Who Wears Earplugs, And Why?

Guest sweet97

I have yet to try out Active Noise Cancelling headsets. They really intrigue me, and I wonder how well they work. But then again, planes are so much quieter then they used to be… or am I dating myself by saying this… maybe.

Depends what you fly. I was talking about Cessna's, not Boeing's. :-) But for the most part the ANC headsets work quite well. You notice instantly the reduction in lower frequency noise as soon as you 'hit the button'. The aviation headset I have I've had coming up 15 years old now - so I can only imagine that it's improved even more than then - but I'm still quite happy with the effectiveness of this one.

I've been known to use foam plugs at home too back when I was raising an infant. :wink:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have yet to try out Active Noise Cancelling headsets. They really intrigue me, and I wonder how well they work. But then again, planes are so much quieter then they used to be… or am I dating myself by saying this… maybe.

​I only use passive foam earplugs, but I use them all the time, including when the kids scream and cry for a long period of time. I'm a bit silly that way but my hearing is important to me--and my wife thinks I'm nuts, but she just thinks I'm nuts in general anyways…..…

C

It's a proven fact that men tend to go deaf in the exact frequency range of their wife's voice.

It's a proven fact that men tend to go deaf in the exact frequency range of their wife's voice.

I believe it. :laughing6-hehe: Got a link to that proof?

• Member Contributer

DUBS - Acoustic Filters were not suitable for me for riding above 65mph. They only have a 12db rating, and that might be optimistic. In the canyons, they were great. My bike has never sounded so good, and they gotta be good for 5hp! But on the freeway, still too much wind noise. Totally insufficient at the shooting range.

These would be good when you have to hear people and details, but just want to turn down the volume a notch. I will use them in the machine shop, when I travel, etc. They also might be good in the office when you need to focus, but can't tune out the outside world.

• Member Contributer

I got clued into hearing damage early in my riding career. Was huge into Norton Commandos. (Still am but prefer to get home :-) One of our group of Brit riders was an elderly chap. Had bad tinnitus. He was an evangelist on the subject = he'd show us his helmet. It looked like Kazoo's he had so much foam and such in there to make the ride palatable for him. I had huge respect for that man. He was still riding, and kick starting his Commando in his seventies. Always used the cheap foamies and then 10 years ago went custom. Have several sets, including one's that have speakers in them. The big thing is to get the seal with any type you use. I will not ride without them.

Dave.

• Member Contributer

I believe it. :laughing6-hehe: Got a link to that proof?

Or if you ride with bunch of 5th gens.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Wind noise without earplugs is like cold temps without gloves....it drains my focus decreasing my safety.

I did pick up some of the mighty plugs Duc mentioned in post #177. As a test of comfort, unlike foam plugs, I was able to leave them in while sleeping with no discomfort in the morning.

• Member Contributer

I'm telling you, these are the most comfortable plugs you'll wear. They don't seal by expanding in your ear, so they have no pressure on your ear canal. Add more or remove more of the material and make them fit your application. I no longer use the foam ones, I may keep a couple around for emergency, but these are now my go to ear plug.

Archived