Do Hardley's try to wave you on?

Guest Toppers

• Member Contributer

I also think that people behind you see you having respect for safety and return the favor. Not always, but usually. I've noticed that tailgaters invite other tailgaters to do likewise.

Hey, I have noticed this A LOT, but don't mention it because I wasn' sure I was not imagining it .

Being a rider whose employment is dependent on having a drivers licence, I seldom exceed the speed limit (at least where I know it's possible to get caught) so I am bound to sit in the trraffic and I find that If I do stay the 2 seconds behind, More often then not, the car behind will do the same for me.

Notice I said "Cars".

Trucks and 4WD's are in an alternate reality, I think. One where the Alpha Male rules supreme. biggrin.gif

Tom

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Your Clevland Harley riders are being cool by waving your by. Here in So. Calif. you are SOL if you get behind a pack of them. If they wave you by it is a courtesy. Pass them carefully giving them a big thumbs up as you go. You may be following too close if you really want to just follow along. Checking out the girl on the backs tramp stamp perhaps? :cheerleader: If you really don't want or need to pass just wave them off and fall back a little more if you can keep your bike from falling over at those speeds.

Here in CA they are among the rudest riders I have ever seen. I've been flipped off and given other gestures of road rage by them even when following at a safe distance waiting for them to let me pass. RUBs I suppose.

I've also had the exact opposite experience when I got behind a pack of Mongols patched riders out in BFE desert roads. Yes I was being very courteouse and following them on a one laner. After a while we came to a straight and the tailgunner raised his hand with the index finger indicating one. They snapped into a single file formation on the right side of the road. Then he waved me by. That was a big wow moment for me on my new CBX Honda. Gave them a big thumbs up which, well they didn't return I dd'd out of there.

Long Story Short. Real motorcyclist show courtesy to fellow motorcyclist. We've got our squids and they have their RUBs who try and spoil it for all of us.

I also think that people behind you see you having respect for safety and return the favor. Not always, but usually. I've noticed that tailgaters invite other tailgaters to do likewise.

Hey, I have noticed this A LOT, but don't mention it because I wasn' sure I was not imagining it .

Being a rider whose employment is dependent on having a drivers licence, I seldom exceed the speed limit (at least where I know it's possible to get caught) so I am bound to sit in the trraffic and I find that If I do stay the 2 seconds behind, More often then not, the car behind will do the same for me.

Notice I said "Cars".

Trucks and 4WD's are in an alternate reality, I think. One where the Alpha Male rules supreme. :cheerleader:

Tom

I'll add a yes to this. Bike or jeep, they come up and ride my butt, then when they see me keeping a gap they'll do the same..... At least a lot of them will....

• Member Contributer

Around here anyway, the HD riders seem to be fairly accomplished, and many are quite excellent wheeling those things through the twisties. And when I pass them, I give a friendly wave and they nod back. Hope I don't encounter any of the douche bags you've seen.

huh... they must get ruder as ou get closer to York... they tend (and yes I'm generalizing a bit) to consume the roads around here and most aren't very considerate or social to the non-cruiser sorts..

In my experience...they don't give the wave when passing in oncoming lanes. And they always wave me to pass them when behind them. I ALWAYS follow anything at a safe distance. Around 5-7 car lengths. Personally...I think the majority does have a problem with anything other than a Harley. And most of the time...they are drunk from the bar hopping. That could explain the swerving at 20 mph hehe.

• Member Contributer

I'll usually ignore pass instructions from other riders - "I'll decide."

Also, I try to make it plain by bike position and early use of turn signals to indicate my plans.

What's really the worst is when a pickup pulls half off the road, spitting gravel everywhere, in a misguided attempt to be courteous on a double yellow!

• Member Contributer

What is really funny to me is how a lot of you (notice I didn't say all or most) are quick to jump on the "Harley" or as the child in you puts it: Hardley (lol) rider bandwagon and not just put it on the rider in question.

If those of you bashing Harley riders had hair on your peaches to admit it, I'd bet you did something either similar or just plain stupid while riding your VFR. Hell, BR just made a post on a very silly move he made. I am not bashing him (I actually commend him for coming clean and posting as a learning tool for us novice riders), I am just using it as an example.

