Don't Cry For Me Argentina Spoiler

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle racing, I have to say is in my blood, and over the years, certain riders have left their mark, Barry Sheene, Mike Hailwood, Agostini, John Surtees, Kenny Roberts, just to name a few, that I personally think they had something special to the rest of the Guys they they were competing with. But after watching the race today, there is only one that has that extra bit. 46 Valentino Rossi, is for sure the GOAT. Rossi is now 36 years of age, but his race craft, speed, hunger to win, and most of all his psychological power over his competitors, is for sure, No1. Valentino you are for sure No1, Marquez may have absolute speed, over any Motogp rider, but he certainly is not Valentino Rossi. :smile2:

Couldn't have said it better myself. 110!

39379AB8-4D1C-4A7C-87E6-F298301320C4_zps

• Member Contributer

I wonder why it was a Maradona 10 and not a Messi 10 ? Don't look for the Ducs down the stretch. With each good result, they take away another advantage. Soon, the will have to comply with the actual rules.

It's funny...i wrote in this very space a few years ago: "Crutchlow has a lot of talent, but if he goes to Ducati, it will ruin his career"

Vale is a big fan of Maradona. Watched him when he was a kid. Maradona even comes to a race once in a while to see Rossi. They are friends.

• Member Contributer

Rossi's race was a lesson in patience. Marquez will learn a lot from this race. As others have said, he chucked 20 points. I do admire his uncompromising will to win at any cost. Kinda neat seeing a Suzuki up front for a few laps! I wonder Aleix could do on the factory Honda...

• Member Contributer

I wonder why it was a Maradona 10 and not a Messi 10 ? Don't look for the Ducs down the stretch. With each good result, they take away another advantage. Soon, the will have to comply with the actual rules.

It's funny...i wrote in this very space a few years ago: "Crutchlow has a lot of talent, but if he goes to Ducati, it will ruin his career"

Vale is a big fan of Maradona. Watched him when he was a kid. Maradona even comes to a race once in a while to see Rossi. They are friends.

:offtopic:

I saw Maradona in the late 90's......

In Cuba, as he was leaving a rehab center there.... :goofy:

We were just passing through in our 4x4 on our honeymoon!!!

• Member Contributer

MM did not pick the wrong tires, practice showed that he could NOT run the extra hard rear and achieve competitive laps.

So it was a strategic decision to fit the hard, get out of Dogde fast and hope it would be enough....

So it was just gamesmanship to change to the hard tire on the grid since he was planning on going with it anyway?

• Member Contributer

In the Sunday morning warm-up Marquez was 5th fastest with the extra-hard compound (.125 slower than Rossi's best in same session)...certainly competitive. Marquez also said on Saturday that he was happy with either tire...

“Honestly with both tyres I feel well [hard and extra-hard rear]. With the front tyre I feel better with the hard, but with the rear with both tyres I feel well so tomorrow depending on the temperature I will choose one or the other one; it will be a difficult choice but also will be the key of the race if you want to improve,” he added.

“But it also depends on the strategy you want to use because if you want to push in the beginning you need to use the soft one or it you want to try to keep power for the end you must use the extra-hard.”

Temps were cooler on Sunday and Marquez thought he could get away with the softer compound and still win. He was wrong.

• Member Contributer

It was exactly the right tire choice. Check out early and win. One thing was not part of the equation, the greatest racer ever to put a helmet on, the doctor was on fire. One of the best rides ever!

• Member Contributer

It was exactly the right tire choice. Check out early and win. One thing was not part of the equation, the greatest racer ever to put a helmet on, the doctor was on fire. One of the best rides ever!

Didn't you see the slow motion shots of his rear tire missing huge chunks? It was not the right tire choice.

• Member Contributer

I am sick that I missed this race. For some stupid reason my Charter Cable DVR recorded a soccer match instead of MotoGP as it was programmed to. I am going back to Direct TV.

I am a big Rossi fan. I don't care for Marquez. If he crashed forcing his way through traffic like I have seen him do very often then I am glad he learned his lesson this way.

• Member Contributer

MM didnot pick the wrong tires, practice showed that he could NOT run the extra hard rear and achieve competitive laps.

