Tyga Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

TL:DR

These are getting made now? Details? Twenty four pages is a lot to read.

The way I read this is, they are in the beginning phase of the proto type, they are still getting what they need in that regard. I'm excited to see how this plays out. But there is IMO a time line where once the 1st version is made it will, or should be put to a test as in a dyno run, once all the kinks are worked out then the pre orders would be filled, from that hopefully then it would be available on their web site at the same price. I hope they use a 5th gen on the dyno, be great to see how those numbers stack up to whats been done before. . That being, I thinking more than likely we won't see em for another at least 6 months plus, I'd love to be wrong, but it is what it is.. Come on TYGA, you have some pretty excited folks here.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once they have it done, it needs to be given to an independent owner of a 5th Gen. Do a dyno run with the OEM headers, then with e.g. Delkevic headers and then with the new Tyga headers, same day, same dyno - NO other changes. Only then will it be possible to evaluate its true worth.

• Member Contributer

Once they have it done, it needs to be given to an independent owner of a 5th Gen. Do a dyno run with the OEM headers, then with e.g. Delkevic headers and then with the new Tyga headers, same day, same dyno - NO other changes. Only then will it be possible to evaluate its true worth.

I'll run them on a dyno once I receive them... unfortunately, two of my untouched OEM headers are samples for Tyga, one very nice '99 catless and a pristine y2k with a catalytic converter. I have a modified set of '99 OEM headers on my 5th gen with the welds ground down which increased the cross sectional area by ~20% at the head that helps the very top end of the rpm range as compared to un-modified early 5th gen headers. At this time this is the only comparison I will have against the Tyga headers.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rush, you can always compare with this guys findings from back in the day

http://sfriday.com/VFR800/pcii.htm

Includes dyno comparisons, ply's you have my dyno chart history that shows a n 8hp gain from 112 to 120 after adding the TBR exhaust.

enjoy :)

Hey Rush, you can always compare with this guys findings from back in the day

http://sfriday.com/VFR800/pcii.htm

Includes dyno comparisons, ply's you have my dyno chart history that shows a n 8hp gain from 112 to 120 after adding the TBR exhaust.

enjoy :)

Ah, Scott Friday, of the VFR "Big List" at cs.wisc.edu

I remember the days of reading text and links. And then the Forums arrived and changed everything.

Bandwidth. What would we do without it. Haha.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if these headers will make it into production before the GSXR mirror mounts do... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I wonder if these headers will make it into production before the GSXR mirror mounts do... :goofy:

I was betting on the mirror mounts, now I'm not so sure! :lobby:

• Member Contributer

HELP NEEDED:

My headers are at Tyga and there are some development questions. Can someone take a picture of their OEM O2 sensors on the bike with a ruler in frame for distance reference and/or clearance measurements? Matt needs this info to ensure the O2 bungs don't interfere. IM me and I'll give you my email to send it. Also, I don't think we have clearance to cross the larger diameter pipes over off the front head to mimic the 6th gen routing due to body work clearance; neither the TBR or Erion crossed their front pipes. If someone with a gen 5.5 OEM pipe and 6th gen OEM pipe could get a pic or measurement of bodywork clearance around the pipe cross over I'd appreciate it. Thanks... Russ

UPDATE: We missed our initial time slot for the exhaust development due to shipping delays so we now have two projects ahead of us in the queue.

Per Matt:

"Right now we’ve missed the slot to get on with this, as I have a couple of KTM RC390 pipes to develop and get into production, and also the new MSX125 GROM needs a new design pipe, so I’ll need to see where we are with those before I can offer a date of when we can get onto this VFR pipe. But at least we have it here now and can start looking at it a bit closer."

• Member Contributer

HELP NEEDED:

My headers are at Tyga and there are some development questions. Can someone take a picture of their OEM O2 sensors on the bike with a ruler in frame for distance reference and/or clearance measurements? Matt needs this info to ensure the O2 bungs don't interfere. IM me and I'll give you my email to send it. Also, I don't think we have clearance to cross the larger diameter pipes over off the front head to mimic the 6th gen routing due to body work clearance; neither the TBR or Erion crossed their front pipes. If someone with a gen 5.5 OEM pipe and 6th gen OEM pipe could get a pic or measurement of bodywork clearance around the pipe cross over I'd appreciate it. Thanks... Russ

UPDATE: We missed our initial time slot for the exhaust development due to shipping delays so we now have two projects ahead of us in the queue.

Per Matt:

"Right now we’ve missed the slot to get on with this, as I have a couple of KTM RC390 pipes to develop and get into production, and also the new MSX125 GROM needs a new design pipe, so I’ll need to see where we are with those before I can offer a date of when we can get onto this VFR pipe. But at least we have it here now and can start looking at it a bit closer."

If this can wait until tomorrow I have two stock header VFRs (5 & 6 Gens) that I can get measurements and photos of. Kind of tied up today but can make some time tomorrow if need be.

