Someone Please Explain Why

kebrider

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well it's a 1200 for a start ! ;) Why a new 2 year old new bike ? Kind of says it all, didn't sell well. People tell me they are great but dog ugly from MPoV. Go get it & enjoy if that's what floats your boat.

• Member Contributer

I think that is a great deal don't have a good reason not to get one .

• Member Contributer

Because then you'd have to spend the time and money sorting the suspension. Then you'd have to take the time and figure out which tires you would want to run on it, which means multiple days of riding it. Sounds like too much work.

• Member Contributer

One car tire and a darksider for life I guess. :wink: The only real negative I have is my knees no longer bend, only reason the 6th gen left the fold, and it had lowering blocks. I would love to buy it and store it in the hopes that my inevitable replacement knees will allow me to enjoy VFRs again.

After all it is the bike of tomorrow

Couple of months ago, Searcy, AR dealer had new '13s for $9999 and I was very tempted to make the trip. Now $9762. It's ike Honda is playing chicken with me to see who blinks last. Either they blow them all out of inventory, or I give in and pull the trigger.

Sooner or later, I'm replacing my '10 with a fresh '13 before they run out.

I think a name change is in order. SkuuterRider or KebTrash. Your going through bikes and farkles faster than the man himself.

• Member Contributer

I think a name change is in order. SkuuterRider or KebTrash. Your going through bikes and farkles faster than the man himself.

Lets hope he steers clear of actual scooters and tricycles!

Well it's a 1200 for a start ! ;) Why a new 2 year old new bike ? Kind of says it all, didn't sell well. People tell me they are great but dog ugly from MPoV. Go get it & enjoy if that's what floats your boat.

I agree that the 12 kinda looks fugly to many, including me (it's mostly that dang hunch backed tank and the klingon battle club shaped muffler that irks me most!), but in that dark color (black and silver?), it's looking much better to me.....kinda like a.........BEEMER!!.....OI!

Lets hope he steers clear of actual scooters and tricycles!

I don't know that whole DarkSide thing was tricycle-ish and the NC700 was pretty scooter-ish. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I would only add to the current fleet. I am on pace to rack up over 30K miles this years and I see the VFR as a seriously high value proposition. I would have 5 bikes in the garage. I will probably do 450,000 miles over the next 15 years if I stay healthy and as it stands I ride 3 of the bikes I own and The Girl rides the Tiger 800. This means each of my 3 bikes will average over 100K apiece in 10 years.

I could use a couple more to help spread the load a little. I have been planning on purchasing one new bike a year for the next 3 years.

And the darkside thing was a test from a guy who spent $3,500 on tires last year alone and have bought 7 sets already this year. It was worth a hail Mary that fell incomplete. Calling the NC a scooter is fair. I wish it were a slower scooter though, the tire bill is getting ridiculous. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Put a 3" taller custom seat and dirt bars on the thing, trade in the Tiger and the ST1300, and ride it like you stole it. No more knee problems. For incredible prices, you can add a CB500X, a CB1100, and a CBR250R to round out the stable.

OR you can wait about 3 years, and still buy a brand new 5 year old VFR for $7,000.

I'm not really sure what Honda is doing. There are two NEW 2012 600RRs at my local dealer. The funny part is they had the 2013 600RRs at a lower price for a while, but then put them on the "call for price" list.

The same dealer has a used 2010 VFR 1200 for $10,600. I guess that seller didn't get the memo...

• Member Contributer

Cause in 15 years you're not going to add to the fold..

Just saying. Cause, you know, honda might just come out with that 1000cc V4 in five years. Then what'll you do.

• Member Contributer

Or you can buy The Girl a CB500F of her own.

• Member Contributer

Tiger is going to 100K with The Girl guaranteed. It is too versatile as a distance bike and it is cheap as hell to run, as long as I stay off of it. She got 9,700 miles out of the last T-30 front and 8K out of the T-30 rear. The VFR would be a fun novelty bike. I would go top shelf on the suspension and use the bike for the occasional track day and to remind certain kids from North Carolina that old guys can roll.

I love my 45 to 60 mph fun stuff but you know every once in a while you just gotta go tuck in behind the odd Ducati and let your hair down.

From what I have seen, the days of plentiful barely ridden nearly new VFR1200 are gone. Most used one I see now have some miles on them. Quite often 10k+ or a lot more. These days, few riders buy the VFR1200 expecting it to be a grand tourer or racing thoroughbred, only to realize it isn't either, then trade it in for what they really wanted.

There has been enough trash talk that most are forewarned. Those who buy one now are riders who actually like it for what it is, and will ride it for a while.

Being that supply will dry up after '13s are gone, I'd prefer to get one as fresh as possible, since it has been and will continue to be a keeper. K1300S looks to be discontinued soon, and there really aren't any others in this niche segment.

• Member Contributer

Tiger is going to 100K with The Girl guaranteed. It is too versatile as a distance bike and it is cheap as hell to run, as long as I stay off of it. She got 9,700 miles out of the last T-30 front and 8K out of the T-30 rear. The VFR would be a fun novelty bike. I would go top shelf on the suspension and use the bike for the occasional track day and to remind certain kids from North Carolina that old guys can roll.

I love my 45 to 60 mph fun stuff but you know every once in a while you just gotta go tuck in behind the odd Ducati and let your hair down.

This kid from NC hasn't forgotten the lesson of a highly esteemed rider, a legend, if you will. It started when a Versys chased a RWB VFR through a gravel patch. Seems an old guy let his hair down and moments later with his jacket strategically placed over his arm had the most interesting conversation with a police officer at a convenience store about safe riding. Your last purchases were under 100hp for a reason, because you still want to be riding in 10 years... Just wear out the bikes you own, pull off all the farkles and buy a brand new one to replace it. There will be deals down the road, and no one rides a Ducati hard enough to stay in front of you very far. No one rides any bike well enough to stay in front of you on a scooter.

PS:

I came back after my ride today on my 6th gen with a a Q3 on the outer wear bars after about 500 miles and nearly new knee pucks that have seen better days. But it doesn't really matter because I had just as much fun on the K bike where the tire center was worn out first. If for no other reason, you will bleed rubber and money with a 1200. Your current stable is well positioned to keep your money in your pocket, your butt in the saddle, and your head on your shoulders. If you really have an itch, buy the 8th gen in a couple years when it has the same discount. Plus, who can say they own 3 bikes with 100K miles???

Archived