Finally A Vfr800! And A Tv Pilot

joepopp

• Member Contributer

In 1984 I had a deposit on a VFR500 but didn't buy the bike due to girlfriend pressure. Fast forward 30 years and I just purchased a very clean 2002 VFR800.

I am going to use this bike for a TV show pilot I am working on where I tour the 48 states as a singer-songwriter on a motorcycle.

Check out http://www.poppoveramerica.com/

If anybody has any mounting ideas for a Gibson J-200 Jumbo Acoustic, I'm all ears!

Nice to be here...

post-32230-0-23414700-1424871594.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Wow, you have had some kick ass life experience according to that video. I would love to see this show when it airs!

That's a clean 6th gen you have there. Since you are going to be touring the states, first things first. If it has not had it done yet, get a MOSFET R/R and at least a VFRness. Then add a voltmeter somewhere you can see it.

R/R:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

VFRness:

http://www.wiremybike.com/vfr-specific-parts-2002-2009-vfr-parts-2002-2009-vfrness-p-266.html

You already have a Sargent seat, so that is good. Depending on the state of your knees/back/shoulders, the comfort mods will be foot peg lowering blocks and helibars. Even without those mods, it's a pretty comfy bike and is just made to devour miles. If you don't already have the OEM luggage, don't worry there are lots of options out there for the 6th gens. I like the Givi v35's, but some need more space.

Good luck on your tour!

• Member Contributer

Man, Thanks for the tips and welcomes guys!

Married man: Very good advice. I will do these electrical updates. The bike already has Helibars installed which is why I paid a little more than I should have. I am still researching the luggage options but the V35s look like the way to go. The OEM bags make the bike VERY red. Ha Ha.

I'll be posting on here often once this dang weather gives us a break in NYC!

Hey Joe,

Welcome to VFRD, yes, make sure the wiring harness recall has been done. Also, maybe you could post a blog of your trip and when you get near a VFRD member's area we can come out and ride a bit with you?

Good job raising awareness of MS.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD!

People strap bicycles on their VFR so a Gibson should not pose a serious challenge.... :-)

• Member Contributer

Nice! And welcome aboard! Good luck with your pilot.

Thanks Duc2V4!

Love the red - that looks fantastic, nice find!

I hear good things about the Sargent seat as well, if you're looking for comfort mods. I installed Oxford heated grips on mine and they're fantastic.

I am pretty sure for the length of this trip heated grips are in order! Another great tip. Thanks Mike!

I've got the V35's with the PLX mounts and I'm very happy with them. I'm looking to pick up a top case to go with it for the upcoming riding season.

That seems to be the winning choice. I actually like the look of these over the OEM bags.

Hey Joe,

Welcome to VFRD, yes, make sure the wiring harness recall has been done. Also, maybe you could post a blog of your trip and when you get near a VFRD member's area we can come out and ride a bit with you?

Good job raising awareness of MS.

I will be blogging as I go. You will find it here: http://www.joepopp.net/poppoveramerica/blog/.

I love the idea of having guys meet meet as I go! Thanks Choco

It would really be cool if you could make it to the Texas Mac thing we have in May.

Inta, I'm shooting a pilot episode in July and then going to shop that to networks. If that doesn't go I'll be doing it in Late 2016/early 2017 even if I have to just produce it myself. I cannot be stopped!

Welcome to VFRD!

People strap bicycles on their VFR so a Gibson should not pose a serious challenge.... :-)

Ha Ha True! I'll make it happen.

Welcome to the asylum. Very nice find.

Thant's where I feel the most at home Max!

WELCOME nice VFR ....

Nice to be here. So many nice dudes already...

Welcome aboard,hope I get to see the show sometime.

The pilot will be up late August/Early September!

PM sent for ,

where are you starting from anyway ?

if youre close to DC I can help you mount the guitar to your bike. :fing02:

I am just shooting one Episode in NJ. The big trip is next year.

Welcome! Looks like you have a talented crew. Good luck! Oh yeah...nice bike!

