Do Hardley's try to wave you on?

Guest Toppers

Hell, we are lucky if a slower bike waves us past. There is such a macho thing going on in north, south carolina, and TN. . The cruiser riders will almost never wave a faster bike by no matter the brand. If they do it's on a blind corner.

Ran into a parade of about six this past weekend. These guys were doing 20 in a 45 and not wanting to let anyone by.

When I am the slower vehicle I will always pull off. It's more enjoyable and safer for both parties.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Dude tries to wave me past, we are going uphill on a double yellow. What am I supposed to do, pass him in our lane?

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do.

Motorcycle headlights are irritating because of the suspension movement they flash brighter and dimmer, that along with sport bikes 99% of the time wanting to pass, they get spooked. Just pass them and be happy they are considerate enough to let you by; some will actively try to prevent you from passing.

:laughing6-hehe:

Hell, we are lucky if a slower bike waves us past. There is such a macho thing going on in north, south carolina, and TN. . The cruiser riders will almost never wave a faster bike by no matter the brand. If they do it's on a blind corner.

Ran into a parade of about six this past weekend. These guys were doing 20 in a 45 and not wanting to let anyone by.

When I am the slower vehicle I will always pull off. It's more enjoyable and safer for both parties.

I ride solo most of the time, I also will stop if I know there's a nice section of road ahead of a slow mover, and I'll wait till I see something in my mirror than take off ahead of them. Usually I'll have the road to myself after that.

I reserve the right to not like someone on their own merits, not what they look like .... "Can't tell a book by it's cover"

• Member Contributer

SO, I guess that trucker has every right to now label all Sport Bike riders "VEEFdiots" or something similar now?

Sure he does; it is just human nature. Everyone makes generalizations and has prejudices, as much as we may try not to, it is unavoidable.

But in the very nature of this thread, (see topic) it is going the wrong way.

Instead of making a thread on "Stupid Riders who Wave people on", the OP had to go and label it a Harley Rider thread. Then, it was followed by fellow VFRers who were quick to do the same. A thread designed to make aware of a very dangerous act could have been more productive leaving out the smart "Hardley" comment. Yes, I am sure that people who ride Harleys are the ONLY ones who do this stupid act. /boggle

Example: I will use myself. I ride a Harley. I ride a VFR. None of you guys know me from a can of paint other than what is in my signature. If I pulled up to some rest stop or anywhere for that matter on my Harley in front of the OP or the others, based on his opinions and the opinions of others in this thread they would assume I am just some asshole who breaks the law and wants sport bike riders dead yada yada yada. HOWEVER, if one would not stereotype and not be quick to label, one would know that I am in fact, a fellow VFR rider and Dirtibike rider who enjoys all types of riding with all types of people.... AND I follow the rules of the road. (well almost :D)

I agree with you. IMO, the HD rider in the original post was being being courteous and respectful trying to let someone by, while the OP was acting like an ass.

If I see someone on a HD (any cruiser, actually. Unless I can see logos, I can't tell the difference between them) the only assumption I make is they are going to be going slow. 95% of people I have met on any and all brands and styles of motorcycle seem like decent people. I don't have a negative opinion of them until their actions warrant it, and I would assume most others feel the same way.

:excl: Jeremy is Minime, only taller and faster... :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

:laughing6-hehe: Lots of good stuff in this thread if you don't get bogged down and assume that someone is insulting you in particular.

In front of you they are an obstacle, behind you they are a missile.

• Member Contributer

:fing02: Lots of good stuff in this thread if you don't get bogged down and assume that someone is insulting you in particular.

Keith, I've ridden in front of you and it felt like the crosshairs of a JDAM were right on my azz..... :fing02: :laughing6-hehe:

BTW, I'm going to ride a crotch rocket this weekend and NOT WORRY ABOUT THE HOGLY DAVIDSONS. They may take it personal, but I'll be GONE..... :excl:

I don't care what kind of bike someone is riding. If they are in my lane and going slower than I am, I get by them as quickly and politely as possible. If it is a large group of slow riders I pass the entire group in one pass if at all possible so as to not mix in with a group of riders I know nothing about. Having seen the deadly results of riding with people you don't know, I either ride alone or with one other rider whom I know well and trust. When riding a bike, someone elses mistake can be the last thing you will ever see.

