But Why? Who's Going To Buy One? Nobody.

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

So here is our answer... Why would Honda bring it here? I really don't think anyone's going to buy one. It just seems like a step backwards to me and wait for the price... at $12,499. A Deluxe model will also be available, priced at $13,499. Two colors are offered: Red and Pearl White. :wacko:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/04/2014-honda-interceptor-vfr800f-first-look-review-photos-specs/?cmpid=enews020614&spPodID=020&spMailingID=6093243&spUserID=NDA4NTQ3NDIyMzIS1&spJobID=380457360&spReportId=MzgwNDU3MzYwS0

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I wouldn't call it backward since I never thought of the 7th gen 1200 as a VFR in the first place. The 7th gen was clearly aimed at the extra large sized BMW sport touring market anyway. That has nothing to do with the sportier roots of the VFR. I'm not saying that the 7th gen isn't a nice piece of machinery, it just doesn't seem to have a relationship to the earlier VFRs. In my mind, this newer offering follows a closer path to the originals.

Now about that price issue... I'm hoping that this version's price point follows the 7th gen as well. That thing popped up at $15,999 to start with and within a short period of time guys on this site were bringing them home for $10k or less. My guess is that they'll rake in the big bucks on the guys that absolutely have to buy the latest, greatest thing on the floor and then the price will simmer down to a reasonable amount.

I think we would all like a super light weight 1000cc with a cargo trailer capacity luggage system but in real life.....I say the VFR is back.

• Member Contributer

I dug out the paperwork for my 09 800. MSRP for that was 14,699. New bike MSRP is 14,499 here. 200 less and you get heated grips, gear indicator, tc, updated (and hopefully better) fuelling and adjustable seat.

New pricing is consistent with old pricing, will probably get discounted at the end of the year.

• Member Contributer

I dug out the paperwork for my 09 800. MSRP for that was 14,699. New bike MSRP is 14,499 here. 200 less and you get heated grips, gear indicator, tc, updated (and hopefully better) fuelling and adjustable seat.

New pricing is consistent with old pricing, will probably get discounted at the end of the year.

I am sure you are correct but what this illustrates to me more than anything is that your guys behind the Maple Curtain get screwed.

The leftover '08s were selling for a legit $7500 here albeit in 2010-2011...so looking at it from that standpoint, carryover engine and new plastics - push.

Different ABS system - push.

New radial mounted -non-linked brakes - WIN

Traction Control Light (uses the ABS instead of full system or switch on the fly mapping) - win (lower case win but still a win).

Fully Adjustable suspension but traditional RSU forks - win.

Adjustable seat - win if you are short for me it is a "Meh"

Less sexy exhaust - lose

Lighter weight - kinda sketchy way to get there but WIN (unless you get the Deluxe model and then it looks like a push)

So not enough wins adding up to the significant price increase from the last time this frame and engine was offered in North America.

But Hondas are generally more than the sum of their parts so I will reserve judgment until Southern Powersports has one to throw a leg over and test in May...

• Member Contributer

I guess my point is: Is anybody going to buy one...? Has anyone in Europe bought one? Anyone on the board... I guess I'm a little bias. I have owned two 6th gens and currently on the VFR 1200 & love it. So those who are bashing the 1200, have you ridden one?

• Member Contributer

If it had gear driven cams, and no V-tec I would be interested. But the V-tec is a "no deal" for me, and I've never been very fond of the styling after the '99 models. Too swoopy, futuristic, whatever, just didn't ring my chimes.

This one doesn't look too bad. But I'm waaaay too cheap to spend that kind of money on a bike. Heck I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money on a car. LOL

• Member Contributer

I guess what's happening at Honda is they are driving away it's customers. I'm seriously thinking that I've bought my last Honda and I have four in the garage. I really do Love the ones I have but if Honda keeps regurgitating this from 15 year old technology then it's time to move on. And if the poor sales don't give them a freaking clue, then they are already doomed! RIP Honda as we know it.

• Member Contributer

I guess what's happening at Honda is they are driving away it's customers. I'm seriously thinking that I've bought my last Honda and I have four in the garage. I really do Love the ones I have but if Honda keeps regurgitating this from 15 year old technology then it's time to move on. And if the poor sales don't give them a freaking clue, then they are already doomed! RIP Honda as we know it.

People have been saying this since Soichiro died...I kinda think that Honda have made the right decision here when viewed on the whole, the global economy does not currently justify an enormous outlay of R&D (as they did with the clean sheet design of the VFR1200 just before the meltdown.) for a niche bike.

I guess it's just that with the passionate owners group that the VFR has many here feel that we could have put together a parts bin bike that meets or exceed this "new" VFR.

• Member Contributer

I, for one, think Honda was smart to reintroduce the "new" bike. They were loosing sales to folks like me who didn't want the larger 1200 shaft drive. (Even though i know it's a good bike!). And the updated version has good features although i like the lines of the 6th gen better.

It took me most of last summer to find a clean 2006 VFR and I could have been swayed into the new version if it had been available.

