Someone Please Explain Why

kebrider

• Member Contributer

Yet again, a thread that proves we are all in different positions; different financial positions and different riding needs.

Let's face it, if we all liked the same thing, life would be a little boring.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Tiger is going to 100K with The Girl guaranteed. It is too versatile as a distance bike and it is cheap as hell to run, as long as I stay off of it. She got 9,700 miles out of the last T-30 front and 8K out of the T-30 rear. The VFR would be a fun novelty bike. I would go top shelf on the suspension and use the bike for the occasional track day and to remind certain kids from North Carolina that old guys can roll.

I love my 45 to 60 mph fun stuff but you know every once in a while you just gotta go tuck in behind the odd Ducati and let your hair down.

This kid from NC hasn't forgotten the lesson of a highly esteemed rider, a legend, if you will. It started when a Versys chased a RWB VFR through a gravel patch. Seems an old guy let his hair down and moments later with his jacket strategically placed over his arm had the most interesting conversation with a police officer at a convenience store about safe riding. Your last purchases were under 100hp for a reason, because you still want to be riding in 10 years... Just wear out the bikes you own, pull off all the farkles and buy a brand new one to replace it. There will be deals down the road, and no one rides a Ducati hard enough to stay in front of you very far. No one rides any bike well enough to stay in front of you on a scooter.

PS:

I came back after my ride today on my 6th gen with a a Q3 on the outer wear bars after about 500 miles and nearly new knee pucks that have seen better days. But it doesn't really matter because I had just as much fun on the K bike where the tire center was worn out first. If for no other reason, you will bleed rubber and money with a 1200. Your current stable is well positioned to keep your money in your pocket, your butt in the saddle, and your head on your shoulders. If you really have an itch, buy the 8th gen in a couple years when it has the same discount. Plus, who can say they own 3 bikes with 100K miles???

I just want the novelty bike, kinda like the old Vette that sits in the corner under a cover and only gets taken out on special occasions. I would love to have one for a Road America trip in a few weeks or the occasional run to Barber. My career moves have paid off off so money should never be an object for the rest of my life as I have a position here in Knoxville that is contracted for the next 11 years and I will retire when it expires.

Just look at the performance value modern bikes like the VFR represent. I have told you many times we live a golden age for performance motorcycle enthusiasts. I could drop a chunk of cash on a Vette and it would look less costly than having 5 bikes in the garage but the reality is it would be double the investment. Money is not much of an argument against the sheer entertainment value a VFR1200 represents. My planned new bike purchase costs over the next 5 years life equals only 3% of my anticipated take home income with no adjustment for selling them off.

Heading over to Crossville in an hour to help a 71 YO, semiretired ophthalmologist set up his NC700 Cogent suspension. He has an R1200RT Water Boxer and a Multistrada 1200 to go with his DCT NC. He loves the diversity of the bikes but does the majority of his pleasure riding on the NC. I should get a second opinion. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

If I was in your position financially I'd buy it...

I still have kids to put through college.

• Member Contributer

I just want the novelty bike, kinda like the old Vette that sits in the corner under a cover and only gets taken out on special occasions. I would love to have one for a Road America trip in a few weeks or the occasional run to Barber. My career moves have paid off off so money should never be an object for the rest of my life as I have a position here in Knoxville that is contracted for the next 11 years and I will retire when it expires.

Just look at the performance value modern bikes like the VFR represent. I have told you many times we live a golden age for performance motorcycle enthusiasts. I could drop a chunk of cash on a Vette and it would look less costly than having 5 bikes in the garage but the reality is it would be double the investment. Money is not much of an argument against the sheer entertainment value a VFR1200 represents. My planned new bike purchase costs over the next 5 years life equals only 3% of my anticipated take home income with no adjustment for selling them off.

Heading over to Crossville in an hour to help a 71 YO, semiretired ophthalmologist set up his NC700 Cogent suspension. He has an R1200RT Water Boxer and a Multistrada 1200 to go with his DCT NC. He loves the diversity of the bikes but does the majority of his pleasure riding on the NC. I should get a second opinion. :sleep:

He needs his eyes checked if he picks bikes based on looks! Maybe he will buy a VFR1200 next.

