Throttle Locks - Good, Bad, Ugly

Guest a2db

• Member Contributer

Assuming you've got the right model for your bike, the key to a good installation is to make room for the Vista Cruise laterally on the bar--it comes with a plastic disc that's supposed to keep it from interfering with the grip, but it is much better to move the grip so that this can't become an issue. YMMV, but I could never get mine adjusted properly w/o moving the grip outboard a little bit. Then, you may have an issue with the grip contacting the bar-end, so, as I mentioned above, M6 penny washers (yes, that is a technical term...) can be used to space the bar end out a few mm. In essence, the throttle should always be free to "snap" back to position 0 with the VC mounted--if not, you have a potentially dangerous install. If you find that there is a ridge on the throttle tube (which fits into a groove on the OEM grips) on your bike, this may be in an inconvenient place for use with the VC. I simply remove said ridge with an X-acto knife, smooth it down and go from there. (I expect that the ridge is there to prevent the grip from contacting the switchpod.) Adjusting the VC shouldn't be a problem if the interference issues are dealt with.

Ciao,

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So here I sit at the "throttle lock" crossroads, and I'm reading all the various opinions on the options out there. Cost isn't a concern - I've got a bit of scratch left over from what I had saved up to put new tires on...so I'm thinking throttlemeister. The opinions that worry me most about the TM are:

1) Tricky to install / finicky to get adjusted right. I'm a mechanical asshat, and that, combined with the fact that I can be a bit of an obsessive perfectionist has me worried that I'm going to be fussing with the TM all the time.

2) Tricky to use. This one concerns me less so - I can module throttle while keeping the brake lever covered, so I think I have the dexterity to do the TM adjustment. Here's a stupid question - can't you reach over with your left hand and adjust the TM? On my 3rd Gen, if I want to adjust my right mirror on the move I have to lean way up and reach across the bike with my left hand, and I've gotten comfortable with that...surely it's an easier reach to the right bar end?

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I have the Vista Cruise but it will click off at times when you done expect it, ok for short throttle locks to change music. I scored on some bent gen 3 bars on ebay for 15.00 and noticed they had the Throttle Misters on them....I guess the seller was unaware of what he had so now I have both which works great. Vista to lock it till I twist the TM !

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming you've got the right model for your bike, the key to a good installation is to make room for the Vista Cruise laterally on the bar--it comes with a plastic disc that's supposed to keep it from interfering with the grip, but it is much better to move the grip so that this can't become an issue. YMMV, but I could never get mine adjusted properly w/o moving the grip outboard a little bit. Then, you may have an issue with the grip contacting the bar-end, so, as I mentioned above, M6 penny washers (yes, that is a technical term...) can be used to space the bar end out a few mm. In essence, the throttle should always be free to "snap" back to position 0 with the VC mounted--if not, you have a potentially dangerous install. If you find that there is a ridge on the throttle tube (which fits into a groove on the OEM grips) on your bike, this may be in an inconvenient place for use with the VC. I simply remove said ridge with an X-acto knife, smooth it down and go from there. (I expect that the ridge is there to prevent the grip from contacting the switchpod.) Adjusting the VC shouldn't be a problem if the interference issues are dealt with.

Ciao,

:ph34r: Good advice.I did exactly what you said and it's on. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

One of those Vista Cruise ones came on my bike when I bought it. Took it off, I don't like how the thumb lever hits the tank when the handlebars are all the way to the right, and besides I'll never use a cruise control.

I am jealous my dad's Royal Star Tour Deluxe has built in electronic cruise control. I just worry something like that would put me to sleep.

- Patrick

One of those Vista Cruise ones came on my bike when I bought it. Took it off, I don't like how the thumb lever hits the tank when the handlebars are all the way to the right, and besides I'll never use a cruise control.

I am jealous my dad's Royal Star Tour Deluxe has built in electronic cruise control. I just worry something like that would put me to sleep.

- Patrick

I took mine off too. It chipped the tank. I grinded it as much as I could.It's junk.There's got to be a better way.

