Australian MCN reporting Honda V4 Dual Sport for 2012

TexOz

• Member Contributer

Sorry guys/gals - I couldn't find a soft copy link/pic but AMCN (Australia's favourite bike magazine) is reporting that a V4 will be the beating heart of Honda's replacement to the Varadero in the 2012 timeframe. It's been named the V4X by the magazine.

It's ostensibly aimed squarely at the Duc MS and BMW 1200GS market and from the artist's impression picture in the magazine it looks good too. Think single sided swing-arm F800GS meets Varadero. The Varadero looks have never really "squeezed my lemons" but I reckon they've made some nice changes to get it right!

The article doesn't say what capacity but can we assume that they're not gunna tool-up for a different sized V4 motor? So let's say it'll be a 1200 (just a guess)!

Thank the good Lord - a possible Honda V4 alternative to the VFR1200F!! Not that there's anything significantly wrong with the 7th Gen - it's just not my thing! I've been lusting after a Duc MS or a F800GS and now something which allows me to stay true to Honda's famed build quality and our precious V4 motor configuration! :cheerleader:

And I can stay a member of VFRD for another 10-15 years! Sorry everyone - you're stuck with me! :happy:

• Member Contributer

I suppose they'll also give us a V4 chopper, Civic and jet ski before they finally get around to building a new V4 sport machine. :dry: :dry:

Funny you should mention it ... my local dealer was saying just the other day that he reckons Honda will be releasing more and more V4 configured bikes in the future (including a Blade replacement!). He's just a local Honda dealer but based on this latest development (the V4X) maybe he's on to something? :mellow:

I suppose they'll also give us a V4 chopper, Civic and jet ski before they finally get around to building a new V4 sport machine. :dry: :dry:

If they gave you a new V4 sport bike, what would you build for yourself? :happy:

If they gave you a new V4 sport bike, what would you build for yourself? :happy:

A pit crew! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

reporting that a V4 will be the beating heart of Honda's replacement to the Varadero in the 2012 timeframe. It's been named the V4X by the magazine.

With shaft drive?

reporting that a V4 will be the beating heart of Honda's replacement to the Varadero in the 2012 timeframe. It's been named the V4X by the magazine.

With shaft drive?

If so, potential GS killer there... provided Honda centers the mass low enough to not inhibit off road ability.

• Member Contributer

A pit crew! :goofy:

you've already started on that.

• Member Contributer

Why can't we get a Trans-Alp in the states,anyway??

If you have read my posts about really bad German quality v big red quality you know I could dig something else red that will let me travel down the paths not taken.

That pic above this post is UGLY.

The more I see of these big, overweight "Adventure" bikes, the more I'm convinced that they are the two wheeled version of SUVs. There's just so much of this accessory horse, Off-road posing fantasy. Just leave it to the rich BMW GS guys to populate this niche Honda, I don't think we really need more of this.....Heck, I bet I put more off-road miles on my puny XL100 when I was a kid than most of the people that ride these Adventure bikes..............JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The more I see of these big, overweight "Adventure" bikes, the more I'm convinced that they are the two wheeled version of SUVs. There's just so much of this accessory horse, Off-road posing fantasy. Just leave it to the rich BMW GS guys to populate this niche Honda, I don't think we really need more of this.....Heck, I bet I put more off-road miles on my puny XL100 when I was a kid than most of the people that ride these Adventure bikes..............JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

Couldn't agree more. Ewan Macgregor wannabe's riding unreliable and very poor quality-build bikes they paid a lot of money for having fallen for BMW's marketing.

I've ridden a BMW F800S, and it's no VFR, and whilst there was a certain fun-factor to the 1200GS, it's neither reliable enough nor well built enough for me to even consider it (and that engine sucks). If you want off road, buy an off-roader, if you want a sports-tourer buy a sports-tourer.

• Member Contributer

With shaft drive?

They've just got the one little pic of the right side of the bike - I can't actually see a chain but with the lack of detail it's harder to pick than a broken nose!

The article itself is only a coupla speculative paragraphs and doesn't mention final drive.

• Member Contributer

I like the idea of a big, somewhat dirt capable bike, the BMW'r is just too expensive for my tastes. While a KLR would probably meet my desires just fine I'd like to have the MS or a new Honda V4 equivalent, even the Aprilia, an off road version of the Tuono. No, they aren't MX bikes but occasional fire road machines that expand your riding horizon. With comfort and street performance included, in the MS's case at least. I drool over this MS S touring alsmost every day at work... :wub:

IMG_20100907_123350Medium.jpg

• Member Contributer

Maybe history is somewhat repeating itself? Honda came out with the V45 Sabre back in 82. Wasn`t too spectacular, wasn`t a sport bike, had shaft drive, questionable looks to some, a bit wallowy...

