Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

• Member Contributer

ridden for years and even when it was uncool I wore earplugs, mainly because I worked in heavy industry and always a readily available supply.

Found it greatly reduced the wind noise and made riding much less tiring.

Best setup I ever had was Shoei RF1000 and custom moulded ear plugs. The Shoei definitely reduces wind noise due to the flush design of the visor (no side pods) and the custom fit earplugs are so comfortable. Can easily wear them for 10-12hrs a day with no discomfort.

Found I cannot ride with music playing, its just too distracting for me, but each to their own.

Custom Ear Protect db Blockers

dB%20Blocker%20Solid%20550x550.JPG

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I wear ear buds witch cut down on the wind noise and I got my music. But I have all the problems with my ear buds. I want to get a set of customs but

at $200 to $600 not today. I found the best of both worlds, custom earphones at a good price. No I have not tryed them yet, maybe next pay check.

Has any one tryed these???

http://www.earfuze.com/index.html

Stephen

• Member Contributer
Just something to remind us all that this country was settled by people that didn't have a formal education,etc......

This is just something I remembered seeing, when I first joined this great forum.......

CONDUCT

Flame wars will not be tolerated

If you feel the need to trash talk members about your bike or what ever, hold that thought and forget it. This board is for serious bike talk and not tit a tat baloney. Any inappropriate post will be deleted, membership privileges can be revoked for serious violations of the rules

Where's BR when we need him?!? Oh wait, I remember where he is... Ok, for this time, but only this time BR, you get away with not modding this thread ... :pissed: :cool: just kidding oh look no punctuation either :fing02:

Good call Monk.

• Member Contributer
Actually it's Logarithmic function, however you're right, 35db is a good bit of reduction. I wasn't really focusing on the number, since db's can be measured on different weighting scales. That being said, with the noises involved with riding, the Shure foam plugs seem to give close to the same results, as I hear them. 34db is just to reference to a know rated ear plug, not necessarily the measurement of sound block. Kind of an "A" to "B" camparsion if you will.

Exactly. You're right, technically it is a logarithmic function, but the point is that 10 db is more than twice the intensity of 5 db, and so on. Technically levels of attenuation are relative measurements without a reference point, but for our purposes we can speak about 25 db of attenuation vs 35 db. Etc.

I wear ear buds witch cut down on the wind noise and I got my music. But I have all the problems with my ear buds. I want to get a set of customs but

at $200 to $600 not today. I found the best of both worlds, custom earphones at a good price. No I have not tryed them yet, maybe next pay check.

Has any one tryed these???

http://www.earfuze.com/index.html

Stephen

I have not tried DIY types, but have heard it can be very hard to get the epoxy deep enough, and that you can get better results for cheaper by using non-custom IEM's. If you do decide to go with custom-fit ones, Big Ear http://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-1C.aspx offers motorcycle specific ear buds (and we have an authorized rep on here!) and Fidelity audio offers quality systems for cheap http://www.inearsystems.com/ that won't fit as well inside a helmet, but have multiple drivers for a good price. Either require you go to an audiologist to get a mold, which costs about $25 (call around, different places have different prices).

I'm in your boat, I want to get some custom ones, but can't afford the $350 for a quality set. If you do go the DIY route make sure to post up a review for us!

• Member Contributer
I'm in your boat, I want to get some custom ones, but can't afford the $350 for a quality set. If you do go the DIY route make sure to post up a review for us!

Ken (wera81something :pissed: ) made my set at the last tmac and charged around 70-80 dollars, was a slight discount as i got them together with stero earphones.

• Member Contributer

I have a nice set of Shures that I love, but they were a PIA to wear riding (keeping them in getting helmet on/off). I broke down and bought a nice set of custom molded ones. Very very nice. Glad I spent the coin. Hope they last.

I don't usually wear anything on my commute though. I think hearing :fing02: (pun intended) you guys, I'm gonna start. I understand hearing loss is cumulative, and I think mine has been deteriorating for a while. (Can't for the life of me figure out how I passed the hearing test at my last physical.)

I`m 25, riding for four years and I always wear them on journeys longer than 15 mins. I used to get ringing ears after longer journeys but no more! Best one`s I`ve got were from the airport. They`ve got interchangeable inserts for a high pitched filter and one for low. Absolutley brilliant, and they`re the rubber type one`s that go inside your ear like the ear buds on my iphone... Recommended? A MUST!

For short trips earplugs are nice, but for longer trips they are essential. I even use them with my autocom system and it works lovely. Listening to the wind for hours on end isn't pleasant.

I've been wearing the standard E-A-R yellow foam classic plugs for nearly 30 years. Occasionally I'll try another brand but none seem to work as well for me. Some seal too tight and will give you a headache during long stints. I run a J&M wired system combined with a Zumo 550 specifically to listen to podcasts during my commute. The earplugs actually enhance the sound. Without them, it's crap. Recently I tried some highly touted Moldex pura-fit 6800's. They suck. Even thought the NRR rating was higher than my Classics, the wind noise (resonance) was such that they made things much worse. I thought it was me so I gave a bunch of them to several of my riding buddies who also use com gear. They reported the same thing. Back to the Classics. I buy them by the case, 200 pairs in the little cardboard pillow pouch.

