Throttle Locks - Good, Bad, Ugly

Guest a2db

So, I want to install a throttle lock, but I'm a little unsure of what to get. There's the NEP for $20, the Throttlemeister for $130, and some other options in between.

If you have one, tell us what brand, and what you like and/or dislike about it. If you've tried multiple options, give us the comparison.

Ready... FIGHT! :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I want to install a throttle lock, but I'm a little unsure of what to get. There's the NEP for $20, the Throttlemeister for $130, and some other options in between.

If you have one, tell us what brand, and what you like and/or dislike about it. If you've tried multiple options, give us the comparison.

I have had them all. The NEP works the best. Even better if you take a saw, file and sand paper and cut the control lever by at least 1/2.

• Member Contributer

I've got the NEP too...works fine and if you get the "Yamaha" version there's no need to mod at all :idea3:

I have one, came with the bike. I have no idea what brand it is. It can be locked and unlocked with my thumb and is adjusted with a metal "key" i have on the key ring. It works good and is nice for highway time. Looks exactly like this:

vistacruise.jpg

Throttlemeister. Works great. Ads bar-end weights, which lessen vibration somewhat, though vibes were never really a problemo.

• Member Contributer

I've had two throttlemeisters, one for my 94 one for my 2006.

I can't speak for the other methods, but the TM works great, looks OEM+ and most of the time, you can save your old bar ends for re-installation when moving the weights to a new Honda bike (though check for fitment via the TM site)

My cost 155, shipped I think. They install in about 1 hour if your careful and take your time.

EDIT: if you have certain types of bars/grips that are not OEM, check the site or call them for fitment

• Member Contributer

I have the cheapie plastic one for the VFR, works great. I have the throttlemeister on my VTX, it's great for that bike, looks stock, but it will not work with the heated grips on the VFR

• Member Contributer

Never tried the plastic type, can't comment. Throttle rocker works ok. Some say an o-ring works well too (probably costing only a few cents).

I went with the TM. Very happy. :thumbsup:

gallery_2925_490_173942.jpg

100_1083.JPG

modded vista Cruise. Just a personal preference. Same as the pics above. Works good, but you gotta put a little work into it.

Vista Cruise for me too. About the same price as a NEP, just depends where you are ordering other stuff from at the time.

• Member Contributer

I have the throttlemeister and it works great. I have no hesitation using it at highway speeds. It makes long trips more comfortable. And I WANTED the bar end look.

Has anyone ever tried these???

Yellow CAT O-Ring 8M4991

or http://home.wanadoo.nl/jmharthoorn/bits&am...ces/benring.htm

just curious..

Could even help a few of the guys who complain about choppy throttle response.. smile.gif

Some Vixers have the wish of mounting a simple device, acting as a kind of cruise-controle. It's major function is not to "cruise" but to have the opportunity to give the right hand some rest once and a while without having to stop driving. Below you'll find some pictures of the way things are done, together with some comments.

Some quotes from http://www.egroups.com/group/eu_vx800/

BEN: Rene and myself have installed an o-ring on the front side of the handle.

It is placed behind the first rim of the handle that goes inside the housing of the run/light switches. Works great. You can't release the ring but it has enough slack to comfortably move the throttle. And it remains in the position where you put it. Ours has a diameter of 25mm and is 3mm thick.

I also gave one to Ko and Wim. I haven't heard their experience yet.

If you give me the diameter you need i can send you one also to try it.

It cost me 0,37 euro. (No charge for you smile.gif

WIM: I installed the "The Ben" ring yesterday but had to take it off again. The

diameter was OK but the ring itself (3mm) was still to thick causing my

throttle to be immovable. So Ben you were right in the sense that the "gap"

between the Throttle grip and the switch/cable house does vary per VX. A

local friend of mine is a Caterpillar dealer and he suggested to bring the

VX and try another ring. He said there are plenty of different sizes

available! I will keep you updated.

I also tried to use a ring on the bar-end to block the throttle-grip while

riding by moving it the left so it "slots" into the groove between the

bar-end and the rubber grip. But it is very difficult (especially wearing

gloves) to remove it back to the bar-end again.

And Aquatone about the Caterpilar alternative: I got one, CAT part # 5H7370. It cost 1.80 UKP + 17.5% VAT.

The yellow version is CAT part # 8M4991 and costs 2.40 UKP + VAT. At 8 quid, someone is trying to rip-off Bandit bloke big time.

He should go to www.cat.com and find his local Caterpillar spares dealer (in the UK it is Finnings).

The pictures:

There are only three things to unscrew:

the bar-end weight and the two screws at the bottom of the black box containing the right-hand switches.

The whole operation takes about 15 minutes....

Method A Method B

The throttle, without the Ben-ring.... Same, but with the ring in the position for method A, the ring will after mounting be inside the switch-box. Here the ring is in the position for method B, the ring will after mounting be outside the switch-box, between the switch-box and the rim on the throttle.

