1998 to 2000 conversion

bmart

• Member Contributer
On 9/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, bmart said:

Also discovering the VFRness is different...and the R/R?

You want the Roadstercycle SH847 Kit. It includes a Shindengen SH847 Series R/R, which is the latest in R/R technology. Also, it includes a stand-alone wire harness that gets the charging circuit out of the bike’s main harness and it adds a 30A breaker before the battery, two things that add a level of protection. Lastly, this setup uses the battery as a power bank, which allows the R/R to open/close, or cycle, the charging circuit, which allows the stator and R/R to run cooler.

Forget about the VFRness. It’s a waste of time and money. 

I was working in a Honda dealership, in 2000. We had gotten in a new VFR that I drooled over, everyday. Unfortunately, there was no way I could afford one. The memory of that bike has always stuck in my mind, so I get the affinity for yellow bodywork. As much as I don’t like the wax idle unit or catalytic converter, I’d still go for the 2000. Just keep in mind, despite its low mileage, it’s still a 21yr-old bike and will need all the same maintenance items as a higher mileage bike of the same year. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The cheaper, proven solution is the MOSFET Yamaha R1 one--you can pick them up on eBay, or even new.  Never heard of any failing (but I'm sure at least a few have!)

Ciao,

JZH

Care to provide years or p/ns that work? Direct plug in or rewire? I'll be awake soon & will search!

• Member Contributer

If you’re shopping used R/R’s, you want a Shindengen SH847 off a 2014+ V-Strom 1000 (Suzuki part #32800-31J00). This will get you latest in Series R/R technology. 

Neither aforementioned R/R’s are plug and play. You’ll need to source the plugs and create a harness. I’d strongly suggest replicating the Roadstercycle harness and getting the charging circuit out of the main harness, as well as adding some form of circuitry protection. Using an SH847 and creating a harness like shown, utilizes the battery as a power bank for the bike to run on. This allows the SH847 to open/close the charging circuit as needed (the SH847 does not shunt), which is what allows the stator and R/R to run so much cooler.

D3B89DB2-D1E0-469C-91AA-2B11B5A7C7F9.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Another series R/R is the SH775 (Polaris #4012941), and it would work well too.  I would get the RoadsterCycle harness, as it is robust and good quality wire, circuit breaker and connectors..... you can't really build that much cheaper or as good yourself.

Installing the Roadster harness totally eliminates stock wiring from the equation.

Yet another SH series regulator is from a Versys 1000 2015-up.

The Yamaha (FJR, FJ-09, etc.) used a mofset FH-020-AA.... they didn't have history of failing.

What you may find is that used R/R's are half or more of what you can buy a new one at Roadster for........

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, raYzerman said:

Yet another SH series regulator is from a Versys 1000 2015-up.

The Yamaha (FJR, FJ-09, etc.) used a mofset FH-020-AA.... they didn't have history of failing.

I have run the FH-020-AA for 3 seasons....no issues, it's fine...

----- So hey gang, should I do a 5th gen SH847 mount?