-Mike

So, I want to install a throttle lock, but I'm a little unsure of what to get. There's the NEP for $20, the Throttlemeister for $130, and some other options in between.

If you have one, tell us what brand, and what you like and/or dislike about it. If you've tried multiple options, give us the comparison.

Ready... FIGHT! :D

I have an 06 VFR800A and the NEP would not fit at all without major mods. I went with the Vista Cruise, but still i needed to file it down becuase it was too thick. It works nicely now. Has anyone else had this much trouble installing these trottle locks?

• Member Contributer
I have an 06 VFR800A and the NEP would not fit at all without major mods. I went with the Vista Cruise, but still i needed to file it down becuase it was too thick. It works nicely now. Has anyone else had this much trouble installing these trottle locks?

Did you get the correct NEP model? Has the 06 and above changed throttle housings (don't think so but....)?

• Member Contributer

- Patrick

It must've been mounted incorrectly if the thumb lock hits the tank. And a throttle lock cruise control is good because it's not a full electronic cruise control, you can't set it and forget it and ride without throttle for hours at a time, it provides a good pause, but doesn't lull one to sleep.

As for the Vista cruise, there isn't much room between the starter switch housing and the grip, so anything in there the grip will tend to grab on will make the throttle a little sticky, I just cut down the grip a little bit, problem solved.

Had the Throttlemeister on my last '98.

Went for the Vista Cruise on the current '98. Didn't like the way it looked (compared to the TM).

Popped for another Throttlemeister set (heavy, polished), and love it as much as I loved my last set.

The weight really does help with vibrations.

FOR SALE: I have a brand new, never been installed Vista Cruise for sale:

cruise_vc.jpg

Vista Cruise Cruise Control (nylon throttle lock)

Model # MCVICO – "Fits many Honda motorcycle with 7/8” handlebars"

New in box, never installed (purchased, decided to install the highly overpriced ThrottleMeister instead).

Fit chart on mfg web site here: http://www.soundoffrec.com

$23 gets it shipped to your door via USPS, Paypal accepted/preferred.

PM if interested.

Did you get the correct NEP model? Has the 06 and above changed throttle housings (don't think so but....)?

I had the one recommended for a honda dual throttle cable. There is a ridge on the throttle bar when u pull the grip back that does not allow enough space on the inside and on the outside of the ridge, it is too far away from the housing.

• Member Contributer

...which is why you need to get out your X-acto... :biggrin:

I don't think I had any problems with the OEM switch pod, but when I fitted the ST1100 Police switch to my 3rd-gen I had to cut down the VC knob or it would hit the tank. (The photo below was taken before I did that.)

PA170009x.jpg

Ciao,

I had a Vista Cruise on my Honda Hawk and loved it ver much with its nice clean looks and very easy operation..........till it decided to bail one day from my bike on HWY 280 just south of SF. The twin's vibration must have been the culprit. Bought another one when I got my 4th gen but it seem to not fit too well betweem the throttle grip anh switch housing, plus it would have required some cutting to work properly.......thus it sits in my junk drawer for about 12 years now........Just too lazy to deal with it, plus it will most like cause some clearance issues with my tank with my lower, narrower positioned VTR1000 bars.

Look!. No VC!!:

gallery_285_20_390561.jpg

Switch.jpg Here's my OEM Style Grip heater switch install I did to my 4th gen<br /><br />Beck 95 VFR

Beck

95 VFR

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thread resurrection.....

Bought the VC throttle lock and had the same problem others had here with it being too tight to allow free movement. The NEP seems to be the preferred unit but the VC is all the dealer had. So do I move the grip out a bit and trim the ridge on the throttle tube? Seems like more work than what should be required. If I get the NEP does it require any mods to work on a stock 95?

• Member Contributer

Have a vista cruise on three VFR's the last 10 years. I now have a Kaoko throttle lock. I really like it...netter than the VC. Operates similar to the TM.

