I Hate Wearing Gloves!

burnes45

• Member Contributer

I know I have to wear them but none seem to fit right. They bunch up under my hand are uncomfortable make my hands sweat, cramp, no feel for controls etc... I've got odd shaped hands, wide across the knuckles but fingers not long in proportion. I've tried on everything from $200 gloves to leather yard gloves. The best feeling gloves are my "Mechanix" work gloves. I know they won't do much if I go down but a least I can ride with them on and operate the controls in comfort. Anyone else in the same boat and if so what kind of gloves do you wear? I'm willing to try anything I need my hands to make a paycheck so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I know I have to wear them but none seem to fit right. They bunch up under my hand are uncomfortable make my hands sweat, cramp, no feel for controls etc... I've got odd shaped hands, wide across the knuckles but fingers not long in proportion. I've tried on everything from $200 gloves to leather yard gloves. The best feeling gloves are my "Mechanix" work gloves. I know they won't do much if I go down but a least I can ride with them on and operate the controls in comfort. Anyone else in the same boat and if so what kind of gloves do you wear? I'm willing to try anything I need my hands to make a paycheck so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

are you kidding me ? those gloves are AWESOME!!

if they can save my skin from a grinder with 60 grit at 5500 rpm.. they will hold up during a crash.. :beer:

• Member Contributer

The only thing I might offer is that when I purchased my gloves, the person in the shop counseled me to get them on the tight side. Body heat and sweat would help them to stretch to fit. I was skeptical, but in the end after a break in period that's the way it worked out. Had I bought them to be comfortable by the time they broke in they would have been too loose. Locally we have a person that makes alterations to race suits. You might be able to find someone such as that who could alter a pair for you to suit your hand shape.

Problem with most gloves these days is they tend to be much stiffer than older design gloves and much slower to break in to the shape of your hand, because of the rigid plastic armor and "shingled" leather plates they put on the top of the gloves/fingers. The gloves are further made stiffer and harder to break in by the liberal use of imitation leather like Lorica and even vinyl on some accordioned flex areas considered not to be in danger of abrasion. I have SP-1 Alpinestar gloves from a few seasons ago that still feels not broken in even after years of use. Looks really nice, even up to now, but because of the materials I mentioned above, it's probably the most uncomfortable gloves I have owned so far.....

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the Held Steve II. Softer gloves, no real protection other than they are leather. Should be pretty comfy.

I doubt the Mechanix gloves will do anything in a crash. Have seen three people go down with them, and their hands were cut and bleeding. Better than nothing, but not all that great.

• Member Contributer

Lee Parks Design has some nice deer skin gloves that they will custom make, you provide the template of your hand and they'll make them to fit. Although they look like decent gloves, they do not have all of the "other" features found on most current riding gloves i.e. TPU palm sliders & knuckle protectors

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/deertours/

• Member Contributer

Just to be a contrarian: I Love Wearing Gloves! I've had rocks, bugs, hail, tar, and all manner of nasty road detritus bounce off my hands with no ill effect because I was wearing gloves. And of course they protect you from the the usual suspects: cold, rain, sun and wind. Thankfully I've only gone down at speed while offroad riding, but gloves saved my hands there too.

But it can be difficult finding good quality and a good fit at a reasonable price. +1 to Cogswell: buy on the tight side, they'll stretch to fit; and +1 to Beck, gloves with kevlar panels, plastic air ducts and the like are never quite as comfy as the old-style pure leather ones were.

Currently I have an older pair of Alpinestars SP-2s that I like, but the rubber A-stars logo on the back of one gauntlet popped off when they were fairly new (I had to glue it back down with shoe goo), and the suede on the thumbs (which is supposed to improve grip, I think) wore to holes in a nanosecond. The leather (goat leather?) underneath is fine, but not exactly what I was hoping for in a $130 pair of gloves.

I absolutely love my Aerostich Elkskin roper gloves. Like everything labeled Aerostich, they aren't for the fashion conscious. If looks are more important to you than function, move on. I've not "road tested" them, but I have confidence they'll survive any slide better than I will.

I've had the unfortunate opportunity to be on a response team to investigate accidents at work. What can I tell you..... Mechanix gloves are next to worthless regarding cut protection... in fact they are worse than worthless because they provide a false sense of security. If you want real cut protection from a glove with dexterity and feel to work in look for something with "Dyneema", such as PIP's Great White work gloves.

