Do Hardley's try to wave you on?

Guest Toppers

Guest Toppers

I don't know what it is. I keep x 2 the distance behind when I'm following packs of Hardley Ablesons to be respectful and there's always some drama, regardless. They slow down and try to wave me past, as if I'm riding on their tail (which I never am) or just assume because a sport looking bike is in their rear view mirror, I'm going to ride like a banshee and blow them away. :cheerleader:

So tonight it happened again. Dude tries to wave me past, we are going uphill on a double yellow. What am I supposed to do, pass him in our lane? I was just chilling do under the speed limit, way behind him. I shake my head "NO" at him. He gets pissed, and cracks his bike wide open to try and get away from me (straight pipes, go figure). All noise, no go. I barely moved my throttle and the VFR kept up with him (4k rpm if that?) but never on his tail or passed him. He also almost crashed in a curve. Followed 'respectfully' for 7 miles, probably 6 car lengths minimum just to irk him after that. He eventually turned off, shaking his head. Man, these guys have some ego issues. That dude created this entire situation all by himself.

I do, however, get a kick watching them slow down to wave me past, then practically fall off the bike trying to accelerate from 20 MPH weaving all over the place.

Anyways, this is some lame drama and it always happens to me.

How about you?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hey! A Harley bashing thread! :cheerleader:

Finally I can contribute.

I've been waved past by criusers and was kinda glad I did every time. :beer:

Thanked them too. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I usually dont make a big deal out of it. Some HD riders have the attitude and some dont. If there coming toward me I wave anyway - I wave at all bikes no matter what. Its just the appreciation that all bikes are cool.

If I'm coming up from behind, if I want to pass, (assuming I'm on a sporty type bike) I will pass when its clear and safe. I'll give them a friendly wave on the way by too. If they get pissed, its not my problem. I dont play the better than you game. No matter what - 2 wheels, one sport, we're all brothers.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah - I ride a cruiser too, so if I'm on that, and a sport bike comes up from behind, I am happy to wave them by too.

Ist off other bikers don't have the right to let ypu make a pass that's illegal ..... and when he sped up you should have stayed at your pace and let him go.... Yes he seems to have a attitude problem... whether it be that you're on a sport bike or what ever.... He knew he was going slow enough to wave you on... If you're not going to do it .... back off even more, what's the point in starting a moble pack if you're not passing anyway .... don't play their game..... I see people all the time riding on the bumper(not that you were) of the cage/bike in front of them with no possible chance of passing in the next day or two, so why put their selves on the bumper. 2 or 3 sec. gap should solve the problem. let him have the heart attack from his attitude.....

• Member Contributer

:fing02: :biggrin: :wub:

oh man.. after working in harley shops for so long and seeing this kinda stuff almost every night on the way home..

i remember i one guy asking me how to make his bike faster to pass the squids.... my reply.....

" spend 10 grand to get a magna charger and a shave all the extra weight off the bike..or spend 4 grand for a used cbr.. your choice..'

he spent the 10 grand.. has the bike( 1870cc) supercharged and lite ( for a hardley).. and he can juuuuuuussssttt keep up with a stock 91 vfr750 :huh:

i wish we had more customers like him.. i would not be broke right now.. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

All I know is that it's finally warm enough here in Denver for one of the fair weather riders in my apartment complex for him to ride his customized Harley to work early in the morning.

How customized? Well it's got loud pipes and a stereo setup that he has cranked up most mornings.

How early? No later than 6 AM.

How much do I like this guy? Not at all. Odd that he wasn't even on my radar when it was hanging around freezing and I was riding to work and he wasn't...

• Member Contributer

Weird. The only place I've ever been waved by was on The Dragon itself.

Basically, I ride at the pace I want to ride - I don't get caught up in chasing squids, and when I can make a pass legally, I get around groups that are slower. The more bikes the better the visibility, but I don't change the way I ride just to stay with (or avoid) other bikers when I don't know them.

• Member Contributer

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to get stuck behind rolling road-block, especially when they are courteously waving you past, but to each His own.

Personally, as soon as I can make a clean and safe pass, I'm gone.

• Member Contributer

Fast movers and slow movers don't mix no matter how respectful you think you are... it's best to set them up and rip their ears off in one clean pass and be done with it... and yes... between the double yellow and a slow mover is how its done out west...

• Member Contributer

I wound up in between three bikes with Illinois tags on Monday up in the mountains. The lead was a GoldWing trike and he waved me by, we were both in the fast lane. It was a tight fit since he was on a trike but I proceeded quickly and was on my way. I really don't like to pass in the same lane however, the slow lane was clogged with RVs and 18 wheelers so the trike had nowhere to move to give me more space.

personally, i won't pass unless it's clean and legal. i have had maybe 2 riders on HDs in all my few years that waved me by during a double yellow (and no, i didn't pass). i don't trust people enough that they will stay on their side of the lane when i would try to get past. just not me. i'm never in such a hurry i can't wait a lil longer, then smoke em and leave em. and, i try to stay back from em in case they blow chunks. i can't count the number of times i've seen oil spills in the lane while carving up the Hills. especially after the Sturgis Rally. it really ruins the riding experience.

• Member Contributer

Hardleys lol... labels are so fun.

Regardless of what other riders do, I always try and not get caught up in the moment. Provoking someone else on the road is as bad as whatever they did to get you to provoke them. It usually leads to someone getting hurt which by the judge of your story... someone almost did.

• Member Contributer

Slightly off topic...but what do you guys think of strangers that share your lane at stoplights? I'm not comfortable with another bike, with a rider I don't know, sharing my space.