• Member Contributer

I see this as the problem with the Harley crowd:

A guy I know at my local mountain owns two bikes: a newer GSXR 1000 and a Harley Sportster, also newer. When the guy rides his gixxer, he wears a full leather suit, race boots, gloves, and an expensive full-face helmet. However, the other day I saw him riding his Harley. He was wearing a canvas jacket with a t-shirt, jeans, Converse Chuck Taylors, sunglasses and a squid lid. No gloves. I know he wasn't shredding the corners on the Harley, but that's a drastic change in protection for a similar amount of risk involved in riding a motorcycle on a busy mountain. But, man, did he look cool.

To me, the Harley guys are very image conscience, though they try to portray themselves as 1%ers. Not only must they dress the part, but they must also act the part and try to be badasses. Not all of them are like this, but enough of them to cause me tonot like them. With Harley peeps, I presume they're douchebags until proven otherwise. The same goes for the guys who treat the mountain like a racetrack on their "crotch rockets." Passing slower vehicles at blind corners and endangering other riders. These guys are more interested about how they'll be captured by the local mountain photog, than being curtious to other drivers and riders.

• Member Contributer

I see this as the problem with the Harley crowd:

A guy I know at my local mountain owns two bikes: a newer GSXR 1000 and a Harley Sportster, also newer. When the guy rides his gixxer, he wears a full leather suit, race boots, gloves, and an expensive full-face helmet. However, the other day I saw him riding his Harley. He was wearing a canvas jacket with a t-shirt, jeans, Converse Chuck Taylors, sunglasses and a squid lid. No gloves. I know he wasn't shredding the corners on the Harley, but that's a drastic change in protection for a similar amount of risk involved in riding a motorcycle on a busy mountain. But, man, did he look cool.

To me, the Harley guys are very image conscience, though they try to portray themselves as 1%ers. Not only must they dress the part, but they must also act the part and try to be badasses. Not all of them are like this, but enough of them to cause me tonot like them. With Harley peeps, I presume they're douchebags until proven otherwise. The same goes for the guys who treat the mountain like a racetrack on their "crotch rockets." Passing slower vehicles at blind corners and endangering other riders. These guys are more interested about how they'll be captured by the local mountain photog, than being curtious to other drivers and riders.

WOW! :biggrin:

I'm certainly not image concious because I frequently can be seen in Hi Viz gear..... :fing02: But, then, I'm not seen for long if at all possible. :ph34r:

Damn crotch rockets and Harley's are ruining the world and increasing prejudice...... :warranty: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I'm not saying this is right, or that others should do the same, but there's something in my core being that cannot stand riding behind another vehicle. I will pass every chance I get if it's safe and legal to do so, and sometimes when it's not legal to do so. Being out front in clean air is good; being behind in exhaust fumes and flying cigarette butts is not good. And passing is fun. (I'm talking about when out on the highway, not in town.)

Just curious...

Do they have sportbike bashing topics on the Harley forums? :comp13: I bet they do. I wonder if the voice of reason is ever heard there as it usually is here.

Also, did the Davidsons ever get mad that everyone calls the bikes "Harleys"? Seems like they'd be jealous that their half of the brand's name always gets left out. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I had a cruiser rider(Not sure if it was a Harley) wave me by just at the crest of a hill. He had a clear sight down the other side when he waved me on and like an idiot I trusted the guy. I noticed a dump truck coming up the other way just as I hit warp speed to pass. Hard on the brakes I whipped in behind said arse hole and saw him laughing. He got a salute when I went by him. :comp13:

Did he have those long rope looking streamers hanging from his bars. I wonder what would happen if you went by pretty close and gave one of the a good yank? :fing02:

Most of the ones i've had problems with have been in some sort of twisties. Their usual MO is ride two abreast nose to tail. In some cases if you can get a decent sightline, they can be taken on the double yellow. If it's really tight, they'll ride into a corner. All of them will stop and get floor jacks out of their trailers. Then they'll jack up the back end of the bike, drag the rear end around, drop the bike, load up the jack, get back on and putt to the next corner then rinse and repeat.

I'd be tickled crapless if these maroons would give me some space in the lane and wave me by. I'd even tiptoe past them and say thanks.

