But Why? Who's Going To Buy One? Nobody.

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

Ok dudes. I've got one! Strap agrees with me. It's a totally different ride with almost unchanged ergonomics. Moving the radiators, integrating the turn signals, and dropping 40 lbs has made a huge difference in handling!

Much lighter inputs than the dying 6th gen I traded for it. Being a woman I'm not as big as most of you guys. I've got long legs so I'm happy to ride with the seat at the high setting, but I don't have as much weight to counterbalance. This bike is closer in handling to my light little flickable sv650 than my old 6th gen.

Much sportier than the 6th without the linked brakes. For you Ricky racers you can really get on the binders diving into a turn.

Feel free to ask more question about my new ride. I'll be happy to answer. Oh andI put over 800 miles on him the first 4 days!

Yes, I have a question: What does getting on the binders mean??

I'm a "yank" but I'm pretty sure "getting on the binders" means applying the brakes (binders being the calipers)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Apparently no one is going to buy the standard white model in my local Honda dealer, it's been sitting there for about 6 months. It's not like there's not a couple million people in the local area...

Then again, they've got one of these on the showroom floor and I'd bet it's going to be sitting there a whole lot longer than the VFR. Those rear trunks can fit about 2 small sandwiches, if you hold the lettuce. One of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, my opinion only. :wacko:

nm4_12971_1055matte_black_front.png?Crop

• Member Contributer

Apparently no one is going to buy the standard white model in my local Honda dealer, it's been sitting there for about 6 months. It's not like there's not a couple million people in the local area...

Then again, they've got one of these on the showroom floor and I'd bet it's going to be sitting there a whole lot longer than the VFR. Those rear trunks can fit about 2 small sandwiches, if you hold the lettuce. One of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, my opinion only. :wacko:

nm4_12971_1055matte_black_front.png?Crop

youre NOT alone!!!

iobarf.gifbarf.gif

• Member Contributer

I swear I thought I've seen that bike before but couldn't remember where! Then it hit me: I pulled down the Funk and Wagnalls and looked in the F's, and there it was under "Fugly".

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure what's getting in to the heads of the styling departments these days. Time was when I used to eagerly await the new models knowing that I'd be drooling when I walked in to the dealer. I was almost giddy with excitement the day I bought my 5th gen. I thought Honda did a nice job on the Goldwings, even the ST's and the other manufacturers also made attractive bikes. They had flowing lines and stylish curves and things seemed to naturally fit together. These days I feel like I'm going to say "now what?" when I see the new ones and have to somehow "learn to like it". The new VFR is one exception - I do find it attractive. But generally bike styling has been going down a path that has left me less than excited. It's like they're trying too hard to be "edgy". Maybe it's like music - each generation has its tastes and things change leaving the prior generations behind. Or maybe it's just me . . . dunno. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure what's getting in to the heads of the styling departments these days.

I asked the salesperson what the engineers in Japan were smoking because I wanted some.

Underpowered 700, front bodywork/mirrors wide as a truck, luggage storage literally smaller than the glove box on my Corolla, and it's chain driven, with about 3" chain exposed from the body work. How do you ever clean & lube that? Sitting on it feels like relaxing back in a hot tub while Robocop is giving you a innapropriate reach around. Then the guy asked if I'd like to try the Fury! :comp13:

OTOH, the 300's, 500's and 650's are nice looking bikes for those particular market segments. Honda does seem like they're trying to cover all the bases with the current lineup. Still not Crosstourer or Crossrunner though.

OK. I'll finish my sentence. I have built my 6th Gen into a better/lighter motorcycle than Honda has built with this "new" motorcycle, and for less money. Unless you can argue my mods are inferior to the Honda package. I would like to hear you argue that.

• Member Contributer

OK. I'll finish my sentence. I have built my 6th Gen into a better/lighter motorcycle than Honda has built with this "new" motorcycle, and for less money. Unless you can argue my mods are inferior to the Honda package. I would like to hear you argue that.

Yes, okay, we get it. If you buy a used bike and do the labor, you can save some money. If only Honda engineering knew all they had to do to make the new 8th gen better was to go buy all the 6th gen's back at used prices and upgrade the suspension, and then resell them as new bikes.

Also, you should give us a write-up on your traction control system installation.

You also forgot about the anti-lock brake installation, LED headlights, taillights, heated grips, front mounted radiators, new more narrow body profile from the new fairings, new paint, shift indicator, bronze colored engine covers, bronze colored 10 spoke hollow cast wheels, radial mounted monobloc calipers, new redesigned SSSA, aluminum sub-frame, and a load of other features while your at it. By the time your all done it will cost alot more, and in the end your bike will still be a used 6th gen bike with more mileage on it.

Traction control on a < 100 hp motorcycle is hardly necessary . . .

SHvar, if you rode my 6th Gen you would want it. It doesn't have that power/torque dip at the VTEC 4-valve actuation. The new one does.