So it was a strategic decision to fit the hard, get out of Dogde fast and hope it would be enough....

Don't forget Crutchlow used the same rear, changed on the grid too because of the temperatures and he managed 3rd on an inferior bike.

Rumours are that if Pedrosa doesn't return soon, Cal will get the latest updates that Repsol have.

• Member Contributer

MM didnot pick the wrong tires, practice showed that he could NOT run the extra hard rear and achieve competitive laps.

Don't forget Crutchlow used the same rear, changed on the grid too because of the temperatures and he managed 3rd on an inferior bike.

Rumours are that if Pedrosa doesn't return soon, Cal will get the latest updates that Repsol have.

In the after race press conference for Argentina, Cal admitted to receiving some updates at CoTA, so maybe even more to come...?

He also was saying that the "plan" that Honda had was for him to keep the front runners from getting close to MM (paraphrasing).

• Member Contributer

I like both Marc and Vale, but I have to say I enjoyed the last part of the race. Marc ruined it, though, by his hot-headed attempt to cut back under Rossi so quickly. If he hadn't done that, Rossi still would have won the race, given that there were still two laps to go and Marc clearly did not have the tire to even keep pace with Rossi. Okay, there was a looooong shot possibility that his superior skill and youthful reflexes could have kept him ahead of Rossi at the flag, but that was very unlikely--and clearly proved wrong by his mistake. Can't wait for Jerez. I might try to get to Mugello this year...

Ciao,

I thought Marquez got his comeuppance.

Marquez is very fond or barging his way through, making contact. When he first tried this in MotoGP against Lorenzo, Lorenzo would almost jump out of the way at the shock of being touched. He got used to it better, but still it seems to be a tactic of Marquez to barge a way through physically.

This time the error of that risky strategy cost him big time, trying to make someone jump out of the way to let him through. Rossi is a master and not going to fall for a sucker punch.

Serves him right, and might teach him to be more careful in trying to use his motorcycle physically against other riders - as he might end up on his ass again, trying it on in the Big Boys class.

This could be Dovizioso's year. He's been on the podium in every race so far and he's only behind Rossi by six points. At Qatar, he was behind Rossi (the winner) by a mere .174 seconds. The Ducatis look like they're running particularly strong. Iannone's only been on the podium once but he's finished in the top 5 in all three races. He's also in third place in the points race.

And there are a lot of very fast tracks yet to come for this season, which will suit the Ducs very nicely. Mugello, Silverstone, Assen, Brno, Aragon and Phillip Island are all very fast tracks.

Conversely, we may see a Suzuki hunting the pigeons at the slower tracks - maybe even Sunday week at Jerez. The Suzuki seems to be the best handling bike at the moment (as it usually was back in the Hopkins/Vermuelen era).

But yes, I'm tipping Dovi as being one of the three most likely to take the title this year and I sort of hope he does so.

I'm rather new to this racing stuff but I would've expected people here to be rooting for a Honda to win. But I don't know the history of this racing. It's just a thought I had after seeing some of the race & reading the thread.

Never really seen that here. People tend to support riders, whether by nationality or rider personality.

• Member Contributer

Hard to see from that angle but the overhead shot and the track level shot from the front clearly shows Vale look back over his right arm at MM's position after the bump and then proceed to nip the pup... great racing!

MM is getting a lot of running time lately in his leathers... A-stars may have to change the tread of his track boots to running sneakers :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm rather new to this racing stuff but I would've expected people here to be rooting for a Honda to win. But I don't know the history of this racing. It's just a thought I had after seeing some of the race & reading the thread.

Never really seen that here. People tend to support riders, whether by nationality or rider personality.

Maybe Honda newbies, but we Honda veterans know how Honda really feels about us (where's my bloody VFR1000 V5???), so we give the same degree of brand loyalty back... :sad:

( :cool:)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hard to see from that angle but the overhead shot and the track level shot from the front clearly shows Vale look back over his right arm at MM's position after the bump and then proceed to nip the pup... great racing!

MM is getting a lot of running time lately in his leathers... A-stars may have to change the tread of his track boots to running sneakers :goofy:

I haven't watched much motoGP before this year and... Yeah... That's my impression! This Marquez guy likes to run.

Archived