Coming back over Cascade Highway two years ago on the way back from the Nelson VFRD meet I came upon a large group of Harley riders, mostly Harleys. I don't mess around with slower moving vehicles no matter what they are. If I can get around safely I do. So I pounced and proceeded to pass about half the pack, about 15 bikes and then ran out of safe viewing on a long sweeper so ducked into the middle of their pack. I popped right next to a Suzuki TL 1000 and the guy snapped a look at me and then seemed perturbed by his body language. He didn't wave and didn't smile. I found the next opening and shot around the next 15 or so bikes and lo and behold there was a big guy riding a Boss Hog in the front and he had that requisite grimmace on his face. I guess that's why he was the leader. I blew by him and could hear him rev up and start to chase after me. I giggled inside my helmet. I was pretty sure no Boss Hog was going to catch me on a twisty mountain road. The pack quickly disappeared in my mirrors. I was almost completely gassed up in Marblemount before they reappeared again. Nobody flipped me off, but I felt like I rained on their parade a little.

I've had Harley riders tell me they were riding in a large pack of 50 or more bikes going like a bat outta hell when some guy pulls alongside on a sport bike and wheelies past all of them. Now that's ballsy.

• Member Contributer

I've had Harley riders tell me they were riding in a large pack of 50 or more bikes going like a bat outta hell when some guy pulls alongside on a sport bike and wheelies past all of them. Now that's ballsy.

And people dont understand why they dont wave at us :comp13: :fing02:

When I ride my cruiser trust me I have heard a lot of stories about sport bike riders, we are the same people no matter what the heck yer sittin on. :biggrin:

Some riders are azzhats and some are not, but I will say "generally" VFR riders are some of the most considerate. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

:fing02: Lots of good stuff in this thread if you don't get bogged down and assume that someone is insulting you in particular.

Keith, I've ridden in front of you and it felt like the crosshairs of a JDAM were right on my azz..... :biggrin: :comp13:

BTW, I'm going to ride a crotch rocket this weekend and NOT WORRY ABOUT THE HOGLY DAVIDSONS. They may take it personal, but I'll be GONE..... :fing02:

Can't blame a guy for staring now Jim....

• Member Contributer

Did they say anything about it being an all black bike and happening near Nashville? :comp13:

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

LMAO!! Love it!!

I had a scary expeirience when a pair of Hardleys waved me by and just as I poured on the power to make a claen safe pass I wass greeted with a middle finger and a water bottle in the head..... I was lucky enough to see a friendly LEO a few miles up the road and stopped to have a little "chat" .. I was pleased to watch them both issued some form of a citation as I refuelled my ride across the street. It felt good to give them a Honk and a courtesy wave as I went on my way... Idiots...

Sad, indeed. I often think we're all finally beyond that sort of thing. i have been waved around by a H-D group, more than once. But many years ago I was serious egged by an H-D parade. You just know for certain they're looking for trouble when they pull a stunt like that. Perhaps they had to defend their fair city? York, PA. As near to a 'home town' as Milwaukee? R3~

• Member Contributer

Egged?? My God that is just childish. Someone else in this same thread reported being hit by a water bottle. That's just asking for something very bad to happen. I couldn't have that on my conscience. I have met some very nice, polite people on Harley's and other brands of bikes but I have met alot of arrogant owners of Harley riders including women riders and women behind their boyfriends, husbands etc. I don't recall ever having anything thrown at me though but for some, once they throw that leg over the saddle their demeanor changes.

• Member Contributer

Sad, indeed. I often think we're all finally beyond that sort of thing. i have been waved around by a H-D group, more than once. But many years ago I was serious egged by an H-D parade. You just know for certain they're looking for trouble when they pull a stunt like that. Perhaps they had to defend their fair city? York, PA. As near to a 'home town' as Milwaukee? R3~

I would think hammering the brakes right at the head of the parade and then back on the gas two gears lower would pile up an HD parade in a hurry. I'm not usually an ass but egging me will certainly bring it out. :angry:

I have a customer that rides an HD and knows I ride too - he just doesn't know what I ride - He was going on and on about being on rides with his regular 12 man parade, taking in the sights, and enjoying the day when "It never fails, some jackass on a sport bike will try to pass us and cuts into our group and then pass the rest of us". His point was how UNSAFE it was for another rider to cut their group like that. Meanwhile my brain was saying "How else do you think anyone could ever get by you on a twisty mountain route?" There are always two sides to every story and I see his point but it is very clear that he has never considered what a rolling road block they become.