I got the 3mm ring, which proved to be to thick for both methods. So at the moment I'm still driving without the famous Ben-Ring.

NEP and Vista Cruise units are cheap plasticky affairs that looks....cheap on the bike. But they do work OK generally, as long as they are adjusted correctly. The Vista Cruise metal versions look better than the NEPs because of their metal construction, but they seem to be a little clunky because of their size. I'm not too sure either if the metal version is offered for the VFRs. Throttlemeisters seem to be overpriced for what they are, but they do look much better than the two on the bike and are invisible if you get a black version (I think black models are available). Haven't bothered installing one on my bike since I lost my plastic model Vista Cruise unit on the road a few years ago because of engine and road vibration loosening up the adjustment screw, letting it fall off. I still remember feeling it hit my thigh and falling on to southbound Hwy. 280 that one glorious summer riding smile.gif day.

Beck

95 VFR

• 2 weeks later...

I used the O-ring as a throttle lock for months but my throttle always slowly moved back on it's own decreasing my speed. Then I discovered a much better method....and safer too.

I had bought a Universal (rubber) throttle boss and while riding one day I slid it down the grip until it went partway out over the bar end..... It held my throttle right where I left it, but still left the throttle very easy to adjust. The universal throttle boss is just a piece of rubber that stretches around your grip, so it will grab on to and hold the bar end as well as the grip holding your throttle in place.

Here's a link to the Universal throttle boss.

http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesOther.htm#ThrottleBoss

I'ts the cheapest version of a throttlemeister I've found. And you can instal it and take it off in about 10 seconds witout any tools.

It really works great!

• Member Contributer
I have one, came with the bike. I have no idea what brand it is. It can be locked and unlocked with my thumb and is adjusted with a metal "key" i have on the key ring. It works good and is nice for highway time. Looks exactly like this:

vistacruise.jpg

Vista cruise. I have the same one. I don't like riding distance without one.

I didnt buy mine from this site but here is a link to one you can buy.

PlAcE tO BuY A vIsTa CrUiSe

• Member Contributer

NEP

Pros: Cheapest (except for the o-ring solution) , works great

Cons: Thumb lever is above the bar in an unnatural position

Vista Cruise

Pros: Almost as cheap as NEP, Thumb lever in natural position slightly below mid level on bar, looks better than NEP (IMHO), works great

Cons: Lever is just above the starter button so it takes 1/2 second to hit the starter sometimes....If you stall at an intersection you might not be able to fool people that you really didn't kill the engine. You will need to grind a little bit of the thumb lever off to keep it from hitting the tank. Takes only a minute with the belt sander. (I have the Vista Cruise)

Throttlemeister

Pros: Looks "stock"

Cons: Really expensive, takes some practice to lock in without moving the throttle but it gets easy pretty quick

O-Ring

Pros: Super cheap

Cons: Never tried it so I have no clue

• Member Contributer

VistaCruise. Fiddly, until you figure out the best way to mount and adjust them (the grip has to be moved outboard slightly, and the ridge on the throttle tube removed--which may require spacing the bar end weight out as well with M6 penny washers). I used to use the same one on several different bikes, as it is fairly easy to remove and replace. I also cut down the plastic lever a bit because it would otherwise hit the tank on my FP. I've used throttle locks for years and years and thousands of miles and the simple little VistaCruise just does the job.

I "upgraded" to a Throttlemeister on my ST1300 and never use it. Maybe I've never understood the counter-twisting action, but it seems to me that hitting the little plastic lever with my thumb is soooo much easier--on and off. (T'meister looks good, though.)

Maybe if VistaCruise made an anodized alloy version it would be more popular?

Ciao,

I have both the Throttle Boss, and the Vista Cruise (pictured numerous times above). I never thought of sliding the Throttle Boss over the bar end to work double duty....maybe I will try that.

I use the Throttle Boss all the time, the Vista Cruise I use on long trips and sometimes when going down a 30 MPH road that I know is well patrolled.

• Member Contributer

Ive got NEP on my VFR and my RC51, and work perfectly on each. Yes, they're cheap and plasticky, but for as seldom as I use it, its fine on both bikes. I like the adjustability too on the NEP, dont remember if the Vista has that. My buddy has had the TM on both his bikes, and while it works well, I wasnt willing to pay the extra $100 over the cheapo ones to basically accomplish the same thing. Basically, all of them do the job of locking the throttle as well as each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the TM and it is a good quality piece of equipment. However, as stated above, it is expensive. One plus is that the bar-ends are heavier than stock and help dampen any vibrations that you may have. Most people don't have a problem with vibrations, so ymmv.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, so my kids got the Vista Cruz for me for Christmas. Any helpful hints on installing? In the picture it looks like there was no need to actually cut the grip. In the instructions it says to trip the grip for better fit.

Archived