I already know what it is like to blow money on a 10 year old 5th gen Vette. I can't stop farkling no matter the vehicle type, and cars are way more expensive to "get right" with a lower fun quotient. I remember saying I could have owned 5 bikes instead of that Vette, and it was true. It is the reason I drive a base 2013 Ford Focus hatch, and run the crap out of it in the mountains.

Don't forget to add costs of farkles, registration, insurance, and taxes to the calculation. Unfortunately, NC is somewhat prohibitive for owning multiple and/or high value road machines since each one gets a wonderful use tax based on its value. This racks up another $75 or so for each of my two bikes each year. Might need to move to Shady Valley soon... I may be planning a retirement in the next 11 years, too, given reasonable return on investment, no children, and appropriate motorcycle choices.

Tell them you have a friend that wants the DCT 2012+, and we want a package deal for (2) bikes OTD: what can they do for us?

Then, we'll meet again at RA and have LOTS of drinks at Siebkins.

• Member Contributer

Time is not on my side for most things in life except for the fact "long-term" issues are nearly impossible. I see many new bike purchase as a potential final purchase. I would have no qualms snatching up a 97 CBR1100XX for instance with little regard for mileage because I know the thing will be bulletproof and simple to maintain for the next 10 years. That would be an 18 YO bike. In 18 years I will be 74.

A nice used XX could be had for $3-5K. Value-wise the VFR1200 is a screaming deal. It really comes down to comfort more than anything but that should be easily correctable.

• Member Contributer

Time is not on my side for most things in life except for the fact "long-term" issues are nearly impossible. I see many new bike purchase as a potential final purchase. I would have no qualms snatching up a 97 CBR1100XX for instance with little regard for mileage because I know the thing will be bulletproof and simple to maintain for the next 10 years. That would be an 18 YO bike. In 18 years I will be 74.

A nice used XX could be had for $3-5K. Value-wise the VFR1200 is a screaming deal. It really comes down to comfort more than anything but that should be easily correctable.

+1 !

• Member Contributer

I hear you Andy. I had a XX for a while and I traded it for a VFR to have a better balanced ride. Of all things mechanical that I have owned in my life the Blackbird left the most lasting impression. I prefer smaller and simpler the majority of the time and if I had to choose I would rather have my NC700x as an only bike, especially considering where I live. For comfort with fun the ST1300 is all I ever need. But even if it's only a couple of rides a year having a bike like the VFR in the stable with the XX kind of capability would improve my time on this earth and that is why I ride.

KEB

• Member Contributer

Have you done the seat on the NC yet? Why not just buy a new R1M or save for the Honda V4 superbike that we all know is coming soon :pinocchio: ?

2014 VFR800 $9379

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371307615971?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And who doesn't want to go to Ohio? Kidding aside, it is the part of OH close to PA/WV, so good roads around.

• Member Contributer

Have you done the seat on the NC yet? Why not just buy a new R1M or save for the Honda V4 superbike that we all know is coming soon :pinocchio: ?

2014 VFR800 $9379

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371307615971?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And who doesn't want to go to Ohio? Kidding aside, it is the part of OH close to PA/WV, so good roads around.

Delivery to TMAC? It's on the way. Might have to ride it down if we can't fit it on the trailer. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

2014 VFR800 $9379

Delivery to TMAC? It's on the way. Might have to ride it down if we can't fit it on the trailer. :wheel:

Think they could get a Toro charger kit on it before TMAC? With the radiators out of the way the 8th gen may be a great supercharger candidate.

• Member Contributer

I hear you Andy. I had a XX for a while and I traded it for a VFR to have a better balanced ride. Of all things mechanical that I have owned in my life the Blackbird left the most lasting impression. I prefer smaller and simpler the majority of the time and if I had to choose I would rather have my NC700x as an only bike, especially considering where I live. For comfort with fun the ST1300 is all I ever need. But even if it's only a couple of rides a year having a bike like the VFR in the stable with the XX kind of capability would improve my time on this earth and that is why I ride.

