But Why? Who's Going To Buy One? Nobody.

crazybrother

Honda isn't going to make a front line sporting v4. The unfortunate cam problems of the early VF series were not the only things that turned off buyers. The Ninja 600 & 900 were far more popular and folks loved the simpler I4 arrangement and the full race look of the faired ninja's. As much as honda tried to dominate the world with v4 powered bikes in the 80's it was the I4 powered ninjas that actually sold well. Honda quickly brought the hurricane 600 & 1000 I4's to market, predecessor to the cbr series to capture some of Kawasaki's thunder. The VF series became the VFR, a heavier sport touring machine that found a consistent low volume following. The 2014 vfr continues the trend, it's not a sport bike but still a nice machine that given its mission is just fine as is.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Honda isn't going to make a front line sporting v4. The unfortunate cam problems of the early VF series were not the only things that turned off buyers. The Ninja 600 & 900 were far more popular and folks loved the simpler I4 arrangement and the full race look of the faired ninja's. As much as honda tried to dominate the world with v4 powered bikes in the 80's it was the I4 powered ninjas that actually sold well. Honda quickly brought the hurricane 600 & 1000 I4's to market, predecessor to the cbr series to capture some of Kawasaki's thunder. The VF series became the VFR, a heavier sport touring machine that found a consistent low volume following. The 2014 vfr continues the trend, it's not a sport bike but still a nice machine that given its mission is just fine as is.

I am sure John Ashmead is very interested in hearing your take about how the 1986 VFR750F that he won the Daytona 200 on as a privateer in in 1989 against all the I4s (most of them newer than the VFR due to the 2 year model update life cycle required to be competitive in the RR class) was a "VFR, a heavier sport touring machine" and not a "front line sporting machine" just as you state.

Can anyone here imagine if Honda had merely mirrored Suzuki's development of the GSXR750 over the past (almost) 30 years?

That being said, I am looking for the successor to the RC30/RC45 as Honda did decide that it would go in a lower manufacturing cost direction with the CBR series to carry the Honda flag into production racing series the world over.

• Member Contributer

Can anyone here imagine if Honda had merely mirrored Suzuki's development of the GSXR750 over the past (almost) 30 years?

Exactly! The GSXR750 just won the Cycleworld shootout against the new Ducati 899 and MV F3.... they stubbornly have refused to kill it, and it's paid dividends for decades!

• Member Contributer

you think the sport bike guys of today have a CLUE about what happened 30 years ago??

most cant even tell you the name of the vice president from 10 years ago!

I am sure John Ashmead is very interested in hearing your take about how the 1986 VFR750F that he won the Daytona 200 on as a privateer in in 1989 against all the I4s (most of them newer than the VFR due to the 2 year model update life cycle required to be competitive in the RR class) was a "VFR, a heavier sport touring machine" and not a "front line sporting machine" just as you state.

That being said, I am looking for the successor to the RC30/RC45 as Honda did decide that it would go in a lower manufacturing cost direction with the CBR series to carry the Honda flag into production racing series the world over.

Now let's see, a moment of glory versus showroom sales and profits. The v4 is a great design and all and it may have won a few battles but it's extremely clear to me the I4 sportbikes won the war. Yes I would tell John Ashmead the same simple truth as well, to his face, with a written transcript and braile if needed.

l

• Member Contributer

Now let's see, a moment of glory versus showroom sales and profits. The v4 is a great design and all and it may have won a few battles but it's extremely clear to me the I4 sportbikes won the war. Yes I would tell John Ashmead the same simple truth as well, to his face, with a written transcript and braile if needed.

l

yeah.. the companies marketed the I4.. thats all. every kid thats 12 and up wants a v4 ducati.

cheaper crap breaks faster ,needs to be replaced faster. its all about the $$$

yes, honda makes awesome stuff. and will always out last the competition but race bikes are toys to go fast and get trashed. .

• Member Contributer

you think the sport bike guys of today have a CLUE about what happened 30 years ago??

What? He not only invented the WWW but also designed the 1st V4???

Wow................

:goofy:

PS "your" man has just landed in NL. You want him back?

He will visit Amsterstam too, will he do a 420 you think??

