"packing The Essentials" List

Guest FUBAR

Hi Everyone

I am going to my first rally the first week of October and have been trying to fathom the packing dalema of what NEEDS to go with - All my mates tell me that I am over thinking this whole thing and that I am going to end up with the everying in my house including the Kitchen sink on my bike... It is a weekend trip leaving the Friday and coming back on the Sunday - the trip is around 250km to the final destination.

Can you guys help with a list of absolute essencials that needs to go with besides Tent and Sleeping bag?

Maybe we can learn from each other and pick up a few tips each other that someone ells did not think of before...

• Member Contributer

Torch

Bottle for water (hangover cure)

Spare shreddies (pants)

Toothbrush & toothpaste

Sunglasses

Bank card & cash

Spare keys

Bike lock

Wet wipes

Puncture repair kit

Lots more but depends upon you.....

• Member Contributer

I like to carry a portable air compressor for potential tire repair and to be able to adjust air preasure not matter where I am, to go with the puncture repair kit.

I also recommend having something to put under the sidestand when parking on questionable surfaces like sand or grass. And a spray bottle with water and a cloth to clean your face shield of bugs and other junk.

• Member Contributer

Wise to carry colored duct tape that matches your machine. (They don't call me Duct Tape Terry for nothin'.) Thanks for your support Dutchy. :wink:

In the hopes of never having to use it Of Course.

I also carry a spare r/r and multi meter.

• Member Contributer

Gents, 250km to end point. Assume x 2 - 500 km or 300 miles? Seriously all of this crap? These aren't old classics. Gosh! I'd pack the lightest clothing and hygiene needs. A multitool, tire gauge, tape and some spare tie wraps and fuses. I'm saying this assuming you have a good voltage meter on your ride. Most importantly I'd simply carry a CAA or AAA card. (Or equivalent) Whiskey is good too. :-)

AlI know is, the first time I took an overnight bike trip,

I had to take 1/2 the stuff back into my apartment while packing.

No way was it gonna fit on the bike. :rolleyes:

Bring money. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Gents, 250km to end point. Assume x 2 - 500 km or 300 miles? Seriously all of this crap? These aren't old classics.

For shorter day rides (anything under 350 miles) I GO LIGHT! - flat kit, small compressor, spanner for the chain, and basic 8/10/12 mm sockets, appropriate allen wrench, a phillip's and a standard screw driver, some strong tape, and that's it. Anything more serious than that and I can either borrow it or just get a ride home and come back with my trailer. That stuff goes into my tank bag with my water, snacks, and a map.

I just finished a 4500+ mile ride this month and I did take half the garage with me thanks to excessive luggage capacity however the only thing I used was my chain lube every other day. The chain didn't even need adjustment over that period. You can break down going to the grocery store 2 miles away or you might go 30 years w/o a break down like me. You just have to decide what is prudent and what is beyond being prepared. As dgordon said, these aren't old classics and chances are that things will be ok.

A tyre repair kit and basic tools (including some duct tape) is standard equipment I always carry with me on the bike. Al the other stuff for the bike mentioned here I find unnecessary. Give the bike a once over before the trip and you are good untill the next oil change. I have a pro-oiler for chain maintenance so never have to care about that. Have one of the group bring a can of chain wax. As you are camping, bring a small foldable chair or stool and maybe a cloth hanger (or two) to hang your riding suit to vent when sitting around the campfire. A Leatherman is always usefull: from opening bottles to skinning roadkill :laugh: Also a head LED light I find very usefull. Also my bike is equiped with a USB socket so I can charge my phone using the bike's battery.

OK... This is the list that I worked on but it is an extensive one for propably a very longer trip than the current one at hand:

Bungee nets/cords

Cell Phone

Ear plugs

First Aid Kit

Knife

Small Flashlite

Batteries (Flashlight)

Plastic Bags

Sidestand Plate

Suntan Lotion

Cable Ties

Duct / Insolation tape

Tire Gauge

Tools

Tire Weld

Empty Water Bottle

Tent

Tent Zipper Locks

Sleeping Bags

Self inflating Pillow and matress

Extra Keys

Disc Lock

Cigarettes

Extra Lighter

Tickets / Passes

Caps / Hat

Rain Coat

T-Shirts(riding)

