8Th Gen Finally On Us Soil

• Member Contributer

I got the call from Shawnee Honda and DFW Honda on the 4th stating that the new VFR 800 was in stock and ready to go. From there I made arrangements with Shawnee Honda to test drive the bike with the stipulation that I would be able to put at least 50 miles on the bike during the test drive. After an hour or so I got the call back from my sales person that the General Manager agreed to that. I showed up at the dealership at approximately 10 AM on the 5th to look over the bike. They had a red deluxe and a white standard version on the showroom floor. Initial inspection revealed quite a few differences between the 2. Deluxe model has an adjustable rear pre-load knob, adjustable pre-load and re-bound on the front forks, self cancelling turn signals, which suck imo, heated grips, ABS/traction control, and centerstand. The standard version has none of the options. My only concern was that Honda had rushed to get the bikes to the showrooms, and it showed. When I had the dealer pull the seat to lower it, way cool feature btw, the rubber cushion grommets for the seat were laying in the seat tray on the white bike instead of plugged into the holes on the bottom of the seat. Not a good start. I also noticed that the plastic tabs for the upper cowl where it goes around the instrument cluster and meets the middle cowl were overlapped on the outside of the mid cowl instead of inserted in the mid cowl like they should be. Both right and left tabs were like that on the red deluxe and the left hand side was like that on the white standard bike. I pointed this out to the dealer and they stated they would take care of it. Not something that should be noticed after they are sitting on the showroom floor in my opinion. Be that as it was I still got geared up to go for my test drive after the seat was lowered. Initial reviews on that option was spot on, it makes a huge difference and the bike truly is quite a bit narrower. So, off I go with my wife and in-laws in tow. We have a new VFR, an FZ6, and a Goldwing in a group. Quite a sight I know. Right off I noticed a slight surge at parking lot speeds. At around 10 mph in 1st gear if you hold the throttle dead still it will speed up and slow down. Hey, I thought that Honda had fixed the low speed fueling issues of years past, same problem I had on the 1200 until I spent a bit of time and money on it to fix that problem. I guess not. Oh well, I got an open ended time and mileage test drive so I continued on. In 90 degree weather the bike never got over 180 degress while moving, no matter how slow I was going. I can say the v-tech transition was almost un-noticeable. Trip computer showed 46.5 mpg by the time I returned to the dealer. It would probably still go up the longer it was ridden. The main thing I can say is this, OMG, OMG, OMG. This thing handles and balances 10 time better that I can manage on the 1200. Oklahoma is not known for it's curvy roads but if you know where to go you can still find a few good turns. Turn in is so quick and effortless that I went back to the same curves more times that I can count, I will say that I did not like the self cancelling turn signals, they turned off a couple of times before I entered the turn somehow. I still have a ton of thoughts in my head about the bike, just not sure I can get them all down on paper. But, if someone is interested in riding one in the states, they are finally here. Take my experience for what it is worth, you may have a different opinion.

post-23180-0-07987300-1402074840.jpg

post-23180-0-08380900-1402075040.jpg

I keep reading this reviews where professionals and everyday people love the bike. I'm glad they do, but I seriously don't see what is so different about the bike. The geometry, frame, and motor are all unchanged. There must be something going on with the suspension to make such a noticeable impression on people.

• Member Contributer

Wish I could get excited about it. The 1200 has at least 50 more HP.

You need a Thurn suspension link for your 1200, should make turn in real nice. Will test mine out soon...........

• Member Contributer

Since I already have a 6th gen I won't be making the plunge, even though i do like the bike, but I can say they changed something on the chassis. I just don't want to have to go through the whole "smoothing" out process again after I just got the 1200 finished. Who knows, maybe in a few years, but for now I will finish tweaking the big 12. I did not comment on horsepower btw as the 1200 does put it to shame. But, it does get up and scoot.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Thank huntingguns for your test ride report... I gotta go see if one is in the showroom of our local Honda dealer. (when you gonna unveil the 4th?)

-- btw - Paul, sold the '99? :beer:

• Member Contributer

I'm sure it's a great bike and will do ok for Honda, but it still misses the mark for me. IMO, it's a sightly restyled Gen5...without the secret ingredient every VFR fan has asked for since, well, the Gen4...a big motor.

How'd you get the dealer to let you put 50 miles on a new bike? Around here they barely let you sit on them, much less ride 'em.

• Member Contributer

I keep reading this reviews where professionals and everyday people love the bike. I'm glad they do, but I seriously don't see what is so different about the bike. The geometry, frame, and motor are all unchanged. There must be something going on with the suspension to make such a noticeable impression on people.