Mine also has CZ alloy wheels, Ohlins shock, GP fork respring/revalve, Galfer rotors, Leo Vince carbon cans, Power Commander and dynotune, custom seat, Speedo Healer. No new color, shift indicator, LED headlights, though . . .

SHvar, if you rode my 6th Gen you would want it. It doesn't have that power/torque dip at the VTEC 4-valve actuation. The new one does.

I obviously turned down any used bikes available because I bought my 8th gen back in June, in fact I found my bike long before it came in, then put a deposit on it weeks before it showed up. So no I wouldnt want yours or any other used bike.

By the way there is no difference that you can feel in the VTEC transition (at least in mine), you can hear it though.

Traction control like the anti-lock brakes, so far I havent needed it (that i know of), but its there if the situation arises.

• Member Contributer

Alaskan- I don't see where you have actually ridden one of the new gen bikes to be able to give any comparison beyond stats.

Engine is kinda-sorta like the one designed around the turn of the Millennium. I think I can guess, based on the magazines' charts . . . the ones that show the fatal "flat spot" at 4-valive actuation . . .

Of course, that can be completely corrected by a skilled dyno tuner.

Traction control is ESSENTIAL on a motorcycle that makes less than 100 hp and 55 torque. COUNT ON IT!

But I see I am talking to folks who have drunk the Kool-Aid. Out.

How do I stop following this "topic"?

Engine is kinda-sorta like the one designed around the turn of the Millennium. I think I can guess, based on the magazines' charts . . . the ones that show the fatal "flat spot" at 4-valive actuation . . .

Of course, that can be completely corrected by a skilled dyno tuner.

Traction control is ESSENTIAL on a motorcycle that makes less than 100 hp and 55 torque. COUNT ON IT!

But I see I am talking to folks who have drunk the Kool-Aid. Out.

No need to be silly, the points you bring up are entirely valid. The wheels I'm not familiar with so we will leave their cost from the equation. How much did all your other mods cost & how many hours of labour did you put in? If we are to debate the relative merits of a tweaked used bike over a new version those numbers are central to the argument.

Yes the engine in the 8th is no better than your early 6th with its Dyno tune & power Commander.

I suspect the traction control is possibly redundant on a 100hp/240kg bike, well on a dry track day at least. On a midwinter night, in the rain that equation will change.

The LED lights may outperform the 6th gen lights, but as the 6th Gen lights were hardly shabby I'll call that evens.

So lets be having itā€¦ how much have you spent modding your 6th Gen?

• Member Contributer

Go sit in your winter cabin and unplug from the grid? :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't kept the receipts, but I bet I have spent about $7000 on mods. And quite a few hours of labor. Changing the shock was not very much fun . . .

• 3 months later...

Well I guess I am a "Nobody", traded in my '03 on a slightly used '14 Deluxe with panniers and quick shifter., and love it. Everything the 6th gen was but better. Styling, fit and finish are superb. Handling gives a lot more confidence. I put most of the mods on the 6th gen and was contemplating a suspension upgrade in the spring. Just couldn't see putting more money into it, it had dings and scratches from PO's, front forks were pitted from road debris. It ran fine, but was in need of the 32K service on the valves. I rationalized it was better to start fresh with a bike that was spotless and could own for many years, rather than pouring money into a 12 year old bike. Very pleased I did. Can not believe all the negative comments about a newer version of the bikes we all love.

• Member Contributer

I wish I could see one in person.

Come by my local dealer, there's a white one, the only one they've ever received, that's been sitting there for 9 months or so.

Whelp, they're NZ$22,000 here. That's US$16280. That's because there's just one company here that imports them, so they're a monopoly, and they don't give a crap about their customers. Spares are not kept in stock (all need to be ordered from Japan.) That's why 2 years ago I bought a new car instead of a replacement bike.

• Member Contributer

Whelp, they're NZ$22,000 here. That's US$16280. That's because there's just one company here that imports them, so they're a monopoly, and they don't give a crap about their customers. Spares are not kept in stock (all need to be ordered from Japan.) That's why 2 years ago I bought a new car instead of a replacement bike.

Even here in NYC spares still have to find their way from a warehouse three thousand miles away and still on occasion, Japan.

I wish I could see one in person.

Come by my local dealer, there's a white one, the only one they've ever received, that's been sitting there for 9 months or so.

My local dealer has moved a few but not the one he has on the floor, because it's not a deluxe. D'OH!

Without having read through every post in this forum - why is there a thought that no one would buy these? I've had guys jump off their bikes onto mine, and comment how great the VFR handles. (09 / 6th Gen). Why would people choose not to continue to purchase VFR's in the future? Is there an alternative out there that beats the reliability and handling for a lighter (Sub 1L) sports tourer?

If I wrote off my bike, this would have been the first bike I would have considered going to the shops to see. (I admit I haven't had a huge experience riding other bikes - I'm mainly going by what my friends have said when they've tried my bike out).

Archived