So...i Went And Done Did It...

The last 2.5 years with my well used 4th gen have been fun. New parts, upgrades, paint, trips, rider courses....

I had come to the conclusion that it was the perfect sportbike for me, since I like to scratch, but then I like to cruise and eat up tons of miles (relative to sportbikes)

But, I have this problem--I like new crap. I like change. So after joking with my wife about getting a newer bike for a couple of weeks (to judge her reaction), she finally said YES....

Oh, sweet moses, yes, and just in time, because this bad boy showed up at a local dealership the same week...

IMG_0051.JPG

"I want to be a Ducatisti" I told myself. I went to ride it that week.

An odd looking bike at the best of times, she had no back brakes hardly, vibrated the mirrors to feck all, and the windscreen....ugh, that windscreen....

I wasn't in love. I wanted Ducati, but it wasn't there. Plus they wanted $7600. Kinda rich for my blood.

I told myself I would love it, to just get used to it, and decided to trade in my bike plus 5500.

I had the weekend to think about it, and I felt sick thinking about ol' Bessie Blue going in as a trade. I layed in bed wide awake scouring Scamlist and this popped up over the weekend!!!!!

00l0l_8UHiFVKLz6N_600x450.jpg

07 RWB w/ 2k miles for $4500!!!!!

Sold.

I hopped a ride to Memphis, got dropped off, rode it back.

I. Love. This. Bike.

I had to apologize to it for always judging the 6th gens to be dumb. and ugly. and slow. I love almost everything about this bike.

Handles leap years better than my 4th gen (even with DMR'd suspension), doesn't hardly vibrate, VTEC is freakin sweet. DAT PAINTJOB. I love seeing the cylinder head under the seat/tank. Very Ducati-ey.

It looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. Even the engine and hard parts are still shiny.

I'm sorry 4th genners, but the 6th gen rocks.

TL;DR

I bought a 6th gen, and I have a 4th Gen for sale.

I have a sickness, and the only answer is more V-4!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Sweet - glad you stayed in the VFR family. Ducati's definitely ooze sex appeal, but it seems to wear off faster than the miles pile up. The VFR seems the opposite - the more you ride it the more you like it. Nice find.

• Member Contributer

Don't sell your 4th gen just yet. Once the honeymoon is over, you'll see that there's a place for both.

Congrats on a great find though. 2k isn't even broken in.

Seriously my heart was racing when I saw that ad at 3:30 a.m.

I knew that that was the bike. I emailed him, and told him flat out, I'm buying it, I'll be there saturday.

The day before I arrived some guy offered him $5k to sell it out from under me to him. He was gonna pick it up that day, luckily, the owner said no.

It's funny, he said that his neighbor has a VFR1200, and that when he mentioned he was gonna let his bike go, his neighbor said, "There will be 2 types of buyers that will approach you. One will come and not understand the V-4, it's history, or the technology in the bike. He will test ride it, and then come back and try to low-ball you, taking it for granted.

The other will not ask any questions. He knows everything about the bike. He will pay your asking price and ride off within 15 minutes."

I was that guy. Hehe.

• Member Contributer

Super deal , I always loved the Gen 6. Hard to imagine the owner only putting 2K on such a great ride!? When I bought the Gen 7 I considered selling my Gen 4 too. Couldn't get enough for her to overcome my guilt and the thought of somebody else riding her. Decided it best to make room for 'em both. Glad I did. You might too.

• Member Contributer

THIS thread makes me HAPPY! Congrats man!

Do your due diligence and give it a loving, caressing once-over... then ride the blistering shit out of it!

Even matches your leather pajamas! I'm impressed!

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the new ride! It's funny, I fell in love with the 1st Gen when it first came out but never acquired a VFR until 2 years after the last year 6 Gen was released, then after riding one for a little less than 2 years, I ended up buying a 5 Gen! Although I was a Ducatisti before I was a VFR owner, my screen name and VFR to Duc ratio kind says which way I'm leaning now. These bikes have an addictive property to them I think.

Congrats on getting the Anniversary Edition & at a steal of a price! The first few weeks I had my 6th gen, I was afraid I had made a mistake. Now that I have done some simple corrections and put 850 miles on her in the past week, the love is coming!

Best post this week. (just piped the guy with knobbies)

Quote of the week "I have a sickness, and the only answer is more V-4!!!!!!!"

I feel exactly the same way, I have a Gen6 and just bought a Gen5.

2 x V4 = 2 x happiness.