It is probably loosing the 20 lbs of weight carried high in the tail (alloy rear subframe and no heavy stock undertail exhaust) that make the biggest difference.

• Member Contributer

Interesting. Thanks for the report. Was the suspension ok? Adjustable, right? Too close to my 6th gen to get one right now. However, anything about hard cases to go with it??

C

• Member Contributer

I'm sure it's a great bike and will do ok for Honda, but it still misses the mark for me. IMO, it's a sightly restyled Gen5...without the secret ingredient every VFR fan has asked for since, well, the Gen4...a big motor.

How'd you get the dealer to let you put 50 miles on a new bike? Around here they barely let you sit on them, much less ride 'em.

Not all of us. I prefer the 750cc size. The 782cc just bumps it into the litre class insurance rate for us in BC. Anyway, I do like the new bike but finances mean it, or any new bike, will be replacing my 95 anytime soon.

• Member Contributer

I agree with CC, I think it the handling is affected with how the weight was distributed with the low mount exhaust and radiator. The deluxe model has adjustable preload and rebound, the standard doesn't even have preload. It does handle like a dream. I figure when someone gets around to taking one to dyno jet or Don Guhl and the mapping is sorted for the low speed fueling, it will be a truly great bike. Also when the qc folks at Honda gets their act together so the plastic is assembled right I will look at it again. It really is a nice bike and I enjoyed putting some miles on it. Show the dealer all the threads on VFRD and tell them you will post up your thoughts and they will probably let you test drive one, a good relationship with your local dealer also helps.

• Member Contributer

Honda dropped the ball on this bike and that is really sad. I forgot to mention that the dealers don't have the accessory catalogs yet. I called Keith at Mason City and he called Honda US and they don't even have access to them.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if the panel's you found misaligned were installed by the dealer .

Not a good start for sure .

Can't wait for a test ride . Going from a 7th gen to 8th gen a big difference but a 6th gen to a 8th gen may be not as impressive .

• Member Contributer

I asked the dealer if they assembled any of the bike, they stated no, just the battery. When you get a chance to ride one, look at the fairings around the cluster. I'm interested to see how many are like that. I have been told by more than 1 person that I would be crazy to loose 50 horsepower coming off a 7th gen. It is a big difference but the new bike is pretty quick. If the fueling and plastic was right, I would make the swap just for the weight difference and handling. Just my preference, but I will wait until all the bugs are worked out and there are aftermarket parts available.

• Member Contributer

It would be strange indeed if these bikes do not need any dealer prep apart from fitting the battery! They just don't come completely asssembled from the factory. Maybe the dealer meant that the bikes had been removed from the crate and prepped by the local distributor?

Ciao,

I asked the dealer if they assembled any of the bike, they stated no, just the battery.

Well hell, that could just be the dealer not wanting to look like and idiot. I would be very surprised if they didn't have to assemble more of the bike at the dealership.

-- btw - Paul, sold the '99? :beer:

Yup, sold it on Wednesday. I wasn't as sad as I thought I would be though. This young man was so excited and happy about the whole thing, he wanted to hug me. Literally. I felt really good that I held it for him as long as I did. He is in a Christian rock band and was on the road a lot. He drove 5.5 hours up here to buy the bike. He only trailered it because I gave so much stuff to him in the sale that it would all fit on the bike.

Even his wife was happy about the bike. Now you know it's going to a good home when it has two parents!

• Member Contributer

It would be strange indeed if these bikes do not need any dealer prep apart from fitting the battery! They just don't come completely asssembled from the factory. Maybe the dealer meant that the bikes had been removed from the crate and prepped by the local distributor?

Ciao,

Yeah, most sportbikes come mostly assembled except usually the windscreen, mirrors and sometimes you have to move the clip ons to their proper place. On almost all bikes with fairings they are pretty much assembled. There are exceptions when it comes to bikes like the fjr or gold wing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The 7th gen is completely assembled except for the battery. I have pictures of mine when it was taken out of the crate. Service department hooks up the battery, checks the fluids, and starts it up. Nothing else. Not sure if the new 800 is the same, but it sounds like it.

Looks like that alloy subframe is checking in at $496....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Looks like that alloy subframe is checking in at $496....

Is it lighter ?

Yeah it's a bout 5 pounds lighter

And should bolt to the 6th gen frame

• Member Contributer

The fairings for this one seem less expensive that 5th gens.

Archived