SO, I guess that trucker has every right to now label all Sport Bike riders "VEEFdiots" or something similar now? Of course not.

Sorry for ranting. As a Harley rider AND a VFR rider, I guess I just get tired of hearing about "Harlye riders this" and "Harley riders that" when you could very easily throw a "VFR this" or "VFR that" thread or two around here with all the pot luck stories people tell about tickets and speeding and twisties going in the wrong lane ect. ect.

""""I do, however, get a kick watching them slow down to wave me past, then practically fall off the bike trying to accelerate from 20 MPH weaving all over the place.""""

- That sounds like a very friendly VFR represenative to me. /shrug

Food for thought.

What is really funny to me is how a lot of you (notice I didn't say all or most) are quick to jump on the "Harley" or as the child in you puts it: Hardley (lol) rider bandwagon and not just put it on the rider in question.

If those of you bashing Harley riders had hair on your peaches to admit it, I'd bet you did something either similar or just plain stupid while riding your VFR. Hell, BR just made a post on a very silly move he made. I am not bashing him (I actually commend him for coming clean and posting as a learning tool for us novice riders), I am just using it as an example.

SO, I guess that trucker has every right to now label all Sport Bike riders "VEEFdiots" or something similar now? Of course not.

Sorry for ranting. As a Harley rider AND a VFR rider, I guess I just get tired of hearing about "Harlye riders this" and "Harley riders that" when you could very easily throw a "VFR this" or "VFR that" thread or two around here with all the pot luck stories people tell about tickets and speeding and twisties going in the wrong lane ect. ect.

""""I do, however, get a kick watching them slow down to wave me past, then practically fall off the bike trying to accelerate from 20 MPH weaving all over the place.""""

- That sounds like a very friendly VFR represenative to me. /shrug

Food for thought.

:angry:

Generalizations - about any group - lack quality.

BOT - I only pass in those situations when it's safe. I don't want to endanger another rider, myself or the person/car/animal that's in the opposite lane. The only time I'll blow by is if I'm afraid I'm going to get lost and I have no idea where I am. That happened this weekend.

On the stopped at a light question, I'll pull up & say hi if the other rider has pulled to one side. Normally I'll say 'nice bike' or something to that effect & we'll either chat...or not. I have no issues with someone pulling up next to me - I pretty much always make room.

I like other riders. That's my basic motivation.

• Member Contributer

Harley threads are worse than oil threads........ :angry: :dry: :ph34r: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Harley threads are worse than oil threads........ :angry: :dry: :ph34r: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Well, certainly the 'average' "I Hate Harleys" Thread is not very productive or mind-expanding. But I think many of the posters here are trying to understand a very real and very dangerous possibility: that of someone trying to get someone hurt on purpose. I think that if a fellow rider comes across this situation and takes things a bit slower and a bit safer because of reading this Thread, then it is a worthwhile use of time and Forum space. While some posters have digressed into trivial side themes, most are exploring this rather frightening possibility and most are not making sweeping statements. When I was "waved on" when it was clearly unsafe it was clear to me that it was an intentional attempt to hurt me. Do all Harley riders/Cruiser riders do this? Certainly not. But If only a small percentage do this at times we had all better be aware of it.

A Thread on oil will never save someone's life; this Thread just might.

• Member Contributer

The headlight issue has already been pointed out, but the forward rider may be waving you on to acknowledge that he sees you and to let you know to overtake when safe to do so. The tendency of vehicles that accelerate as you pass them is universal and practiced by bikers and cagers alike. I tend to be aggressive and demand my piece of the road, while maintaining safe distances and speeds.

• Member Contributer

SO, I guess that trucker has every right to now label all Sport Bike riders "VEEFdiots" or something similar now?

Sure he does; it is just human nature. Everyone makes generalizations and has prejudices, as much as we may try not to, it is unavoidable.