• Member Contributer

HELP NEEDED:

Per Matt:

If this can wait until tomorrow I have two stock header VFRs (5 & 6 Gens) that I can get measurements and photos of. Kind of tied up today but can make some time tomorrow if need be.

Any help is appreciated! I'll IM you my email... Thank you!

• Member Contributer

I am still definitely in Rush. I committed, and heck no am I stepping away after this much work you have expended on getting these done.

Dave

• Member Contributer

Another question: Do the 5th and 6th gens have different exhaust flange mount clock orientation? Will fixed flanges work for all mounts or do we need spinning flanges?

One can hope and pray these headers workout to be the cats meow and have em available before this years riding season is behind us. What's that they say about wine? Takes time for it to be perfect. Has it been discussed what style these could be? Like a spring fitted collector making this a 5 piece put together or?

• Member Contributer

The rear flange stud positions are different between the 5th and 6th Gens.

I found this out when making up my pipes for my 5th Gen and using a 6th Gen engine as master.

• Member Contributer

Rush, I've been following this thread with great interest. Since they Tyga headers have 02 bungs and sounds like they will work with a stock muffler setup (I have Staintune so that should work also) please add me to the list. I def would like to have a set of these to go with my Rapidbike module already on the bike.

Nick

Sounds like from Phil's input it best have spinning flanges if it's to fit both versions. Good Catch Phil, it's all in the know. I'd also think just by looking at the snake under the engine that individual header tube hooking up to a collector would be of a good thing too, if that hasn't been thought of.

• Member Contributer

The rear flange stud positions are different between the 5th and 6th Gens.

I found this out when making up my pipes for my 5th Gen and using a 6th Gen engine as master.

Thanks Phil. I thought I had recalled you mentioning that little tidbit... that's why I asked for confirmation. I appreciate your input and expertise.

HELP NEEDED:

Per Matt:

Duc2V4... I cannot thank you enough for the detailed pictures and clearance measurements of the installed OEM 5th & 6th gen headers. You went over and above and this is a great help!

Sincerely, thank you so much! :cheerleader::beer::fing02::fing02:

Rush, I've been following this thread with great interest. Since they Tyga headers have 02 bungs and sounds like they will work with a stock muffler setup (I have Staintune so that should work also) please add me to the list. I def would like to have a set of these to go with my Rapidbike module already on the bike.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm happy to add you to the growing list. Just for clarity, the final collector discharge will be in the stock location but it will be about the size of the stock collector with the exhaust gasket installed over it. A custom mid-pipe or fabrication work to your existing mid-pipe will be needed for these performance headers.

Why am I not on this list yet? (again?)

lol. the rebuild of the RC46 is happening. the header would be brilliant for it. (but probably later now)

Dude! You told me you would be putting the headers on the back burner for now! You helped send us up this creek... let me know when you want back on the boat!

• Member Contributer

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm happy to add you to the growing list. Just for clarity, the final collector discharge will be in the stock location but it will be about the size of the stock collector with the exhaust gasket installed over it. A custom mid-pipe or fabrication work to your existing mid-pipe will be needed for these performance headers.

Rush, If that is the case then I will probably cancel out. The Staintune works over the stock collector pipe without the gasket and I don't think it would fit using the gasket. Since it's a dual outlet midpipe I really don't want to mess around trying to have another one made up. Thanks again but sorry for cancelling.

NIck

Just take your mid pipe to any competent muffler shop and have them flare out the slip on joint of the staintune mid pipe by a couple millimeters. Any decent shop could do it for a couple dollars. Its not a big deal...

• Member Contributer

Nick

Hi Nick,

Rush, If that is the case then I will probably cancel out. The Staintune works over the stock collector pipe without the gasket and I don't think it would fit using the gasket. Since it's a dual outlet midpipe I really don't want to mess around trying to have another one made up. Thanks again but sorry for cancelling.

NIck

I think you may have this backwards Nick.

The Staintune fits over the stock pipe and gasket.

The diameter of the new header (most likely Tyga) will be the same as the outlet with the gasket. So the pipe will larger and thinner walled with the same (or very very close to) outer diameter so the 'tunes should fit it as well as any other after market silencer.

HUH? Very interesting, there's a gasket? Now maybe this is a 6th gen thing? I too have a Staintune and it slips like perfect over the stock collector pipe, I mean perfect, slips on about 30mms also has a very nice pinch clamp that keeps it put. I thought at first this isn't good, as this had been installed for a while, I didn't install this, it came with the VFR. It took a bit of wiggle a few kind words and a twist and it did work its way off. At first, unlike the bolt flange of the 4th gen where you just undo a couple bolts wa-la its off, no fuss no mess. I thought how odd Honda didn't use this same method on the 5th,. But Staintune has it down perfect, no flange gasket here, I'd hope the TYGA header would match this. To me a gasket or an O ring wouldn't work just causing more headaches, don't over engineer.

Archived