Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

• Member Contributer

I need to start wearing them, can't stand the wind noise.

I didn't care for listening to music when I tried it, felt nervous that I couldn't hear what was going on around me, or with the bike.

I think I am still thinking about the music when I think I don't want to wear plugs.

Good call on keeping the bugs out of our brains Monk.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
I usually put in my earplugs when I get home from riding. That way I don't have to listen to my wife yapping about how how long I've been gone LOL!!!

Regards,

Rollin

Sy,

YOu should be ashamed of yourself. You give your wife such a hard time.

Let a brotha hear from you. Sorry, no weed available for you in the hood.

Ed

• Member Contributer
I'm a musician, so earplugs are a must. If your ears are ringing, or hurt, you've already done irreversible damage.

The two main factors that cause hearing loss: intensity and duration. Riding a bike is very noisy, unless you wears Schumacher's helmet, and it WILL damage your hearing. Now, the only way to protect yourself is to wear the best hear plugs you can find (35dB reduction), and I do every single time I ride. To me, they are almost as important as padded gear, gloves or a helmet. Yes, I still wanna be able to hear those birds when I'm 55--and believe me it's not that far away....

c

Hey all, just curious about how many here ride with earplugs, and why you do. Since getting the VFR, I started wearing them, and now won't ride without them. Much more pleasant ride - not near as much noise. Let's hear it....

Dave P.

Have you priced a good set of hearing aids lately. Big bucks.

I've been using earplugs for years, got them free when working construction projects. Have a slew of them stashed at home, and in my tankbags and riding gear. They not only protect your hearing but reduce fatigue as well, at least in my experience.

I rerely use them just puttering around town, at inner city speeds, but if I expect to go over 45mph for anything beyond a minute or two, I use them.

Since no one has yet to produce a really quiet helmet, I'll continue using them.

• Member Contributer

I always wear them. I already damaged my hearing years ago listening to music way too loud, so I want to preserve what I have left. I really can't stand to ride without them. The wind noise drives me nuts and it's distracting. Even with 32DB ear plugs, I can still hear the RPMs, and can also clearly hear my in-helmet speakers. But I can't hear the wind.

And Monk, if you get it up, and your wheelie lasts more than four hours, immediately call your doctor. Otherwise you may damage your equipment.

• Member Contributer

I ALWAYS wear 'em - even for short in town rides. Most of my adult life has been around motorcycles, helicopters and gunfire. What hearing damage I have is from turbine helicopters. Gunfire is impulse noise and motorcycle riding is continuous noise-both are bad. If your ears ring, either off and on or all the time, thats tinnitus-dying haircells in your inner ear. It doesn't come back, so take care of what you have left.

• Member Contributer
I've tried various ear buds but they either rip my ear off when taking off my helmet or are a pain to keep in place when putting on the helmet. The one I have now is from helmetaudio.com its the XSJ, it defiantly is not loud enough to drown out wind noise just loud enough to hear some tunes. They mount inside the helmet and an apx 2" long plug will come out where ever you route it...they're so easy to use even a cave man can do it. :blink:

I find if I route the cord behind my ears the headphones seal better, and if I route the cord under my jacket, it stays in very well. Are you saying you use ear plugs AND helmet speakers? If so, I guess I misunderstood, this is fine, you just lose a little sound quality. Sorry.

Thanks for opening the discussion, think I'll start wearing them.

Adrian

Yay! We've done good!

I wear earplugs for just about any ride over 15-20 minutes, esp. if it's on the freeway.

I'm a musician (like Ryan) so my hearing is important to me. I can't believe how many years I went without earplugs on loud stages when I was younger. Now I can't stand to NOT use them, either on stage or on the bike - again for anything longer than short trips.

BTW, after doing an all-day ride on a Sunday with earplugs, while doing my 10-mile commute to work without earplugs the wind noise seems extremely loud! :excl:

I'm a musician, so earplugs are a must. If your ears are ringing, or hurt, you've already done irreversible damage.

:excl:

Cool! What do you guys play? (I know, off topic, but 2/3 ain't bad)...

• Member Contributer
I think they are important enough to wear that I became a provider of Big Ear Custom Molded ear plugs. I had been wearing the foam ones for probably 12 years before I went to the custom ones.

Even when people say they aren't doing hearing damage, I always give them something else to think about. I explain that your brain is trying to process everything it hears, whether that is horns, music, wind noise, etc. Even though wind noise is garbage, your brain is trying to process that information (constantly). At the end of the day, your brain has been working overtime and is tired. By wearing ear plugs you cut back on that garbage your brain is trying to process and you are less fatigued.

I got some ear plugs from Ken for sleep and I have to say the quality is top notch. Also got the stereo headphones because I like to listen to music while riding and they are completely awesome- can listen at half level comfortably. with store bought earphones I had to listen close to full blast, and was starting to have some hearing trouble and pain.