Hmmmmmm I keep humming Wagner.......

post-8974-0-84409400-1395649460.jpg

• Member Contributer

What? He not only invented the WWW but also designed the 1st V4???

Wow................

PS "your" man has just landed in NL. You want him back?

He will visit Amsterstam too, will he do a 420 you think??

:mellow2:

ten years ago...

the war profiteer..

the anti gay guy with a lesbian daughter

the dude who shot his "best friend " in the face.

:blink:

dick cheney..

:ph34r:

Al Gore never claimed to have invented the Internet.

What he DID was stand up continuously to support and fund it. Without him we would not have the Internet as it is today. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Ah yes....... Cheney! Let me put my Eminem record on! :-)

Al Gore never claimed to have invented the Internet.

What he DID was stand up continuously to support and fund it. Without him we would not have the Internet as it is today. :fing02:

For the record his actual quote was

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. "

• Member Contributer

That's funny. Because I've had two 6th gens. 2005,and 2006 with ABS really liked them both until the 06 was sold. Then came across a killer deal on my 1200 and it's much more than my 6th gens could ever be. I guess to each his own. I don't think the VFR will ever be a popular bike but that's OK with me. I will always love the V four engine, no matter what.

• Member Contributer

my local dealer will get the 1st delivered in 4 weeks.

• Member Contributer

Kind of hard to buy one and ride it if they are not even in the dealerships for another month, I guess

• Member Contributer

I think, they've been out in Europe for a couple of months now... But not sure. i can't wait to hear a ride review... Is it really any different than the 6th gen, better...? Would love to hear from one of us who have actually owned one and not just from the magazine editors... Who in my opinion are very bias anyway. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

That's funny. Because I've had two 6th gens. 2005,and 2006 with ABS really liked them both until the 06 was sold. Then came across a killer deal on my 1200 and it's much more than my 6th gens could ever be. I guess to each his own. I don't think the VFR will ever be a popular bike but that's OK with me. I will always love the V four engine, no matter what.

Yep, my guess most of that stuff is folks who haven't ridden one. The power alone is worth the upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I didnt like it at first. I still think the 6th gens are better looking.

I love the vtec. I have no problem with it at all.

I bought my 04 in 06 as a leftover. I got it for 7K usd.

My boss got his a lattle later for 6k usd.

I expect the same will happen for the new bike. I laugh at the price but all bikes are more costly now. Look at the cb1100, 10 garnd is a joke.

I will buy one in 2 years for 40,60% percent cheaper. I really dont think it will sell well,

I do listen to the gsxr crowd and am amazed with their comments. Everyone comment I have heard is that it looks awesome.

I really like that its narrow. The wheels, brakes, swingarm, top triple clamp are gorgeous.

However after an undertail exhaust everything else sticks out like a sore thumb.

I was at my dealers on Saturday to pick up my new 1200, and there were 3 new 800's on the floor. They were all sold.

My modified 2004 is a better motorcycle. $4200 purchase price plus mods still comes in cheaper than this "new" motorcycle . . .

Im waiting on my new red deluxe model 2014 VFR800 to arrive at the dealership, another few weeks, I put a deposit on it recently and got my (original owner from the same dealership) 2000 CBR600F4 appraised for a trade in.

Just bought one ! love at first sight. Was ready to upgrade my bike when this came out

Well it is like this:

• Need a bike that can load a bit of luggage on, to take on long weekends and touring trips with a tent and some gubbins
  • BMW adventure bikes are enormous, and expensive.
  • I do not need a 1200cc bike with 12 inches of ground clearance and semi nobbly tires. I will not be going the "Long Way Round"
  • I want a bike that is smart looking to be proud of, light, powerfull enough, a few modern gadgets (without auto tyre control suspension gadgets that just add cost).
  • A bike with a low slung exhaust (rules out a Triumph Speed Triple) to make it easier to carry throw over luggage.
  • A sporty 800cc is big enough (looked at the Kawasaki GTR 1400 which will do nearly 200 mph !)
  • Manageable and fits me - do not want to be wearing a pair of shoes three sizes too big !
  • Bargain price for what it is.

This thing ticks these boxes and it looks gorgeous, corners a dream. Lovely, a thing of beauty.

Just happened to be an older version in the bike park on a day out.

14340240905_7fea5a4124_c.jpgPair of VFRs by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Archived