• Member Contributer

Harley threads are worse than oil threads........ :fing02: :goofy: :bliss: :wink: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Well, certainly the 'average' "I Hate Harleys" Thread is not very productive or mind-expanding. But I think many of the posters here are trying to understand a very real and very dangerous possibility: that of someone trying to get someone hurt on purpose. I think that if a fellow rider comes across this situation and takes things a bit slower and a bit safer because of reading this Thread, then it is a worthwhile use of time and Forum space. While some posters have digressed into trivial side themes, most are exploring this rather frightening possibility and most are not making sweeping statements. When I was "waved on" when it was clearly unsafe it was clear to me that it was an intentional attempt to hurt me. Do all Harley riders/Cruiser riders do this? Certainly not. But If only a small percentage do this at times we had all better be aware of it.

A Thread on oil will never save someone's life; this Thread just might.

Amen. I'll un-beat that horse......

• Member Contributer

Anybody ever "waved on" a Harley? (Stir pot...)

I have noticed a tendency of all riders to be a bit competitive.

I know this can/could be very serious; just trying to expand the conversation.

Last week, I pulled over a lane so that 2 cruisers could get into traffic, then returned to that (curb) lane farther down. At the light 2 blocks later, I stopped in the left-side as per usual. The two cruisers pullled in behind me. When the light turned green, the Harley chromed-out bagger with straight pipes blasted past me in my lane! The other, a trike, stayed behind. I gave the lead rider a "jerk-off" hand signal, that they both clearly saw, and turned off to my destination. I try to be courteous, but... how rude!

• Member Contributer

SO, I guess that trucker has every right to now label all Sport Bike riders "VEEFdiots" or something similar now?

Sure he does; it is just human nature. Everyone makes generalizations and has prejudices, as much as we may try not to, it is unavoidable.

But in the very nature of this thread, (see topic) it is going the wrong way.

Instead of making a thread on "Stupid Riders who Wave people on", the OP had to go and label it a Harley Rider thread. Then, it was followed by fellow VFRers who were quick to do the same. A thread designed to make aware of a very dangerous act could have been more productive leaving out the smart "Hardley" comment. Yes, I am sure that people who ride Harleys are the ONLY ones who do this stupid act. /boggle

Example: I will use myself. I ride a Harley. I ride a VFR. None of you guys know me from a can of paint other than what is in my signature. If I pulled up to some rest stop or anywhere for that matter on my Harley in front of the OP or the others, based on his opinions and the opinions of others in this thread they would assume I am just some asshole who breaks the law and wants sport bike riders dead yada yada yada. HOWEVER, if one would not stereotype and not be quick to label, one would know that I am in fact, a fellow VFR rider and Dirtibike rider who enjoys all types of riding with all types of people.... AND I follow the rules of the road. (well almost :D)

• Member Contributer

Instead of making a thread on "Stupid Riders who Wave people on", the OP had to go and label it a Harley Rider thread. Then, it was followed by fellow VFRers who were quick to do the same. A thread designed to make aware of a very dangerous act could have been more productive leaving out the smart "Hardley" comment. Yes, I am sure that people who ride Harleys are the ONLY ones who do this stupid act. /boggle

Example: I will use myself. I ride a Harley. I ride a VFR. None of you guys know me from a can of paint other than what is in my signature. If I pulled up to some rest stop or anywhere for that matter on my Harley in front of the OP or the others, based on his opinions and the opinions of others in this thread they would assume I am just some asshole who breaks the law and wants sport bike riders dead yada yada yada. HOWEVER, if one would not stereotype and not be quick to label, one would know that I am in fact, a fellow VFR rider and Dirtibike rider who enjoys all types of riding with all types of people.... AND I follow the rules of the road. (well almost :D)

Jeremy summed it up best. If Harley made a product I wanted, I'd get it. Prejudice means to pre-judge. Anyone that doesn't pre-judge has to be in a coma....

• Member Contributer

Jeremy summed it up best. If Harley made a product I wanted, I'd get it. Prejudice means to pre-judge. Anyone that doesn't pre-judge has to be in a coma....

Pre-juding about a PRODUCT is one thing. I will give you that.

HOWEVER

Pre-juding a PERSON who uses the product based on the simple fact that you don't like it is complete ignorance. Can you see the difference? Do you smoke? Because I think cigarettes are retarded, therefore PEOPLE who smoke are retarded. Fair pre-judge? Hell no it isn't. It is stupid thinking.