1983 on the other hand....

I'd be all over a big Honda Dual Sport along the lines of a GS. It's gonna have to be big, with wide bars, lots of power, larger than average ground clearance, crash bars, knuckle guards, tons of room in the saddlebags and have range. Otherwise, the GS is still next in line for me. Until then I'll keep abusing the VFR.

2113765590_f5c8f0d9be_o.jpg

773201775_3c99b642a1_o.jpg

3540661248_a6bf71b90f_o.jpg

3846238181_0482ef2c14_o.jpg

3400222402_7ce63ecf3d_o.jpg

3579595220_8baac33f65_o.jpg

Here's mike demonstrating there is only one way to get out of there...

http://www.youtube.com/user/lhsch#p/u/7/dMWtMS4bYmM

• Member Contributer

The DS version of the 1200 VFR is definitely coming. Aimed directly at the BMW 1200 GS market. A friend of mine saw (by mistake) the artists impression of it at the Honda dealers last year.

Yamaha have the 1200 Super Tenere with shaft drive & really good ABS. Also aimed directly at the GS. The GS is very popular in SA for riding the long gravel highways. BMWs are not as overpriced in SA as they are in the USA.

880596819_Nn6iD-L.jpg

It has a very vulnerable side mounted radiator. It has 2 fuel mapping settings - the mild one being very useful for technical riding. It also has 3 traction control settings - again this is useful for technical riding. A very good assessment of the bike here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=50530.0 Long thread about it here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=23116.1340 It has good photos on the last few pages but I can't post them here as they are incompatible with this software.

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

Couldn't agree more. Ewan Macgregor wannabe's riding unreliable and very poor quality-build bikes they paid a lot of money for having fallen for BMW's marketing.

I've ridden a BMW F800S, and it's no VFR, and whilst there was a certain fun-factor to the 1200GS, it's neither reliable enough nor well built enough for me to even consider it (and that engine sucks). If you want off road, buy an off-roader, if you want a sports-tourer buy a sports-tourer.

Two wheeled SUV - nice analogy. Except mates of mine that have owned these things (big Dual sports) have bought them not for bush-bashing but for use on our crappy, bumpy, unkempt, back roads in Oz. Believe me there's lots of sh1t roads in Australia!! So, in that respect, these big dual-sports open up heaps more alternative roads than are available to blokes like me on a road sports-tourers. Okay it's not a dirt bike but that's not what I would want anyway. If I'm only gunna own one or two bikes (not sure I could give up my 5th Gen) I'll take the SUV label on a DS if it's the cost of a better riding experience :happy:

Another bike not availible ever in the USA.

+1. Honda's track record in importing DS/adventure bikes is poor at best. I doubt the US will ever see a V4 adventure bike. Not that I can blame Big Red, really. The sales of such machines is probably less than 1% of all US motorcycle sales.

Seems like a lot of GS bashing on this thread. I've heard about a couple issues with the 1200s, but most owners love their bikes and put tons on miles on them.

My only issue with bikes like this is the seat height. My short legs prevent me from even considering an adventure bike.

• Member Contributer

spyshots of the magical dualsport have been unearthed:

batgirl_42.jpg

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Cue the cheesey Batman music "... nana nana nana nana she's got a flat man ..."

Anyway, I'm pleased to see she's BATGATT :laughing6-hehe:

Okay, I'll stop now - my apologies! :blush:

• Member Contributer

I like the idea of a big, somewhat dirt capable bike, the BMW'r is just too expensive for my tastes. While a KLR would probably meet my desires just fine I'd like to have the MS or a new Honda V4 equivalent, even the Aprilia, an off road version of the Tuono. No, they aren't MX bikes but occasional fire road machines that expand your riding horizon. With comfort and street performance included, in the MS's case at least. I drool over this MS S touring alsmost every day at work... :wub:

IMG_20100907_123350Medium.jpg

That's a sexy bike! Oh wait, there are a couple non red bikes in the background as well... :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

I dunno. I would get a GS if opportunity and necessity (beyond the normal MBD) arose. Loads of luggage, comfy, and they're actually pretty good through the corners. Sure, the quality isn't quite there, but not enough to keep me from ever buying one. A buddy bought a 650GS. Something went horribly wrong with the valve train, I believe. Took it back to a dealers, and they just slapped a new engine in the bike. Well, ok, it took them a month to get an engine from Bavaria, but they did it.

Yes it will never see the light of day in the US, actually there has not been a single bike from honda brought to the us of any interest to me except the vfr(5th gen) and the bird in the last 10 years), I like the 7th but it is way out of my league. PS the big "adv" type road bikes make the best all rounders for every day bikes if you basically live on the bike.

nomination for best all rounder(and it aint a honda or a bmw)

DSC00017.jpg

Archived