Leaving Bike Out In The Rain

VFRfix

Is it safe to leave a 1999 vfr800 out in the rain? I just bought this and haven't purchased a cover yet. Might rain tonight... I just really have no idea how "water proof" they are...

Thanks

You have a 16 year old bike: leaving it out in the rain again and again, it's your choice on how well to become acquainted with the electrical parts of the manuals?

Myself, I suck at electrical diagnosis so I take good care of my bikes; a roof and battery tenders.

They are water resistant, but not water proof. :wink:

Metals generally don't like water on them all the time.

Possibly worse is the effects of sitting in the sun a lot. :wacko:

I park in the garage at home, it preserves the bike better than sitting outside.

A cover is second best, but if you have nothing else, I'd do that.

My truck sits outside under a tree, and the paint is kind of afu.

Should have kept a cover on for the tree crap and bird sap. :huh:

• Member Contributer

You have a 16 year old bike: leaving it out in the rain again and again, it's your choice on how well to become acquainted with the electrical parts of the manuals?

Myself, I suck at electrical diagnosis so I take good care of my bikes; a roof and battery tenders.

Meh. The electric bits are mostly situated where rainfall shouldn't bother them any more than the moisture that's in the air. But hey, if you have an air conditioned garage, lucky you.

In the end without a garage you're screwed no matter what. If you use a cover, it'll help keep the sun from bleaching the finish but the wind whipping it around will eventually rub away the paint at all the points where the cover contacts the plastic and it still won't help keep out airborne moisture.

To the OP, the bike will hold up to rain and moisture MUCH better if you keep it clean and waxed/treated.

• Member Contributer

Is it safe to leave a 1999 vfr800 out in the rain? I just bought this and haven't purchased a cover yet. Might rain tonight... I just really have no idea how "water proof" they are...

Thanks

Hey VFRfix, what is your situation for the longer term? Are you concerned for weeks, month, or longer? Is it possible to rent someplace to keep you bike if you know you won't be useing it for a while? Faded paint can be polished. And it is not necessary to keep the machine in museum condition. It will look like you use it often. Which I think is good. My VFR had to sit in my back yard while my garage was restored (3 - 4 months) and it was no worse for wear.

• Member Contributer

If my bike sat out for long periods, I would occasionally use some contact cleaner on the switches and maybe ignition to be sure they're good to go.

• Member Contributer

I used a cover on my 4th gen in college. Mostly because the cover would keep passing drunks from sitting on it. Off during the day, on at night. Park next to something in case it gets tipped over on the non-kickstand side. Oil the chain regularly.

• Member Contributer

My bikes lived outside uncovered for a year, well through the riding season anyway. The following year I put a tarp over them. Cheap but the wind blowing caused the tarp to rub through the paint in a couple of spots on the tail section. Wasn't happy with that so I bought a Motoshell for the VFR while the CBR stayed under a tarp. Worked well enough but the shell ripped in a couple of spots over winter and only lasted two years. But then we bought a house with not one, but two garages! So now they are once again dry and warm, shielded from the elements.

Any bike should be ok standing in the rain, remember, we all rode through the rain at one point of another.

One note though, i was once riding back from work and it was pouring stupid amount of rain (short commute, i dont have a car) and my engine temperature reading on the LCD screen was playing out like crazy, was 75°C, then went down to 50°C, then numbers disappeared (--°C), then 60°C, then back 50-ish by the time i got home, but next morning, it was normal and this neer occured again

I had a GS1000 blow over onto my VFR. There was a row of about 10 bikes with the GS at the end and copping the wind. They got tangled and did not both fall over. Both bikes were leaning to the right and my first thought was 'why do all those other bikes have their side stands on the other side to my bike and the GS?'

When I got closer I realised what had happened. Needed to get a passer by to help me unlock the bikes without them collapsing onto the others in the line like dominos! Scratch in screen on VFR but could have been worse.

So the wind is still howling a gale and I can't decide what to do with the GS. Steering lock is on so can't turn it around to make it lean away from wind on side stand.... so leave it leaning into wind. As I start to ride off another almighty gust picks up the GS and throws it on its side! I feel bad, but not sure what else I could do.

Team Bongo President

• Member Contributer

When I park my bike in windy conditions I make it a point to point it into the wind. If I can't I find a different place to park. YMMV

I've ridden 2up in a downpour and the only thing that needed attention was the color of my underwear. Bike didn't miss a beat. Still hasn't.

That being said, I keep her garaged when I am not on a trip or out riding.

YMMV

-PRB

Archived