of a Down tribute band. My G&L five stringer is my second most precious material belonging after my bike.

Hehehehehe... you'd be surprised how much family and friends keep old pics around... :fing02: And then there's youtube...

c

Just something to remind us all that this country was settled by people that didn't have a formal education,etc......

This is just something I remembered seeing, when I first joined this great forum.......

CONDUCT

Flame wars will not be tolerated

If you feel the need to trash talk members about your bike or what ever, hold that thought and forget it. This board is for serious bike talk and not tit a tat baloney. Any inappropriate post will be deleted, membership privileges can be revoked for serious violations of the rules

• Member Contributer

The Shure in ears come with different size sleeves and they just recently (last year or so) they added a formed foam sleeve. I'm not sure what the db rating is, but the couple times my MP3 stopped playing (battery or end of playlist), they seem very close to the 34db plugs I normally wear. I work in the audio industary and a pretty good judge audio levels.

They block enough outside noise that I have the music at the same level riding the bike as I do when I'm doing yard work around the house. I makes the music a lot more of a background thing, than a main thing. More enjoyable riding.

Remember, decibel levels are an exponential, not a linear progression. 35 db's is a good bit of reduction.

Like the majority of others here, I use the rollup earplugs religiously. Generally buy them in a big jug from Lowes. Carry them in my jacket in an altoids tin.

I hate riding w/o them. Tinnitus sux. Foam earplugs clean the wax out real good too.

ace57

Someone should make an iPhone app that changes the volume based on speed. They could use the GPS and accelerometer to do it. That way if you stop it would pause the tunes and you could talk to your buddies and when you get going to would slowly bring the volume up....

• Member Contributer

Remember, decibel levels are an exponential, not a linear progression. 35 db's is a good bit of reduction.

Actually it's Logarithmic function, however you're right, 35db is a good bit of reduction. I wasn't really focusing on the number, since db's can be measured on different weighting scales. That being said, with the noises involved with riding, the Shure foam plugs seem to give close to the same results, as I hear them. 34db is just to reference to a known, rated ear plug, not necessarily the measurement of sound block. Kind of an "A" to "B" camparsion if you will.

I damaged my ears enough by the time I got to riding. I was a hip-hop and techno DJ for many years mixing it up on the wheels of steel. I played clubs, raves, and house parties with the loudest PA systems you can imagine and never wore ear protection. Also, I had to have a loud stereo with a sub in my car too during those years - that didn't help much either.

My main thing for wearing them is that the wind noise (at freeway speeds) is unbearable without them. It also causes rider fatigue on longer rides. Sometimes on short rides in town, I'll go without though. I must be gettin old I guess.

Archived