3 x V4 = 9 x happiness. Its exponential. :cheerleader: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the new bike, and try to keep the 4th gen, the exhaust alone is worth more than you can sell the bike for......

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Congrats! The RWB does the same to me. I just sit and stare at it sometimes, its so beautiful. For what you saved on the Ducati, you can deck the VFR out to your heart's content and still have spent less!

It was the little things that made this purchase/decision.

Every bike I have ridden the past 2 years has never made me want to own it. Every bike either had build quality quirks, not as smooth, too dull, too uncomfortable, etc...

I was always happy to be back on my own bike. It felt like home.

When I rode the Duc, it was weird. You are right behind the dash, like whoa. The turbulent wind blast right at my helmet made all the noise above 30 mph--no engine noise, nothing. It sucked riding it because I could never hear it. The shifter was awkward and rubbery, brake pedal was underneath clutch cover and hard to get at, the mirrors kept vibrating themselves loose. Oh yeah, almost forgot, that Corbin seat SUCKED A FAT ONE. Hard as a brick and slick as snot. Everytime you would brake you were thrown against the back of the tank. Yeah, not a satisfying experience.

The engine was nice though, liked to wheelie. Who doesn't like to do that? Hehe.

Now, riding the 6th gen, oh yes, was lovely. The shifter 'snicks' into gear like a well lubed rifle, it idles flawlessly, suuuuper smooth. I love the dash. The seat is comfy enough. DAT PAINTJOB. The stock suspension is great. Really. Like holy crap. I'll get a rear shock from Jamie but those forks rock. Enough said.

I thought my 4th gen had predictable handling, but this bike--it knows when you want to turn. And just flows into the turn with minimal effort. I don't have to fight it like my 4th gen. Ol' Bessie always wants to stand up, that's after upgrades and preload setting and forks being dropped 10mm.

Granted, i think the 4th gen is a little quicker, because of the mods. It also makes alot more fast noises. Kinda like an old CRX compared to an Acura TSX which the 6th gen is.

Anyway I have Tech Spec tank pads on now and am awaiting install of some BT-016's this week, set preload, oil change, then I'm gonna really put her through her paces.

Oh, and John, you're right! They do match my pajamas! Best part!

I know someone else that was eyeballing that RWb. Looks like you scooped it from him enforce he could get to it. Nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I did the same thing. It was time for my 4th gen to go and I was eyeballing the new Ninja 1000 with the hard bags. A few calls for insurance quotes turned me around and I found an '07 shortly afterward. I miss the gear driven cam whine and my D&D pipe but this 6th gen is marvelous. - especially after recently doing the pair and flapper valve disconnect and snorkle removal. Good decision Rob!

If you know of another person... than there were 3 people related to this thread that wanted that bike... :)

I saw it last week and made a point of showing it to my wife about 2x per day until we left for the beach. Now I come home and she (the bike, not the wife) is sold. I'm just happy it went to someone who REALLY appreciates these bikes!

I know someone else that was eyeballing that RWb. Looks like you scooped it from him enforce he could get to it. Nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Oh now you have me wanting one. Every new bike I have bought since my 5th gen has met the fate of being compared to it and found wanting. Magazines don't throw out terms like "The Perfect Motorcycle" very often. Does so much so well its hard to justify owning a Second bike. Unless it's a V4.

• Member Contributer

You're killin me Rob! I contacted the seller just after you did and he told me someone had committed on it and would be picking it up Saturday. I told him to let me know if you didn't show up. Why did you show up? :sad2:

OHHHHHHHHHHHH so you were that guy.

Hehe, sorry.

You guys are makin me feel bad, how I got this awesome, beautiful, refined, legendary Honda motorcycle instead of you well qualified individuals.

Oh well, I hit VTEC today and it was all like BRRAPPPPPP, BRAAAAPPPPPPP, BRAAAAAAAaaaaaaaapppppp......

• Member Contributer

OHHHHHHHHHHHH so you were that guy.

Hehe, sorry.

You guys are makin me feel bad, how I got this awesome, beautiful, refined, legendary Honda motorcycle instead of you well qualified individuals.

Oh well, I hit VTEC today and it was all like BRRAPPPPPP, BRAAAAPPPPPPP, BRAAAAAAAaaaaaaaapppppp......

Yep. If you decide you hate it, let me know. :beer:

• Member Contributer

4500$ for that bike is a steal! Well done! It is one of the best color schemes on any bike I've seen.

Archived