Thanks again Ken!!

• Member Contributer
I used to wear them from time to time, defiantly cut down the wind noise and made for a much nicer ride. Now, I have speakers in my helmet and I think music makes for and even better ride. I want to get some kinda volume booster cause at highway speeds and beyond I can barley hear it, if I can get it loud enough to hear through earplugs then I would start wearing them again.

Supra-aural (over the ear) headphones or speakers cranked up to be heard over windnoise is going to give you massive hearing loss VERY quickly. You want to maximize signal-to-noise ratio. I would highly recommend a decent pair of in-ear monitors. You can go to Walmart and pay as little as $20, or spend $300-$700 on custom fit pieces. Either way you'll get much, much better sound with much less hearing loss.

All that's needed is a decent seal, if you're going cheap, I find the ones with rubber ear-canal seals work better than the foam ones.

Something like these: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...tingid=36039509

This site has them listed for $30 shipped, but you can probably get them or something similar for $25 or $30.

Oh, and one last thing, if you run the wires up and behind your ear (as opposed to with the wires hanging straight down) they will fit much better and not move around in your helmet!

I've tried various ear buds but they either rip my ear off when taking off my helmet or are a pain to keep in place when putting on the helmet. The one I have now is from helmetaudio.com its the XSJ, it defiantly is not loud enough to drown out wind noise just loud enough to hear some tunes. They mount inside the helmet and an apx 2" long plug will come out where ever you route it...they're so easy to use even a cave man can do it. :blink:

When I use my Shure E3c earbuds, I wear a balaclava (head sock) and it cures the helmet on/off thing. I have a silk one for the summer that keeps my head cool and helmet clean. In the winter I have one that keeps the heat in (and helmet clean).

• Member Contributer

#1. Protect the ears

#2. Quieter and more relaxing.

VFRMike.

Wow guys, thanks, really an eye-opening discussion. I hadn't sustained any high speed-long distance rides sufficient to give me any problems on my GS, but with the new purchase of the VFR...

I guess I'll need to be looking into a nice set of earplugs in addition to the Autocom for music (I'm hoping it will have the volume range to overcome earplugs?)

Nate/Grandure

After riding pretty much full-time since 1974, I have only, in the last 5 years or so, started using earplugs. I know that I already have partial hearing loss and I attribute that almost completely to years of riding without ear protection. Now I wear them every time I get on the bike, even if it's just a trip down to the corner shops.

• Member Contributer
I used to wear them from time to time, defiantly cut down the wind noise and made for a much nicer ride. Now, I have speakers in my helmet and I think music makes for and even better ride. I want to get some kinda volume booster cause at highway speeds and beyond I can barley hear it, if I can get it loud enough to hear through earplugs then I would start wearing them again.

Have you tried your setup with ear plugs?

I've got a Scala (in helmet speakers) playing my MP3's from the Zumo via Bluetooth, can't hear it at all going down the road above 40 MPh. Just use those little yellow foam guys and you hear the world and your tunes with no problem, just no more wind noise. :biggrin:

Cool! What do you guys play? (I know, off topic, but 2/3 ain't bad)...

I play bass. Would eventually love to do that for a living, but right now the Army is my day job...someday, maybe :cool: I played in punk bands, classic rock bands, a 7-piece disco band (complete w/ outfits, although I think I successfully destroyed all photographic evidence of that), and a System of a Down tribute band. My G&L five stringer is my second most precious material belonging after my bike.

• Member Contributer

Have you tried your setup with ear plugs?

I've got a Scala (in helmet speakers) playing my MP3's from the Zumo via Bluetooth, can't hear it at all going down the road above 40 MPh. Just use those little yellow foam guys and you hear the world and your tunes with no problem, just no more wind noise. :cool:

What he said! I use 32DB or 33DB foam ear plugs. Work like magic! NO WIND NOISE, but clear music and you can hear the sounds around you! I even have to turn the volume DOWN on my Scala Rider when listening to music or using the intercom feature, even at high speeds. Makes a long trip enjoyable and considerably less tiring (continual loud noise drains you).

• Member Contributer

I have some hearing loss from too many years at the front of the stage at punk and metal shows. I'm trying to save what I have. I use some Shure in ear type headphones with an iPod. I find using them I can keep the music volume down and have decent sound, plus kill *some* of the windnoise. I can't carry on a conversation like this, but I can still here sirens, exhaust, etc.

• Member Contributer

Noooooo !If you keep tying to get music louder you'll just be doing a lot of damage to your ears.Google "In-ear moinitors",that's what their called the the music industry.If you HAVE to listen to music,you would want custom molding ear pieces.That will isolate the wind noise from the music so you don't have to increase volume, which will do damage over a very short time if you keep turning it up.Good ones will be in the $300-500,and up,range.

