Would You Buy A 4Th Generation

with 70k on it with no mid or lower fairings if you were not the one that put the miles on it? We're talking for right around a grand, running bike, new chain, sprockets, oil, filter, air filter, plugs etc. ??

• Member Contributer

Heck yea. I had one for TEN YEARS and the only trouble was one bad R/R. Gas, oil, ride, gas, oil, ride. Never a hiccup.

• Member Contributer

I would pick it up in a heartbeat!! I just turned 100k on my '94. You can always find fairings to replace the missing mid/lowers ( in fact I have 4 pairs of mids in various condition and 1 airtec one piece mid/lowers) Good luck!! you will not regret it!!

lol, you guys kill me in a great way. This guy has had this bike for sale forever and has come down from 1800 to 1200 locally. I'm sorely tempted to offer him 1000 for it. I've had very good luck with finding 4th gens...I found one with 22k on it that needed the right mid and upper for 1400 and another for 1200. So, I was figuring, I'd be riding this thing all over, who cares about the mileage? All the work is done...needs a few little things, but nothing major, truly. Just has that 1/2 street fighter look to it that I don't like, but I can find the lower fairings everywhere, just have to hunt and peck the mids. I'll update you guys with how it goes. I think a grand for a bike that has 70k on it that has been for sale for 6 months is fair...IDK how much life is in the tires though. This would be 'my car is at the shop' and or 'sunny day' 2nd vehicle.

• Member Contributer

I'm actually wanting something like that for my wife. I know there's a member selling a high mileage 5th gen locally, but I can't save the cash for another month or two. I'd like to get my wife one and slowly bring it 'up to par'.

• Member Contributer

For a grand, we (and by we, I mean I marked them and showed them to dad, and someone who wasn't me had the itchy bidding finger) bought TWO 4th gens, clear titles. One was loved until the end, the other wasn't so much.

Chain and sprockets are $200 if they really are brand new. If the rest of the bike looks to be in top shape, I would do no more than a grand. Maybe $1100 if the tires have a couple thou left in them and they are good tires.

1200, even 1000 is too much for that kind of mileage. I might do closer to 1k if the entire bike is really superb and well taken care of.

Start around 7 and gauge the seller's reaction. Keep in mind Honda made a lot of these. If you don't get this one, another one WILL come along.

^^yeah, I'm having a h3ll of a time finding one close. I did just find a fifth gen (at a dealer mind you) with a tbr s.o. decent tires, rh side fairing broken (otherwise ok) with 30k on it for 2k out the door...LOOKS good in the pics, but you know how that goes. Considering offering 1700 out the door on the 5th. It's heartbreaking to see what happens to some of the fourth gens which is my fav bike.

• Member Contributer

I'm with Seb on this. Too much money for a bike with that mileage. It's at that age where decent plastics make the bike more valuable. I wouldn't pay $1k for it with missing plastics and tires in need of replacement. On the brighter side, the 4th gen is a solid bike, and if properly maintained, 70k on the odometer is nothing.

dealer won't take less than 2k on the 5th gen with broken fairing...all else is good on it though...I know this isn't a fifth gen sub forum, but what are your thoughts? that's 2k out the door.

• Member Contributer

If I had the money I would love a cheap run down 4th Gen that I could use as a track bike while keeping the 5th Gen safe from harm as my commuter

I bought my 5 Gen for that very same reason, I didn't want to potentially "take out" my commuter while "playing" on the canyon roads. I still use it for touring and scenic rides with the wife, but now it's either the 5 Gen or the Duc when playing fun like. It seems there has been a resurgence of 5 Gens popping up over here, not too many 4 Gens though. Hell for $1k, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, of course I'd have to give up one of my other rides...or get a divorce! (not by choice) :wink:

• Member Contributer

Heck yea. I had one for TEN YEARS and the only trouble was one bad R/R. Gas, oil, ride, gas, oil, ride. Never a hiccup.

+1 - Did the same on my old 4th gen.

• Member Contributer

Since this is a 'sunny day second bike' and not for track or some special purpose, I would be leaning towards the 5th gen. You still get the gear whine this way, and it's a complete bike.

Archived