God, I Hate Putting The Fairings Back On

Rich

I just got done replacing my stator, and am in the process of putting the farings back on. Am I the only one who ends up with boltless holes, where the things just won't align themselves? I had to take a break, because I was just getting too pissed :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I've never had that happen on my 5th Gen. Perhaps a 6th is different. I just take my time & not force anything back together & it always seems to align right. But if I was rushing to do it, it'd probably be a problem. It's good to take a break before damaging a $500 panel.

• Member Contributer

When the well nuts get worn out I find that the panels are harder to put on. The alignment is helped if you can get at least one bolt started. I usually put the one that is mid panel then one of the ones at the bottom half.then get the front ones.

I've had troubles a time or two but after 10 years and 74000 miles my fairings have been taken off and put back on so many times that it's a simple job now. I don't tighten any until all are well started; the chin fairing has a little groove and should be massaged into place; I've changed bolts few times now and those push pins need replacing often; I've had to epoxy Nut back on the inside of the chin fairing and I use a push pin for one of the minor fairing mounts. Keep at it don't fight become one with your fairing ...... And don't forget to tighten all the bolts!

• Member Contributer

Mine line up nicely. My complaint is I have to take the frame sliders off if I want to take the fairings off.. but one could argue that was self-inflicted since I installed the frame sliders.

• Member Contributer

I always have to start at the front where it slides into the front fairng. If I do that everything lines up. If I start at the rear then the front will have a gap.

+1 stick the front tabs in and then put one of the side panel screws in. Then go to the bottom line up where the panels meet in the middle and put the two little plastic pins in. Next is the two screws that attach to the center front cowl where the headers are. Next is the rest of the screws starting at the blinker and continuing towards the rear .

• Member Contributer

Speaking of putting fairings back on, where is a good place to get the fairing nuts, the rubber and copper ones? I need a few and I also need a bolt for the seat cowl fairing.

I think what you're referring to are called well nuts.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Well+nuts&Search.x=-119&Search.y=-126

You're going to be looking for M5-8 below are the part numbers I ordered, the main difference is the length.

Part #A16242 (.554 length)

Part #A16248 (.665 length)

• Member Contributer

My local Honda dealer had a pot of well nuts for sale.

I also dislike getting the side fairings back on. I put the back one on first and then work on the top ones near the bars. The one closest to the tank is the most important to get right. After that the rest are easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I just my fairings on my 5th gen after having everything including the headlights off. The holes did not want to line up and when I forced the bolt through two of the holes the rubber nuts came out.

I found there is an order to putting the fairings back on. Trouble is I can't remember what order that is or I would list it out. Once I secured the side fairings first though the rest of the front fairing holes began to line up better.

Sent via iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of putting fairings back on, where is a good place to get the fairing nuts, the rubber and copper ones? I need a few and I also need a bolt for the seat cowl fairing.

I think what you're referring to are called well nuts.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Well+nuts&Search.x=-119&Search.y=-126

You're going to be looking for M5-8 below are the part numbers I ordered, the main difference is the length.

Part #A16242 (.554 length)

Part #A16248 (.665 length)

Hey Texfoto,

I just called my friendly neighborhood Honda dealer and they want $3.71 for each fastener! :unsure: Or, I can get the well nuts you linked above and I get 25 for $15.89. Hmmmm, 25, or 4. Such a tough decision....

• 1 month later...

I also hate reinstalling fairings. In past years I've ridden a lot, and needed to do multiple oil changes per year. I'm not bright enough to figure out how to get to the oil filter without removing the left fairing, so off/on it goes 2-3 times per year. What a pain. This is one main reason I will definitely consider a naked bike (or bike with a smaller "bikini" fairing and windshield, like the FZ1) next time.

Luckily everything else about my VFR is just about perfect! :wink:

Archived