Listening to music is not for me while riding a motorcycle.I have enough to concentrate on and like the meditation-like focus it takes to ride.Yes long slab rides are tortuously boring, but that's part of the challenge for me.

I'm a pro audio tech in the television industry and a former professional drummer from 17 YO, till about 7-8 years ago.Exposed to a lot of dangerous SPL's and noticed early on that I would often have ringing in the ears after a show or loud rehearsal.Started wearing them back then and it made a huge difference.Whenever I forgot or lost my set, and had to play without them ,I couldn't believe what I had previously exposed my ears to.Even with diligence of wearing them most of the time,I still quite often ask people to repeat themselves and "excuse me and what?" are common phrases in my conversations.

I here a lot of people argue that earplugs prevent them from hearing traffic around them.For me this is not a problem.I am constantly scanning ahead,side to side and mirrors.It is very rare that someone comes up to my side without me seeing or hearing them.If they do I usually equate that to a lack of attention on my part ,not the earplugs.I can hear cars around me no problem.There is a gettin used to period,whether riding or playing drums because certain frequencies that you ears are used to hearing are not there.Once your brain realizes,(is trained),that all is well and the world isn't going to hell because all freqs from 3-4k on up are reduced ,you'll relax and get used to the freqs you hear and expect them while wearing earplugs.

I use Walgreen foam earplugs.There cheap,disposable(thow them out or wash them after a couple of uses because of germs) and they come in a jug(forget the quantity) which will last for a long time.

Try this experiment.

Get any cheap,foam type earplugs.

Put em in correctly.

Roll them up between your finger.Reach over your head with your right hand,pull up on your left ear and slip the plug in with your left hand.Repeat on your right side.This is important!

They will expand in a few seconds and you will hear the world get quiet.Ahhhh,!They should be snug and not extruding from your ears.Putting on or removing your helmet should not make them fall out.If so ,they are not put in correctly.

Go for a ride!Get up to speed doesn't have to be highway but above 40-50mph,20mins to an hour should be enough as long as it isn't stop and go traffic.

Take the the plugs out and do the same trip home.You'll be blown away at what you've subjected your precious eardrums to.

• Member Contributer
Try this experiment.

Get any cheap,foam type earplugs.

Put em in correctly.

Roll them up between your finger.Reach over your head with your right hand,pull up on your left ear and slip the plug in with your left hand.Repeat on your right side.This is important!

They will expand in a few seconds and you will hear the world get quiet.Ahhhh,!They should be snug and not extruding from your ears.Putting on or removing your helmet should not make them fall out.If so ,they are not put in correctly.

Go for a ride!Get up to speed doesn't have to be highway but above 40-50mph,20mins to an hour should be enough as long as it isn't stop and go traffic.

Take the the plugs out and do the same trip home.You'll be blown away at what you've subjected your precious eardrums to.

I would just like to add that you may have to hold them in with your finger after insertion until they expand in your ear canal and don't push themselves out.

I just stared wearing earplugs, I've really liked that the wind noise is gone...YAY! I have a Shoei helmet RF1000 and it's supposed to be quiet. With the plugs in it's really nice. I can hear the cars and such just fine.

I tried wearing earbuds for music but I also realized the damage I was doing with the Ipod cranked up and the wind noise.

I think Earplugs are the only way to go now.

Agreed.

I use the boosteroo with helmet speakers and 35db earplugs. That combination works great!

I don't crank up the tunes - only enough to hear them, and generally wind noise is still higher than the music.

I'd have to disagree with some of the statements about helmet speakers being worse than in-ear ones. There aren't many in-ear headphones that are specifically designed to block out wind-noise and background noises associated with motorcycling - you're going to have a lot more protection from really good earplugs than headphones.

And the additional background 'noise' of music at the same level as wind noise is not going to add more damage to the hearing - it's not additive. Noise over 90db will damage your hearing with prolonged exposure - reducing the noise by 25-35db will effectively negate the damage.

wow thats nuts.

i have in helmet speakers, and with ear plugs and my mp3 player cranked, i can hear it up to about 80mph. i figure anything above that i should be paying more attention anyways;)

when i have forgotten to plug up, i almost jump out of my leathers because it is so loud!!! with plugs, just right!!!

I think it's my cheap mp3 player that just doesn't have good volume, mine cranked I cant hear anything really past 65-70. I've tried it with plugs in before and I couldn't hear a thing. The helmetaudio site has an inline volume control for bout $6, I wanna try that. I think that combined with my POS mp3 player will give me enough volume that I can put back in the plugs. But for the simplicity, quickness with my helmet and I can still have music and ear plugs I'm staying with the helmet speakers.

That inline volume control won't boost it, it will only let you turn it down. You need something powered. If you want to bury it in the bike somewhere and run it off bike power, use a PIE inline amplifier. If you want something you can run off batteries and carry in your pocket, get the Boostaroo. Then put your earplugs back in, and save your hearing!

Archived