KEB

I hear you on the novelty bike, but as a track rider I don't know if I would buy the VFR with the idea I'd use it on the track. I've been to RA a handful of times (almost had a highside at the kink) on a Daytona 675 and on a Tuono, and those long straights would be a lot of fun on the VFR1200, but I'm not sure about the rest. If you want an exotic toy bike for minimal street riding and some track riding, why not an RSV4 (or Tuono V4) or S1000RR or that type of bike?

Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying my VFR1200 (which I ride as a daily commuter and tourer), I just don't see it as the exotic, track day, special ride only bike. Maybe because of the way I use mine...

Either way, you will love it. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

-Dan

• Member Contributer

Buy it. The peg position is good and they make lowering pegs. It's a very comfortable bike but I guarantee you will want helibars. After these simple, cost effective mods, you go ride your normal route. I would be highly surprised if you said it wasn't all of us who own one make it out to be. The leg position is fine, it's the arms that need to be adjusted.

$9800 is a steal. I paid $9999 and mine was a demo, with candy apple carnival paint. The black looks heaps better and you get better fueling, a better seat, and TC. This thing handles like it is on rails with correct sag. When I found I could get one for $9999 during the initial run of listing them as demos I went and rode it. Didn't take long. Rode back to the dealership and wrote a large check. I paid $9999 for a CBR929RR in late 2000. And that MSRP was nothing like $16k. The VFR12 is worth 14k or 16k fully loaded with all bags, heated grips. They just fubar'd the pricing.

That's a steal for a new mint bike nobody has ball sweated on. I'd be driving down there and loading that bitch up.

• Member Contributer

"That's a steal for a new mint bike nobody has ball sweated on. I'd be driving down there and loading that bitch up. "

^this. always this.

Honestly if I were you, I'd pass on the thing. I mean the 7th gen is a huge disappointment of a bike with no soul and is too heavy to do anything but ride in a straight line.

Just ask anyone who has never ridden one.

• Member Contributer

Honestly if I were you, I'd pass on the thing. I mean the 7th gen is a huge disappointment of a bike with no soul and is too heavy to do anything but ride in a straight line.

I see what you did there! :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Or trade in the ST1300 after your farkle the VFR12 to your liking. 100+ lbs less, more power, easier rear tire changes, the name VFR. I am sure you can make an outfit similar to what I did to my K12S. Touring farkles on a sportbike = heaven.

I am still waiting for you to sign up for the Keith Code Superbike school at VIR with me one of these days. All the benefits of owning a sportbike without all the hassles.

• Member Contributer

Such is the modern age. Rather than keeping their pie hole shut, they are just too used to liking things with a like button or bitching about something they have 0 experience with.

I owned a 5th gen, so the 12 isn't my first VFR. Having owned both there is no way the two can even be compared. The 12 handles and turns better, has MUCH better brakes, and is so much faster in HP/TQ.

• Member Contributer

DOn't get me wrong, the VFR can hustle in the curves, just not like a dedicated light weight track bike. Loving mine, but not sure I'd want to take it on the track. I mean, yes, it handles, but there's no denying that it is a little hefty...

- Dan

• Member Contributer

Well, I will let you know how I get on with the big VFR1200, after I have done some track days this year, but I know one thing, she sure won't be the slowest on the track. :smile2:

If being a track bunny is a large part of your plan for this bike, VFR1200 is not an ideal choice. Like the K1200/1300S it's modeled after, Viffer Grande is a Gentleman's sportbike optimized for long stints on the road. For anything higher than 30% track 70% road, any of the latest litresports would be a better. RSV4 Factory or the new RF would be my choice. S1000RR, if you don't mind inline4's.

Personally, I'd rather keep a dedicated track bunny around. I bought my Gixxer600 cheap, so I wouldn't care if it gets dinged up at the track. Plus I can keep it dialed in for track duty, and not have to remember to go back and forth with all the settings.

Archived