Www.Kaoko.com

Vfr specific:

post-3896-0-36997700-1378335010.jpg

• Member Contributer

I used to have a thread with pics on how to modify the Vista Cruise for perfect fit on the VFR. The thread is gone now, but somehow the pics are still in my gallery.

• Member Contributer

Haven't heard about the Kaoko before but a few knocks against it for me....

1. 95 VFR model not listed

2. Possibly high shipping from South Africa. FYI, 682 rand ~= $66CDN for the unit itself.

3. I like to grip the bars down by the bar end so the Kaoko would be in the way.

Meanwhile I've been looking for the NEP online and can't find one at any of my usual Canadian sites. And when I broaden my search to the US, I have only found it at Aerostich.It's $22 + $10 shipping, which will be about the $35CDN (including taxes) I paid at dealer. Anybody have any other online suggestions, preferably Canadian?

• Member Contributer

I used to have a thread with pics on how to modify the Vista Cruise for perfect fit on the VFR. The thread is gone now, but somehow the pics are still in my gallery.

Pretty sure that was on a stone tablet Tim :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Haven't heard about the Kaoko before but a few knocks against it for me....

1. 95 VFR model not listed

2. Possibly high shipping from South Africa. FYI, 682 rand ~= $66CDN for the unit itself.

3. I like to grip the bars down by the bar end so the Kaoko would be in the way.

Meanwhile I've been looking for the NEP online and can't find one at any of my usual Canadian sites. And when I broaden my search to the US, I have only found it at Aerostich.It's $22 + $10 shipping, which will be about the $35CDN (including taxes) I paid at dealer. Anybody have any other online suggestions, preferably Canadian?

Keep an eye out on eBay. There's a Canadian one on there now, but it's darn near $50 C after shipping. I'm sure one will turn up cheaper than that. Since they are all over the USA for about $20, you need to find a buddy in Montana or Washington St. to order one for you. Ride down and visit him. Ride back with a cheap throttle lock. :cool:

Pretty sure that was on a stone tablet Tim :goofy:

Yep. I think you are the only guy that knew how to read my hieroglyphics. :happy:

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/4811-vista-2jpg/

Okay, I see what you did there. You thinned out around the inside of the flange and cut the tip off of the lever. I suppose that is easier than removing the grip and shaving off the flange. Given the difficulty finding the NEP I may just give it a shot. Did you use a Dremel for that?

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/4811-vista-2jpg/

Okay, I see what you did there. You thinned out around the inside of the flange and cut the tip off of the lever. I suppose that is easier than removing the grip and shaving off the flange. Given the difficulty finding the NEP I may just give it a shot. Did you use a Dremel for that?

Yes, I used a Dremel. I thought it would be better to grind on a cheap Vista Cruise than to modify the throttle tube.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a BrakeAway throttle lock on my VFR1200.

It's a nice unit that releases the throttle if the front brake is pulled (oh sh!t moments). It's expensive and takes a little modification to work with the VFR1200, but it's one less thing to think about if you have to do any emergency maneuvers.

IMG_20130723_215930_zpsd6e710c5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's my gen 6 with the omni-cruise on. No clearance issues at full lock in either direction. My wife has a modified Vista cruise on her gen 5, but I wanted something that was easily removed.

9793024046_f38ec9cb9e_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's my gen 6 with the omni-cruise on. No clearance issues at full lock in either direction. My wife has a modified Vista cruise on her gen 5, but I wanted something that was easily removed.

Posted Image

How you liking the omni cruise? Took me a little experimenting with the tension but once set, it holds great.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I've got a BrakeAway throttle lock on my VFR1200.

It's a nice unit that releases the throttle if the front brake is pulled (oh sh!t moments). It's expensive and takes a little modification to work with the VFR1200, but it's one less thing to think about if you have to do any emergency maneuvers.

The cheap Vista Cruise, NEP, and most others are easily and instantly overridden during those moments. I've ridden the bike with the lock engaged in congested traffic and not even realized it for a few minutes. Of course, they aren't nearly as nice looking as that CNC machined aluminum.

Archived