New Mirrors

30Bones

Anyone buy the eBay special mirrors and like them? I hate hate hate the stock ones on my 99. The 'condum' style OE are terrible for me since I store mine and park it in tight spaces and am constantly moving my mirrors in and out. My friend has a 00 and his are missing the condum and the arms are black. I guess I could simply paint mine but that seems hack.

My experience with Hong Kong items has been poor thus far. I'm currently awaiting my third smoked windscreen. Each one has arrived busted in two. Mirrors would be far easier to ship I understand.

Links are appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The mirrors for '00 and '01 are fine pieces of art. And I believe they fit the '98 and '99. Don't forget the mounting bolts.

• Member Contributer

I did the swap on my '99 for Y2K mirrors and bought OEM. IMO it was worth the extra money. I didn't want the mirrors vibrating or constantly out of adjustment or the finish peeling off. There's a die cut rubber pad that sits under the base you'll need to order as well. The mirrors are about $79 each and the pads around $4 on Partzilla.

• Member Contributer

I bought some OEM 00/01 mirrors from DSS and they have deteriorated on the stalk but otherwise are good.

When I had my 5th gen, I used the EMGO mirrors. They were cheaper than the OEM but look identical. I never had issues with vibrations or anything. I also used mirror extending blocks at the base.

Here is the right side mirror over at Amazon. There is an option down in the recommendations to buy both together:

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-20-37341-Matte-Replacement-Mirror/dp/B003CKJ60K

lol, gr8vfr beat me to it by just a few moments!

• Member Contributer

6th Gen mirrors fit and look great. Much better then the oem condom mirrors.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. That's what I put on my '99. Not bashing Emgo mirrors, just didn't want to take the chance.

• Member Contributer

Condom-less mirrors will make you bike 5mph slower because of increased turbulence around the stick-like mirror stalks. This is a scientifically proven fact in the internutz........... :rolleyes:

I think you are mixing things up a bit. High tech scientific wind tunnel testing on both styles were used to develop them. What you are thinking is that removing the condoms from the early style mirrors resulted in significant aero issues, and in some cases loss of control resulting in fiery death. The new ones were developed as condom-less to start, so no issues with them at all! And the result was 5mph gain.

• Member Contributer

6th Gen mirrors fit and look great. Much better then the oem condom mirrors.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. That's what I put on my '99. Not bashing Emgo mirrors, just didn't want to take the chance.

Installed, are the 6th gen mirrors wider than the 5G?

Edit: So, I've read the 6G's mount is wider than the 5G's so the bolts will not line up.

Ok, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/50327-mirror-confusion/

Thought I was losing it.

:wink:

I'll grab one of my buddies mirrors and see if that's a go before I do anything else. Thanks.

Yes, the 00/01 mirrors will fit. The 6th gen mirrors will not.

Another option for the 3rd-5th gen VFR is using R1100S mirrors. Those are wider so you do not need mirror extenders and have the same bolt spacing. Only a little work on the mating surface is necessary.

R1100_Smirror.jpg

RHS mirror of a R1100S compared to a stock 3rd gen LHS mirror.

Davis Silver spares used to have (maybe still does) a mirror upgrade kit that included two condomless OEM VFR Y2K mirrors, rubber baseplates and bolts to fit the 1990-1999 model VFRs. I think I paid a little over €100 for the kit, cheap considering a single mirror sells for about €75.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I ended up removing the condums and painting the arms black. Looks much better. I can get pics if needed.

Sent from my Samsung S5

Yes, please post up some pics. I might go this route on mine. The condom mirrors never bothered me much, but I still really don't like the look.

Archived