I used to wear them from time to time, defiantly cut down the wind noise and made for a much nicer ride. Now, I have speakers in my helmet and I think music makes for and even better ride. I want to get some kinda volume booster cause at highway speeds and beyond I can barley hear it, if I can get it loud enough to hear through earplugs then I would start wearing them again.

Get a Boostaroo, $30. doubler your output of your speakers.

• Member Contributer
I used to wear them from time to time, defiantly cut down the wind noise and made for a much nicer ride. Now, I have speakers in my helmet and I think music makes for and even better ride. I want to get some kinda volume booster cause at highway speeds and beyond I can barley hear it, if I can get it loud enough to hear through earplugs then I would start wearing them again.

Get a Boostaroo, $30. doubler your output of your speakers.

Make sure you have your helmet speakers positioned directly and exactly at your ear canal. Even if off a liitle bit, it makes a big difference for the worse.

Here's what I did.... I took the hard rubber bud off the ear piece... cut 1 of my soft ear plugs in half and stuck(punched hole with forceps and spread and inserted)ear piece in the bud..... works great and cheap to change ear bud...

gallery_16535_4665_2724195.jpg

DSC00207.JPG

Hi.

It looks like everybody tries desperately to cut the external noise out by using earplugs. So did I. And it did not work satisfactorily. Taking the helmet off took my ears off (almost). Than i started to try everybody's high tear helmets. To my surprise BMW or Shubert flagship helmet was not much better than my cheap Streetfighter Bronx egg shell. BIG surprise. Bigger than price difference. So i started to experiment twisting my neck in all directions while riding fast to find out what really produced the noise. When my head was down so that i saw only the fuel tank lock, the noise was very little. A set of mirrors projecting the road ahead on the fuel tank would be too much McGyver like and probably illegal :fing02: That made me go searching for other solutions. I strted to wear a turtle neck stuffed with a mohair scarf. All the way up to my chin. The noise dropped down to 10-20% of usual level. Good, but not good enaugh. I went to the bike shops selling cheap helmets and accesories to them. One had a piece of rubber to be attached to the bottom rim of helmet's chin section. I bought it and mounted on my helmet. Almost close to but not enaugh. It was rubbing my neck with it's nasty edge. Next try was a piece of my wife's fur collar. (rabbit or something like that) Eureka! gaffer taped to the helmet's lower front edge after i took the helmet on it did the trick. And disclosed source nr 2 - the screen. Short trip to an old gentleman restoring oldtimer photo cameras (those using glass negatives) To make it light tight he used some velour like stuff. In short terms a kind of brush with a lot of short hairs. 5 mm wide stripe of the tape attached around helmets edge where the shield contacts did a miracle. I can hear my bluetooth phone loud and clear but..... yes there always is a but :goofy: 1. at the traffic light i have to open the shield immediately if i want to see anything. 2. The preperation of the fur under my chin takes a looong time and does not look pretty. So for now on i jog my brain to find a permanent solution. Any ideas? Even these too far out are appreciated......Maybe a full size beard would help? Neeeea not enaugh hair i suppose. Or even worse.... it might generate the additional noise.....

:blink: Simple answer; I do ....Not so simple reason why; After spending 30 years of my life working in and around jet aircraft with hearing protection and driving motorcycles for the last 36 years without, I have noticed a problem called "tinnitus" after long rides (at any speed). A riding companion once asked me; "Why I didn't wear ear plugs?"...I thought about the reasons why not (or lack of them) and then ordered a box of EAR soft foam ear plugs....I now ride longer and in more comfort than before...and the quantifiable difference is very little "buzzing" after the ride is over...Ear plugs are a priceless addition to your riding gear...IMO :cool:

Be Safe Ride Safe,

Jeffy

• Member Contributer
I have a nice set of Shures that I love, but they were a PIA to wear riding (keeping them in getting helmet on/off). I broke down and bought a nice set of custom molded ones. Very very nice. Glad I spent the coin. Hope they last.

I don't usually wear anything on my commute though. I think hearing :blink: (pun intended) you guys, I'm gonna start. I understand hearing loss is cumulative, and I think mine has been deteriorating for a while. (Can't for the life of me figure out how I passed the hearing test at my last physical.)

Wearing a "head sock" makes helmet on / off a breeze. Also helps a little with noise and helps to keep helmet "fresh".

• Member Contributer

I enjoy moozic non stop on every ride...

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital

speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the

music through even at low volumes... perfect...

EarPlugInstalled.jpg

RockinEarPlugs.JPG

I added a HRC approved light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver...

SiriusSatelliteRadioRC45..JPG

• Member Contributer

If the ride is less than an hour, I wear foam ear plugs. If it's a day ride, I wear ear buds (Shure) and listen to the mp3 player. I don't keep the volume all that high, but I like having the background music. My mp3 is set to random and it's really talented about picking the right music for the road. Not sure how it knows what is right for the moment but it always does.