• Member Contributer

So here is our answer... Why would Honda bring it here? I really don't think anyone's going to buy one. It just seems like a step backwards to me and wait for the price... at $12,499. A Deluxe model will also be available, priced at $13,499. Two colors are offered: Red and Pearl White. :wacko:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/04/2014-honda-interceptor-vfr800f-first-look-review-photos-specs/?cmpid=enews020614&spPodID=020&spMailingID=6093243&spUserID=NDA4NTQ3NDIyMzIS1&spJobID=380457360&spReportId=MzgwNDU3MzYwS0

You bought a Twelve, and people asked the same question when it came out............... I hope lots of people buy them, and the 1k upgrade to the Deluxe is a bargain for what you get... IMHO

All the "I would never pay that much for a new bike" and "I would just get a good used (?) gen" guys should also be very happy if it sells well. No good used bikes if there are no New bike sales....

Big thanks to the folks that bought my 97 and my 98 new, even though they were over priced ;)

• Member Contributer

I guess my point is: Is anybody going to buy one...? Has anyone in Europe bought one? Anyone on the board... I guess I'm a little bias. I have owned two 6th gens and currently on the VFR 1200 & love it. So those who are bashing the 1200, have you ridden one?

I didn't bash it. I said it is a great machine but in my opinion as well as a few others here, Honda lost sight of the VFR roots with the 7th gen and I still stand by that statement.

• Member Contributer

I am with FJ12Ryder (another great bike by the way). I believe the 5th gen to be the best gen. I know the cam gears can irritate some guys with the Singer SOng, but the 5th is lighter, simpler, and more consistent in power delivery. The 1200 was misguided attempt, again in my opinion. I would love to see a 1000 version of the fifth gen that focused more on grunt say....75 lbs. of torque and 110hp....and luggage options. I would take a loan out for something like that.

Honda's mo has gone a bit askew. I too would rather go in Aprilia direction for my next v-four.....if I can't find another 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

I think Honda will sell more '14 VFR800s than 1200s by a decent amount. The 1200 was more of a niche bike to compete against the super sport tourers. The new 800 is more familiar to everyone, and you know how everyone hates change. Though the front only has rebound, not damping. If you're going to make a brand new front end, why skimp out. Or at least with the Deluxe version, offer to change the springs to suit the rider.

• Member Contributer

But Hondas are generally more than the sum of their parts so I will reserve judgment until Southern Powersports has one to throw a leg over and test in May...

This man understands.

The VFR has never been a champion in the spec sheet olympics. It's the bike that you ride once and just know that it's better. To prejudge the new model before riding it makes you daft.

I always thought the front end of the 5th gens looked really cool. The tail... not so much. I like how the headlights resemble the 5th gen and the tail is nice and slim.

If I had the money, I don't know if I'd trade my 7th gen in for the new 800 though... Less power and back to a messy chain... but I will have to reserve judgement until I ride one. It might make a good bike for the old lady... if I could ever get her on a sportier bike.

• Member Contributer

This man understands.

The VFR has never been a champion in the spec sheet olympics. It's the bike that you ride once and just know that it's better. To prejudge the new model before riding it makes you daft.

Daft huh...? If you didn't notice, I was asking if anyone has one to give us the review and Yes I've owned two 6th gens one with ABS and one without... The only thing that seems to be new on this is plastic and where Honda put the pipe... This bike is not new to me... And no need for any name calling.

• Member Contributer

The only thing that seems to be new on this is plastic and where Honda put the pipe..

That's not true, not even in the slightest.

• Member Contributer

According to the Progressive Motorcycle Shoe email update I received today for this weekends Chicago show Honda will be unveiling the new VFR800....

I like the new bike -- to me it's a return to what the VFR should be. My problem is that it just isn't different enough from my '99 to justify the buy in. If they'd made it an 840 (probably fairly easy to do -- there are/were big bore kits) with 115-120 hp and ~70 ft lb of torque in the same package I'd be all over it.

• Member Contributer

I too used to love the twin undertail exhaust on my 6th gen...

Until I got this:

2013-05-01103911_zpsad000cee.jpg

I have to agree the 1200 has grown on me and can be a sexy tourer. It really may fit my touring needs more than an updated 5th/8th gen. As long as I have my original 5g too.

• Member Contributer

I didn't like the looks or think the 6th gen much of an improvement over the 5th gen. Yet alot of people bought them and the looks have more than grown on me. I think they are dead sexy. I think the 1200 style is growing on me too. I actually like the newest VFR800 but I think Honda knows it's hard to move us VFR guys off our current VFR models. It annoys me about the prices and the centerstand now being an option instead of standard. It's a peice of stamped pig iron and the mounting points are already on the bikes. I use mine constantly. Must be the car company influence marketing different option packages. What evs. I am seeing some lightly used 7th gen 1200's going for low prices. Gets me thinking about how annoying chain maintenance is. That Dam exhaust looks nice on it too. BTW

Archived