Tyga Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

As with all VFR800's fitted with side radiators, sitting in traffic is always an issue and it only increases during summer which we are now in to in New Zealand.

I also do find that the temp is a little elevated now if I give the bike a hard run but I expect that is what you get with the increase in power as well.

The third rad, with an additional fan, will well and truly fix the issue Rush.

Back on thread, I dropped in to the local Honda agents this morning and took a couple of photos of the Gen 8 radiator layout. See below:

Lower Rad and Guard

post-25941-0-74735500-1451350429.jpg

Upper Rad

post-25941-0-07509100-1451350433.jpg

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It is really quite like the NC30 and RC45.

There is an oil cooler in a similar place to the Gen 6 but with top entry lines from the sides, not from the rear.

Rush

Great job you've done with TYGA. I'm also up for one set of headers. if there's anything about prepaying, let me know.

I'M READY, IF A DEPOSIT CAN SPEED THINGS UP AND INDICATE WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS:-)

SO PUT ME ON THE LIST FOR A SET OF HEADERS 1999 MODEL 5TH GEN, PLEASE...

• Member Contributer

PS: This is for the Tyga Headers only at this time

• Rush2112
  • Rush2112
  • JDMBird
  • CornerCarver
  • CornerCarver
  • jim v
  • Wera803
  • FJ12Ryder
  • MBrane
  • MBrane
  • vfrcapn
  • RoadToed
  • F1Fan
  • dgordon
  • AWP34
  • Beesting
  • Mello Dude
  • jnyquist
  • artpongs
  • Switchblade
  • WackenSS
  • RazorWing
  • Kenn
  • MadScientist
  • HighSideNZ
  • HKSBR
  • sdouble (8th gen)
  • HRCCBR
  • boOZZIE
  • huntinggunns (8th gen)
  • jerritt
  • Madsen
  • VFRRR

From the first ten in the original thread I removed mspence82 because that user doesn't come up any more and aokman hasn't been active on the site for more than 6 months.

EDIT: Highlighted others after the first ten who have also committed to purchase

Add your name ^^^ ...

Thanks, but I have been managing the list in the 1st post...

• Member Contributer

I kicked off my correspondence with Tyga this year:

Hi Paul,

I hope you, Matt, and the rest of the Tyga family had a wonderful holiday season! I'm writing to inquire about our VFR800 header project and if we are approaching a time where we can get this project underway. My original financial commitment is still firm; in fact, we could expand that initial order if that is agreeable with you.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you and I look forward to working on this project together.

Hi Russ

Many thanks and happy new year to you too. I had a great time riding a CRF250L in Laos. Hope yours was good too.

Anyway, glad to hear you are confirmed on the exhaust project and we are looking forward to doing it too. We should be ready to move on this project soon. We have a few jobs to clear so we have a slot for the bender etc but we hope to have that out the way by the end of the month. I’ll leave Matt to discuss with you what he needs in order to make the exhausts and we can take it from there.

Best regards

Paul

Looks like we will be moving forward around the end of this month. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Who is providing the bike for fitment again???

I don't wanna read back to find out,,,,,,

Originally it was Snowy... he made his 6th Gen bike available and was not accomodated. Things dragged along and ... well, I need to talk to him again but first I want a somewhat firm time frame from Tyga for Snowy to see if it is convenient for him.

A while back Tyga said they would get a bike for making the jig... I need to make sure we start with a 6th gen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mspence82 not available eh?

long story short, I hit a dog at about 45, and the VFR is sitting disabled waiting on a parts gathering this spring.

that said, I might well be game to get a header to complete the rebuild. we will see.

• Member Contributer

mspence82 not available eh?

Why? Does mspence82 live near Chonburi, Thailand? That user name doesn't come up anymore.

• Member Contributer

I was the first guy to contact tyga! that's who I am! lol

good thing rush stayed with it though. :D

Dude, I didn't know you had an alter-ego...

Sorry man, I didn't mean to drop you from the list... you made the big find that led to the final breakthrough!!!

Thank you! :fing02::beer:

• Member Contributer

I added you to the list. Do you own an 8th gen... it's not listed in your garage. Most likely the 8th gen version will only have the different bends in the front primary pipes; everything else will be the same as the 5/6 gen version w/ 2 O2 bungs. You will need to run hardware to adjust your full mixture with these performance headers or the bike will likely stumble and not run well. If you want an additional single O2 bung further downstream you will need to have that welded on. Depending on which fuel management system you choose to use you probably will not need it.

I have a meeting with Matt this week to discuss technical details for the project.

• Member Contributer

Update: I've been in correspondence with Tyga for the past week. In a nutshell Tyga is recommending stainless steel headers with 1 mm tubing walls; this will help to reduce weight. Joints secured with springs (as pictured on the NC35 race headers on their website) primarily to aid in fitment and this will also help reduce shipping due to less packaging bulk.

Something like this but with a stock VFR800 discharge location:

exps-0002-d2b15652.jpg

Tyga 's current machine tooling will allow headers with 35 mm tubing primaries, 42.7mm secondaries, and 50.8mm final collector... this works out to 33 mm ID primaries, 40.7mm ID secondaries, and 48.8mm collectors against our requested:

Stock RC45 exhaust headers.

Primaries (ID) = 35 mm

Secondaries (ID) = 39 mm

Final Collector (ID) = 49 mm

As you can see, the collector is very close in size, the secondaries will be +1.7mm larger and primaries -2mm smaller than the RC45 which Matt pointed out will give a stronger mid-range.

This 33 mm ID size is about 4mm larger ID when compared to the OEM 6th gen diameter (29mm ???) and 1 mm over the 98 - 99 OEM headers (32mm). Both of the OEM headers have about an additional 3mm obstruction at the exhaust flange mount due to the horrible welds at one of the worst places; the Tyga headers won't have this issue. The increase in cross sectional area below:

Primary Cross Section Area mm2 Increase

6th 29 660.5 29.49%

5th 32 804.2 6.35%

Tyga 33 855.3

I've asked Matt what is needed to be capable of increasing the primaries to 35 mm ID? I'll share that info when I receive it.

Response requested: Out of the people who have committed to purchase (see post #1), who would not purchase if these are the final dimensions (33mm/40.7mm/48.8 mm) of the Tyga headers? I need to know who is out and who is still in if we are unable to get Tyga to make the tooling change.

• Member Contributer

As much as I love love love their work and know the headers will be beautiful the 6% increase over 5G flow puts me on the fence.

I have to decide how much the spring connectors and a pretty new stainless exhaust mean to me as 5G owner.

Any way to analyze potential performance without building a demo set and dyno'ing them?

Archived