GyspyCat

• Member Contributer
Hi.

It looks like everybody tries desperately to cut the external noise out by using earplugs. So did I. And it did not work satisfactorily. Taking the helmet off took my ears off (almost). Than i started to try everybody's high tear helmets. To my surprise BMW or Shubert flagship helmet was not much better than my cheap Streetfighter Bronx egg shell. BIG surprise. Bigger than price difference. So i started to experiment twisting my neck in all directions while riding fast to find out what really produced the noise. When my head was down so that i saw only the fuel tank lock, the noise was very little. A set of mirrors projecting the road ahead on the fuel tank would be too much McGyver like and probably illegal :blink: That made me go searching for other solutions. I strted to wear a turtle neck stuffed with a mohair scarf. All the way up to my chin. The noise dropped down to 10-20% of usual level. Good, but not good enaugh. I went to the bike shops selling cheap helmets and accesories to them. One had a piece of rubber to be attached to the bottom rim of helmet's chin section. I bought it and mounted on my helmet. Almost close to but not enaugh. It was rubbing my neck with it's nasty edge. Next try was a piece of my wife's fur collar. (rabbit or something like that) Eureka! gaffer taped to the helmet's lower front edge after i took the helmet on it did the trick. And disclosed source nr 2 - the screen. Short trip to an old gentleman restoring oldtimer photo cameras (those using glass negatives) To make it light tight he used some velour like stuff. In short terms a kind of brush with a lot of short hairs. 5 mm wide stripe of the tape attached around helmets edge where the shield contacts did a miracle. I can hear my bluetooth phone loud and clear but..... yes there always is a but :cool: 1. at the traffic light i have to open the shield immediately if i want to see anything. 2. The preperation of the fur under my chin takes a looong time and does not look pretty. So for now on i jog my brain to find a permanent solution. Any ideas? Even these too far out are appreciated......Maybe a full size beard would help? Neeeea not enaugh hair i suppose. Or even worse.... it might generate the additional noise.....

I think you missed your calling...couture fashion design. :blush:

I still find it amussing that this topic is still discussed. :blink:

-Reduces fatigue

-Preserves long term hearing

Plenty of evidence to show exposure to the high decibel white noise from riding (helmet or not) destroys your hearing.

• Member Contributer
I still find it amussing that this topic is still discussed. :blink:

-Reduces fatigue

-Preserves long term hearing

Plenty of evidence to show exposure to the high decibel white noise from riding (helmet or not) destroys your hearing.

Come again?

• Member Contributer

Hey, it's your ears! (Actually, "they're your ears", but we don't do grammar here!)

The case for wearing earplugs is 100 times more solid than the case for wearing helmets, but because there's no "earplug law", some people just won't figure it out. Helmets only increase your chances of survival IF you crash AND hit your head. In contrast, earplugs don't merely increase your chances of preserving your hearing--it's almost a certainty that they will (because hearing damage isn't just a possibility; it is a near-certain thing). I won't preach (any more than this) to anyone who chooses not to wear earplugs, but I reserve the right to look at them funny... :blink:

Ciao,

Between the D&D and the wind noise...I ALWAYS wear them. Usually I wear some shooters earplugs that work well enough on the road, but still allow me to hear people talking. Would LOVE to get a pair of custom-fit phones though, I've got a pair of earcandy plugs that I use on some of the longer rides and they work pretty well, but inevitably I end up going back to the regular earplugs. I already have some hearing damage, don't need to make it too much worse.

I confess, I don't wear them as long as I should.

In the borough or the neighboring township, I don't because I'm not getting up to more than 35 and I need to hear everything, as its all loaded with dog, cats, birds, children and ignorant soccer moms. Not hearing the yakking on a cell phone might not alert you to the ditz about to just walk right out in front of you, could be costly.

On highway trips, I put them in and they help alot, but after a couple of hours they start to irritate. I had Ken do ear molds for Big Ear plugs (and I have not bought the ear monitors yet). I can see from the molds that I have fairly small canals, so I try to tolerate generic plugs as long as I can.

I've used them with my chatterbox and it all works, but I can't wait to get all my stuff sorted out.

I'll add myself to the long list of geezers with a long history of working in high noise environments. Jet engines, big and little guns, (16" down to .17 cal) and life long motorcycle riding. Even though my hearing has been monitored since I was 18, and the signs were clear that damage was occurring, it took me a while to religiously wear hearing protection. Now that I do, I'm like a reformed smoker, i.e., insufferable to those who don't wear protection. Now I wear disposable foam ones Purofit 6800 seem to fit me the best. The EAR give me an earache after a while, but do a good job at making the world go away. I noticed a comment earlier regarding the fit of the 6800's, and had the same issues until I really got the inserted correctly. They are really an all or nothing kinda fit. Use the method of insertion so aptly described earlier in this thread and you're good to go. Occasionally, I'll use the Etymotics ER6 IEM with the black foam tips and they seem to provide almost the same level of protection as the regular ear plugs. The bad thing is the cost of replacing the tips regularly, but I guess that's the price of admission.

Archived