Don't believe me? Take a razor blade to the palm of a pair of Mechanix gloves and then to some gloves made of Dyneema.

• Member Contributer

I can't ride without gloves. That said, I have a tough time finding gloves that fit well and have good feel on the controls. Lately, I've been happy with Held gloves. They are pricey, but worth it.

• Member Contributer

Here's a tip for getting your gloves to fit better faster: get 'em wet, and go for a nice long ride until they are dry. Repeat as necessary.

I love my Held Titans. Best pair of gloves I've ever owned by far. They took a while to break in, but now they're like a second skin. The Gerbings are a close second. Good feel for heavy gloves, and that adjustable heat thing makes riding possible when the grips alone can't keep up.

I'm the opposite - I love a good glove! Starting to think I might have a fetish... BUT: they have to feel right, bad gloves can ruin a ride.

Best glove I have used from a feel perspective are the Icon Pursuit perfotated & the Alpinestars GP-Pro or GP Tech.

Alpinestars for trackdays, spirited riding, etc, the Icons for commuting/casual rides. Obviously the Icons don't offer much in the way of protection, but that's a trade off for comfort, cooling & ease of getting on/off. The only downside of the Icons is that the palms are also perforated, so they don't last very long.

Common wisdom says to try on the gloves with your dominant hand - now, that works fine if you're a righty, but for us leftys, it leaves the right a bit loose generally, very annoying for throttle control. I say, match the throttle hand, it does the most work.

• Member Contributer

I have not yet worn gloves that feel perfect. All the ones I have worn ranging from 90$ to 200$ tire out my fingers, hands and wrists eventually.

Still, I always wear them. I feel way too vulnerable without them on.

When I got biffed off my 6th gen interceptor by a cager in May '14, my Danese full metal racers absolutely saved both my hands. The titanium knuckles were ground completely off one of them and the impact of the other hand was so hard on the pavement it was numb for hours. But no injury (wish I could say the same for my knee after my Vanson racing leathers failed miserably on impact). I replaced them with the same exact model. Best $300 I have yet spent.

If you have wide hands and shorter fingers, RS Taichi might be your best fit.

• Member Contributer

Rules do not allow posting graphic pictures but seach Google on "motorcycle road rash hands" and select images... :wacko:

• Member Contributer

If you can't find a glove that fits nicely, you just haven't found the right one yet. It took me a lot of trial and error before I really got a good fitting make. I wear Five Advanced Gloves exclusively now. Perfect for my hands.

• Member Contributer

The only reason Dutchy wears gloves is so that he doesn't leave any fingerprints on the empty beer cans which would prove that he drank the last beer.

You'll never be able to wear most European fit gloves...they tend to be made for people with long fingers and skinny hands. I have the same problem as you and have found a few lower priced options out there...Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 fit pretty well and were quite comfortable out of the box. But now I only want gloves with palm sliders so those are out. My current gloves are $99 Fly FL2. Very comfy without break-in, decent build quality, and decent protection. The hardest thing about trying to find gloves that fit is finding an acutal store with a big enough selection to try on.

• Member Contributer

are you fellas tell me you dont know how to do a fast glove break in ???

take a HOT bath..

very hot..

put on gloves.

make fists!

punch the water like you are the champ or fighting in the matrix !

or channel freddie mercury and turn the shower on..

in any case.. leave them on for at least a good 10 min..

take off and let them dry.. repeat as needed..

i only had to do this once an a REALLY tight pair.. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I agree with the suggestion of Held Steve gloves...most comfortable gloves I've ever worn. I love them, feel of the controls is almost as good as not wearing gloves.

I love the feel of my old Held gloves too. I still remember when the store owner at Helimot sold them to me more than ten years ago and he made me wear them, put my gloved hand on the counter then proceeded to hit the top of my hand with his fist very hard, and I hardly felt it because of the special gel type foam on in the tops of the glove that dissipates shock..... I still have the gloves as they held up really well all these years, I'd still be wearing them today if only they had some sort of retention strap at the wrist, as the elastic in that area the glove has can never keep them on in a crash maybe I'll have them added on by a leather shop this summer........

• Member Contributer

I hate them but I wear them. like one of you guys said its hard to find a place to try on gloves. I spent 2 hrs. in cycle gear and could not find anything I was happy with. Not any other place around here with a selection. Guess I'll have to go the internet order rout and hope I get lucky. Its a time consuming process sending them back and reordering. A lot of votes for Held I'll try them 1st.

Archived