• Member Contributer

If they slow, move over in the lane, and wave me past...I'll go. I give them a friendly wave as I go by and get on with my ride. If they don't want me behind them, I'm more than cool with that and will happily be on my way...JMHO...

• Member Contributer

Slightly off topic...but what do you guys think of strangers that share your lane at stoplights? I'm not comfortable with another bike, with a rider I don't know, sharing my space.

Yeah, don't like it either and I have to resist the urge to jump on the green light and get the heck away from them. I usually let them go first and if they are riding slower than I want; I pass them when I safely can.

• Member Contributer

Fast movers and slow movers don't mix no matter how respectful you think you are... it's best to set them up and rip their ears off in one clean pass and be done with it... and yes... between the double yellow and a slow mover is how its done out west...

:goofy:..........................truer words could not be spoken BLS. I agree I'll show all the respect in the world if it's needed. Go around. No reason for him to even get the attitude. If it don't go chrome it. Now if I'm with a group that's a whole different banana.Riding solo I get waved around all the time. I set it up pass through and we both continue on at our paces his molasses slow and mine...well a bit quicker.No harm done you both enjoy the rest of your rides. Some of the areas I ride in or should I say where the better roads are and good pavement(it is Pa after all) are Cruiser Heaven.Listen you think you're the only guy that went around him today? Be assured some squid on a gixxer did a stoppie right up and along side him at some traffic light already today. Or better yet dropped his left hand down mid turn just to say hello.....or wheelied in his rear view.

Not that I would do any of that.

• Member Contributer

I've never seen you do any of that, so I believe you. :goofy:

.........................thanks man. I knew I could count on you. :fing02:

I've never seen you do any of that, so I believe you. :goofy:

.........................thanks man. I knew I could count on you. :fing02:

You got it. Now check your PM's! lol

I can see not passing on a blind hill double-yellow, but why didn't you just go around later? Unless you were just cruising yourself and didn't want to go any faster? If that's the case, cool, but I'm with Monk (above) - you could have backed off a bit to let the guy know you were content with hanging back.

I do not, however, like to pass in the same lane. If that's what the guy expected you to do, you were right not to IMHO. I've done same-lane passes with riding buddies before, people I trust, and even then it makes me nervous. I won't do it with unknown riders.

BTW, most VFR riders I know will pass quickly on a double-yellow when safe to do so. I have no problem with it. I can quickly and safely make passes on my VFR I could never make in my car. I have pushed the envelope a few times tho. Thankfully, those moments are few and far-between! Each time I did it, I shook my head and said to myself, "What the hell were you thinking?!" :goofy:

As for condodger's question, I'm not a fan of unknown riders stopping next to me at lights. I don't hate it, but since you never know their bike handling skills it makes me nervous. I never pull up alongside unknown riders in front of me for the same reason, plus I don't want to be rude and invade their space.

NOTE: No Harleys were bashed in this post. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I don't mind.

What's the big deal?

It's not like you woke up one morning and saw a strange dude in your bed... Now, that would make me feel uncomfortable :goofy:

• Member Contributer

In the city, if I'm coming up to a light and there's another rider in my rear view, I'll pull up well onto the left side of the lane. That way they can pull up next to me, and two bikes have more chance of tripping those magnetic loop traffic lights than one - it's all good.

Sometimes they assume this means they should go first pulling out from the light. Squids are especially likely to do this. You can't assume that random squids know that the rider on the left goes first. And some cruisers will then try to ride side-by-side, which I certainly won't do. So I watch out for that, especially if we're in the left turn lane. And I either let them go, or get away myself.

But pulled up and stopped? Certainly, feel free to pull up next to me. I'll even wave them up next to me if it's a bad traffic signal - we'll never get a turn if we are straggled out so far that no one can trip the light.

When I'm the following rider, I don't pull up next to someone I don't know unless I'm pretty sure they know I am there, and they're obviously making space by moving to the extreme left side of the lane. Unless, of course, I'm in my own neighborhood and I know we're at one of the bad traffic signals - I will then crowd them. I try to be as polite as I can, but I'm not going to wait forever for the light just because the rider in front of me doesn't know how to trip those lights.

• Member Contributer

Dude tries to wave me past, we are going uphill on a double yellow. What am I supposed to do, pass him in our lane?

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do.

Motorcycle headlights are irritating because of the suspension movement they flash brighter and dimmer, that along with sport bikes 99% of the time wanting to pass, they get spooked. Just pass them and be happy they are considerate enough to let you by; some will actively try to prevent you from passing.

• Member Contributer

Dude tries to wave me past, we are going uphill on a double yellow. What am I supposed to do, pass him in our lane?

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do.

Motorcycle headlights are irritating because of the suspension movement they flash brighter and dimmer, that along with sport bikes 99% of the time wanting to pass, they get spooked. Just pass them and be happy they are considerate enough to let you by; some will actively try to prevent you from passing.

+1

• Member Contributer

When stopped? I don't give it a second thought, just making the line shorter, they are no closer to me than a car in another lane.

When stopped? I don't give it a second thought, just making the line shorter, they are no closer to me than a car in another lane.

I don't mind sharing my lane, usually nod or chat about the weather, depending on how friendly the other guy is (and usually the Harley guys will chat with me, just get a nod from the sport bikers). But I always go by the rule that whoever is in the left side of the lane leads out and one on the right side follows.

I haven't had any problems with other riders waving me on, but I did have a minivan try to get me to pass on a double yellow just before a curve in the road. The driver even stopped in the road, I still didn't pass because I couldn't be sure what was around the corner, I stopped and motioned to the double yellow. After that I went really slow and let them go over the next hill

Archived