Sorry if that comes off harsh, but there isn't really any other way to put it.

• Member Contributer

Why just this morning I let a cruiser get ahead of me while on my way to work.

The guy was intent on passing me on the right in the thick of NYC traffic. I won't make guesses as to his thought process or lack thereof, other than to say that he made me feel very uncomfortable with him behind me. This also happened to be the very same street where my last ride met its demise after a rather spectacular encounter with a Suburban. I then followed him (just b/c I had to go the same way) and observed him make a few bonehead moves, which could have resulted in a very bad day for him. Let's just say that it was painfully obvious to me that he has never had a door opened into his side while passing a bunch of cars... :blink: Luckily nothing bad happened.

:blink:

Prejudice means to pre-judge. Anyone that doesn't pre-judge has to be in a coma....

Nicely said.

I'm gona add this gem to my collection.

Somehow the word Prejudice has taken on a bad connotation due to a blind desire to be politically correct at all costs. I think that this word can still be rehabilitated. The word Gay however is too far gone :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Prejudice means to pre-judge. Anyone that doesn't pre-judge has to be in a coma....

Nicely said.

I'm gona add this gem to my collection.

Somehow the word Prejudice has taken on a bad connotation due to a blind desire to be politically correct at all costs. I think that this word can still be rehabilitated. The word Gay however is too far gone :fing02:

I woud tend to agree with you to an extent.

I just think the simple fact that you and others think it is OK to prejudge someone based on what kind of bike they ride is really retarded lol. I mean wow...

I guess I am just old school in my thinking. Probably has something to do with serving my country the past 22+ years with a wide variety of people. You tend to learn not to be prejudice. Or it could be the proper home training. With this new generation parenting isn't what it was when I was growing up. /shrug

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to continue this discussion. I won't do it here.

• Member Contributer

Pre-juding about a PRODUCT is one thing. I will give you that.

HOWEVER

Pre-juding a PERSON who uses the product based on the simple fact that you don't like it is complete ignorance. Can you see the difference? Do you smoke? Because I think cigarettes are retarded, therefore PEOPLE who smoke are retarded. Fair pre-judge? Hell no it isn't. It is stupid thinking.

Sorry if that comes off harsh, but there isn't really any other way to put it.

When you add the word "fair" to any conversation....it's over. Fair is a relative term....always. Ignorance is defined as: "lack of knowledge or information". No, I don't smoke, do you? How is that relevant? What does "retarded" and "stupid" have to do with this thread? :blink: Why do you admit to being harsh? Of course there are other ways to "put it". :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I usually dont make a big deal out of it. Some HD riders have the attitude and some dont. If there coming toward me I wave anyway - I wave at all bikes no matter what. Its just the appreciation that all bikes are cool.

If I'm coming up from behind, if I want to pass, (assuming I'm on a sporty type bike) I will pass when its clear and safe. I'll give them a friendly wave on the way by too. If they get pissed, its not my problem. I dont play the better than you game. No matter what - 2 wheels, one sport, we're all brothers.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah - I ride a cruiser too, so if I'm on that, and a sport bike comes up from behind, I am happy to wave them by too.

+1

• Member Contributer

I agree with you. IMO, the HD rider in the original post was being being courteous and respectful trying to let someone by, while the OP was acting like an ass.

If I see someone on a HD (any cruiser, actually. Unless I can see logos, I can't tell the difference between them) the only assumption I make is they are going to be going slow. 95% of people I have met on any and all brands and styles of motorcycle seem like decent people. I don't have a negative opinion of them until their actions warrant it, and I would assume most others feel the same way.

• Member Contributer

I agree with you. IMO, the HD rider in the original post was being being courteous and respectful trying to let someone by, while the OP was acting like an ass.

If I see someone on a HD (any cruiser, actually. Unless I can see logos, I can't tell the difference between them) the only assumption I make is they are going to be going slow. 95% of people I have met on any and all brands and styles of motorcycle seem like decent people. I don't have a negative opinion of them until their actions warrant it, and I would assume most others feel the same way.

+1.gif

Archived