Leaving Bike Out In The Rain

VFRfix

Is it safe to leave a 1999 vfr800 out in the rain? I just bought this and haven't purchased a cover yet. Might rain tonight... I just really have no idea how "water proof" they are...

Thanks

• Member Contributer

My first VFR was made of sugar, it melted while I was riding down the freeway. Then burst into flames.

You should be fine man. The worst part of storms is usually the wind, can knock down a bike or knock stuff onto it. The other thing that sucks is if your seat has a tear in it and the foam never dries out. It makes squishy noises and can get moldy.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't do it too many days in a row, but overnight in a light rain shouldn't hurt it.

• Member Contributer

You will be fine.

even better, go for a spin and get a feeling of how she handles in the wet.

• Member Contributer

I've had bikes sit outside uncovered for a long time. Don't really know how many days it rained consecutively, but they were also used regularly in the rain so they weren't just sitting there either.

• Member Contributer

Should be avoided if possible. Use a proper cover if you don't have a shed or garage. Wet metal has a habit of corroding.

That said, the bike is fully waterproof, it will survive well if not salty as well as wet. I have ridden through some horrific rain with no bike problems, I on the other hand even with good quality waterproofs got soaked !

• Member Contributer

I've never had a problem with rain yet. It gets dirty I guess, and the wet seat can be annoying. I got asked similar question about my baja bug too, but if you can operate it in the rain, it'll be fine to sit in the rain.

A cover might be worthwhile if you're concerned about protecting your investment value maybe?

Had a bike in Washington for a long time that lived outside. It got rained on a lot.

• Member Contributer

The advce here is good: 1. cover it if you can, and 2. don't sweat it if you can't.

I rode my VFR through a heavy rainstorm, and I experienced no problems.

• Member Contributer

As mentioned, wind can be a probllem. I would actually consider removing the cover if strong winds are expected. The cover can act like a sail and the wind could blow the bike over.

• Member Contributer

It's a vehicle and as such will hold up fine in the rain. Over long period la of time it will rust more than if garaged but those ain't garage queens, are they.

C

• Member Contributer

Since my seat has a leather cover, which can rot over time, I popped for a cover. Good investment. But I've ridden through the rain several times, my bike was fine. In fact, I regularly take it to a spray arm car wash to clean it.

I never left mine out in the elements, but I have ridden through torrential downpours. Bike was fine.If it is a long period of time, then you will need to check the electrical connectors.

if you leave it out in the rain it will begin to look like this, and nobody wants that.

WP_20150408_0011_zpsva0analn.jpg

Snow won't hurt, either. Ask me how I know.

NYC, 2011:

what kind of monster doesnt put his bike away for winter?

10882382_10205792791118716_8738366092940

• Member Contributer

I would just add that the cover should be breathable. I consistently buy the cheapest ones I can get. They are thin and get wet and dry fast after the rain stops. Waterproof is bad. It condensates and traps evaporated water under the cover, eventually rusting worse then if left uncovered to breath. Tarps are the worste you can do over longer periods of time.

• Member Contributer

Long term outside uncovered is one thing. However, situationally, some peeps take off for weeks or months touring in all weather. If you like to camp, the machine stays out in the rain. I believe Olive spent a couple months out in the rain and snow on her VFR trips. These machines are made for that. And if you've kept it off the ground and out of the sand, a bucket wash and Original Polish will have her/him looking factory fresh.

My 100,000 + '01 still worked fine after weeks in the worst weather; snow, dust, rain, and thunder storms, you name it. OEM r/r and stator lasted 80,000+ mi.

Don't worry.

Be happy.

Interesting point about the wind. I commute on my 1200 and I've just been transferred to a new facility. The wind really whips through the parking lot. Even better yet, it never seems to come from the same direction 2 days in a row.

How windy does it need to be to knock a bike off the side stand? If I came out after work and found my bike on its side, or worse yet, another bike knocked over into mine, I'll have a complete meltdown... And nobody wants that.

It's a new facility that had its 'grand opening' in October, so the MC parking lot isn't proven to be in an optimal location.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

• Member Contributer

I've ridden my 5G in the rain 14 times without any problems so far. Those 14 wet rides we call "winter" around here.

• Member Contributer

Is it safe to leave a 1999 vfr800 out in the rain?

No... the only bike that is safe to leave out in the rain is a Harley... because sh*t don't rust...

Examples of corrosion... mainly due to riding in the rain or hitting

your prize with a garden hose... both acts promotes corrosion in all

the little nooks and crannies hidden from view... The pitfull is that

metal is etched for life...

gallery_3131_51_80031.jpg

gallery_3131_51_44321.jpg

gallery_3131_51_11731.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oh come on!

I know "it never rains in California"

but it does so in the rest of the world....

as does frost under a full moon.... :goofy:

clearmoon_zpsa3875ca6.jpg

sure, donot pressure wash your bikes, but for the rest?

Game on!!!

HPIM2529.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just really have no idea how "water proof" they are...

Tell that kid to get his finger back in the Dyke & stop playing with himself :) Look at the mess he made !

• Member Contributer

I just really have no idea how "water proof" they are...

Tell that kid to get his finger back in the Dyke & stop playing with himself :) Look at the mess he made !

HA! +1

Archived