• Member Contributer

Its a felony here to throw something from a moving vehicle at someone. The old GoPro would do it provided you were a live to show someone..

• Member Contributer

I will not slip into a group of riders trying to pass. Unless they know I'm there and I have been signaled to do so. I have had that done to me by someone on a sport bike. Two lane highway kind of a rolling elavation (not flat) not good visability of oncoming cars with some left and right curves. Out of nowhere this guy is suddenly at my seven o'clock on his brakes hard to avoid hitting me but mostly getting the hell out of way of the oncoming car. (double yellow) Scared the ba-jesus out of me. If I had been a new rider I could have panicked and lost control. From that incident I decided I would not do that to other riders....with a group of riders like 8 or more they could have new riders with them. Usually the new riders are in the middle of the pack not expecting another motorcyle to race up next to them out of nowhere. It is unsafe but also it's rude. It's obvious the guy can ride and I'm not jealous of that...but if you suddenly put my life at risk, I tend to get a little pissed. Who wouldn't?

I will not slip into a group of riders trying to pass. Unless they know I'm there and I have been signaled to do so. I have had that done to me by someone on a sport bike. Two lane highway kind of a rolling elavation (not flat) not good visability of oncoming cars with some left and right curves. Out of nowhere this guy is suddenly at my seven o'clock on his brakes hard to avoid hitting me but mostly getting the hell out of way of the oncoming car. (double yellow) Scared the ba-jesus out of me. If I had been a new rider I could have panicked and lost control. From that incident I decided I would not do that to other riders....with a group of riders like 8 or more they could have new riders with them. Usually the new riders are in the middle of the pack not expecting another motorcyle to race up next to them out of nowhere. It is unsafe but also it's rude. It's obvious the guy can ride and I'm not jealous of that...but if you suddenly put my life at risk, I tend to get a little pissed. Who wouldn't?

This is a very good point. The times I've done it I've hated having to do it. Large groups of cruisers are simply a fact of life in North America, and while I like going well above the speed limit I believe it should be done with the assumption that those riding within the speed limits (or their own limits) will always have the right of way. Best way to deal with a large group of cruisers that can't safely be passed in one go is to simply pull over and take a break. It's a small price to pay for the freedom to ride above the limits, below the limits, sportbike or cruiser, in a group or alone.

Sure large groups should ride in clumps of several bikes with gaps in between but that's just not going to happen and nobody should be put at risk because someone wants to ride faster or slower than the limits.

Riding 20 or 30 over the limit is fun but one gives up many rights to do so and must yield to all traffic operating within the limits.

Some might call it "Harley bashing" but then, Harley rider do the dumbest things in front of you sometimes......

Like that day, some years ago when I caught up to a big Harley club ride (with all the big beards, German style helmets and beanies, black leather vests with the big club patches on the back, chains, tattoos, ape hanger bars and bike gang girls on the back of the bikes) going up the mountian from Highway 1 towards Alice's.

So I was tailgunner charlie tagging along the back (at a respectable distance) of their line, enjoying the moderate speed ride through the twisties with them.... when suddenly the last guy in their group started really slowing down, creating a really big gap between me and his buddies........I got the point, they did not want me around their tail end so I dropped back with the last rider till the whole group was out of sight, We ended up going like 30 MPH on a 50 MPH limited twisty highway He then bolts away, rudley blatting his straight pipes at me. I decided to follow and not be restricted to the sub 50MPH speed he left me at but kept my distance from the guy..... but then he really wanted to show me how fast he could go. So there he was trying to speed away from me grinding his bike's stand and frame on the road with showers of sparks when we hit the twisties and in some turns, almost losing it when he levers up his rear wheel and almost high sided a few times........I just ended up letting him go by parking at a scenic view wayside before he killed himself in front of me.....

I'd rather not "bash" any biker if I can, no matter what they ride, but I'll "bash" them anytime if they ride like a fool when I'm around them on my bike........

Beck

95 VFR

Archived