I am beyond lucky. So many great people that believe in an old punk rocker like me. Pretty incredible.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/attachments/mechanical-advice/4318d1253096648-motorcycle-tow-bar-trailer-vfrcamping.jpg

Good luck, and good for you with bringing awareness of MS.

Don't think you'll have a problem figuring out the mounting mod.

Be safe and nice 02 with all the farkles...

HA HA! That makes me feel like a guitar will be no problem! Thanks Duccman!

• Member Contributer

Congrats and welcome to VFRD! Nice looking 6th gen. if you find yourself in Indianapolis and need any help on your journey don't hesitate to ask.

• Member Contributer

Beautiful '02 - Welcome - I picked up an '03 after a similar hiatus. Be happy to tag along for a bit or help out if you're passing through KC!

• Member Contributer

Welcome and good luck on your journey and adventure from a transplanted Jersey Boy... Rock On!!!

• Member Contributer

A Gibson and not a Martin???

I'd look into a backpack guitar case. Or some kind of trunk mount where you could support a hard case. Maybe like the Ventura rack system.

Oh, and welcome!

I was just thinking, what made you decide on the VFR over the BMW that you were wanting? I know the particular model of BMW you were interested in is cost prohibitive, so what made you decide on the VFR?

• Member Contributer

Congrats and welcome to VFRD! Nice looking 6th gen. if you find yourself in Indianapolis and need any help on your journey don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Deltabox! Very kind offer!

Beautiful '02 - Welcome - I picked up an '03 after a similar hiatus. Be happy to tag along for a bit or help out if you're passing through KC!

I need some of the BBQ! I went through there once and DIDN'T GET ANY!!! WTF!

Welcome and good luck on your journey and adventure from a transplanted Jersey Boy... Rock On!!!

Psyched to play The Stone Pony!

Very nice. I admire the mission behind your trip. Keep us posted on your travels - we love photos! Cheers

Oh there will be photos! Please subscribe to the blog: http://www.joepopp.net/poppoveramerica/blog/

I got some nice camera I'll be using...

A Gibson and not a Martin???

I'd look into a backpack guitar case. Or some kind of trunk mount where you could support a hard case. Maybe like the Ventura rack system.

Oh, and welcome!

Ha Ha! The classic battle! I'll be cooking up a cool case. Similar to this: http://www.zmotorcase.com/

• Member Contributer

I was just thinking, what made you decide on the VFR over the BMW that you were wanting? I know the particular model of BMW you were interested in is cost prohibitive, so what made you decide on the VFR?

Excellent question. I talked to BMW at the motorcycle show here in NYC and I just got a really bad vibe. The rep said "BMW doesn't want you marketing our motorcycles for them."I then wrote to the Marketing contact and got a cut and paste response that referred me to their non-profit page. Hey, I know I'm not Ewan McGregor, but it would have been nice to have a response. The original managing director of BMW was Franz Josef Popp and my name is Joseph Popp. I thought that would at least earn some kind of reply! I mean what are the odds? When I contacted Honda I got TWO responses! I understand that nobody is going to give me a free bike, but I was just testing the waters for the future. The Honda people watched the video and had great advice and comments. Then I thought back to my youth when I had a deposit on a brand new 1984 VFR500 but gave it up because of girlfriend pressure. I've always loved the bike. A true sport touring machine. Check out the blog post about it: http://www.joepopp.net/poppoveramerica/the-bike-for-popp-over-america/ And like you said $! The used interceptor is 1/5th the price and that's the reality of my financial state. Hell, even that's a stretch with the show expenses piling up! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I'm always on the look out for unique entertainment. You pilot teaser was interesting. My first thought on a guitar mount was something like the police use to carry their shotguns on their motorcycles.

For kicks here are some pics

https://www.google.com/search?q=Police+motorcycle+shotgun+mount&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS457US458&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=khvxVNjyCtCcygSpz4LADw&ved=0CCsQ7Ak&biw=1600&bih=775

Archived