Shirts(long-sleeve)

Socks(regular)

Swim Shorts/Suit

Underwear

Thermals (Seasonal)

Deodorant

Eye Drops

Hairbrush

Insect Bite Lotion

Shampoo

Soaps

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Towel

Wash Cloths

Handy-Wipes

Detol / Cotton Wool

Toilet Paper

Immodium and Valloids

• Member Contributer

Gents, 250km to end point. Assume x 2 - 500 km or 300 miles? Seriously all of this crap? These aren't old classics. Gosh! I'd pack the lightest clothing and hygiene needs. A multitool, tire gauge, tape and some spare tie wraps and fuses. I'm saying this assuming you have a good voltage meter on your ride. Most importantly I'd simply carry a CAA or AAA card. (Or equivalent) Whiskey is good too. :-)

+1

• Member Contributer

A self-renewing AMA membership comes with roadside assistance insurance. Once you're signed up, You Can't Leave Home Without It. (Although one must remember one's got it!)

• Member Contributer

Duct Tape and Sweetwater IPA is all you need sir.

Rollin

You forgot WD-40, for those things that should move, but won't ...

ACE

• Member Contributer

Tire pressure gauge

Small cans chain lube & bike polish

2 rags

spare earplugs

real camera

cash and CC

rain gear

old socks and underwear that I can toss out along the way

that should do for 2-5 day jaunts. If you have to carry a garage worth of tools, it's time to get a 4th gen ;)

• Member Contributer

I've been bringing those Starbucks VIA packets for instant coffee on my trips. I throw a few of them in my toiletry kit. A little hot water and you've got a pretty damn good cuppa considering the convenience factor.

Hi Everyone

I am going to my first rally the first week of October and have been trying to fathom the packing dalema of what NEEDS to go with - All my mates tell me that I am over thinking this whole thing and that I am going to end up with the everying in my house including the Kitchen sink on my bike... It is a weekend trip leaving the Friday and coming back on the Sunday - the trip is around 250km to the final destination.

Can you guys help with a list of absolute essencials that needs to go with besides Tent and Sleeping bag?

Maybe we can learn from each other and pick up a few tips each other that someone ells did not think of before...

a 3 piece cocktail shaker. stuff it with sox, underwear, spare parts. anything then you also have a cup, a strainer and a shot glass.calculate how much room this takes up when it is filled with other stuff. ENJOY

• Member Contributer

Hi Everyone

Your mates are correct. Remember others are with you so you don't have to be self sufficient. Skid's list and your little tool kit will probably do you more than well. Have a great time!!

Thanks for all the help - I have "Test" packed my stuff last night and seems I will have ample space left - Now it is just to pack the stuff so that the bike is balanced. All that I need to pack still is clothes and toiletries and off I go!!!

Ok... some feedback after the trip... I must say there were some eccentails I am very glad I packed and some things that was a total waste of time:

Positives:

1. Sunscreen

2. Cable Ties (used by someone ells, Not me)

3. Snacks

4. Insolation tape (used by someone ells, Not me)

5. Toolkit (used to connect electric pump for someone ellses blowup matres)

6. WHISKEY!!!! (never a bad idea)

7. a warm fleece jacket

8. slops for the shower

9. Wet wipes - Small pack to clean helmet visors (everyone in the group used mine)

10. Pocket Knife

11. Empty bottle for water - Goes well with point number 6 - Saved me a few trips to the tap and back.

12. LOTS and LOTS of Cash

Negatives:

1. too much clean clothes

2. too much food - only ate the snacks and the rest bought at the rally

3. Pair of sneakers - waste of time - walked around in my boots the whole weekend

Things I should have done different:

1. Blow Up matras - The self inflating matras I bought is useless - I could not walk for 2 days afterwards because of basically sleeping on the ground

2. Pitch the tent before you leave - I bought the tent from a friend that used it once - The poles were broken and could have turned nasty on me if there was more damage to the tent

3. Dont touch the BBQ drum with your bare hands - It is HOT....

4. Bring the bigger tent - The one that I bought was very small and if the wife goes with the next time it will most certainly not be big enough.

All in All a good trip and enjoyed it very much!!! Now to plan for the next one!!

Archived