Someone Please Explain Why

kebrider

I owned a 5th gen, so the 12 isn't my first VFR. Having owned both there is no way the two can even be compared. The 12 handles and turns better, has MUCH better brakes, and is so much faster in HP/TQ.

I've owned the 5th gen, 6th gen, and now the 7th. Before I got the 7th I thought I made a huge mistake selling my 5th. First time I test rode the 1200 I got that old feeling back, but better than ever. You're right, the 7th gen is better in every single objective category. Subjectively the 5th gen may look better to some or sound better. But for pure grin factor, the 7th gen just takes the cake for me.

Well, I will let you know how I get on with the big VFR1200, after I have done some track days this year, but I know one thing, she sure won't be the slowest on the track. :smile2:

I bet she would be fun to have on a track, but yeah... not a bike I would want for a dedicated track bike.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

DOn't get me wrong, the VFR can hustle in the curves, just not like a dedicated light weight track bike. Loving mine, but not sure I'd want to take it on the track. I mean, yes, it handles, but there's no denying that it is a little hefty...

- Dan

As soon as track days at COTA get to a normal price (I'm not paying $500 a day) I'm taking the VFR12 first just to prove a point :D

I did get to ride the R1 around it last year during the Grand Prix weekend but I was limited to 3rd gear for 4 laps.

• Member Contributer

The VFR1200 on the track is probably going to be what I read a lot about the Dayonta 675. Seems most people would rather have the 675 for a track bike, but if they were racing, most would rather have an R6. Doesn't have to be top of the class or the fastest bike, just has to be fun.

• Member Contributer

Or trade in the ST1300 after your farkle the VFR12 to your liking. 100+ lbs less, more power, easier rear tire changes, the name VFR. I am sure you can make an outfit similar to what I did to my K12S. Touring farkles on a sportbike = heaven.

I am still waiting for you to sign up for the Keith Code Superbike school at VIR with me one of these days. All the benefits of owning a sportbike without all the hassles.

ST is in the garage for life. Not a sport bike, not a tourer, just a 700+ pound lump of mile eating pleasure. I played on the dragon yesterday running with the Buell guys and had a blast running down what is touted as one of the best handling bikes ever. There were about 15 guys at the overlook all checking out the ST and telling stories about how some guys can pass you on any kind of bike.

I took the ST to dinner Wednesday night. In Murphy, NC. Drove home up 68 in a driving rain and high 40's temp. Heated gear and grips, adjustable windshield and a supremely comfortable magic carpet of a bike made it one of the most memorable rides of my life. I rolled over road debris, dodged various wildlife and pulled into the garage after midnight thinking what a great adventure I just had.

300+ mile tank range and enough storage for a two week trip, integrated tip over protection that saves your trip when you're thousands of miles from home and nothing even remotely flimsy defines the beast. And even though it's slower on a twisty road compared to every bike I have owned in the past 20 years it is plenty fast enough.

The VFR 1200 is more flickable, trackable and sporty and would be perfect as a GT bike to round out the fleet. You know my riding style Steve and you know I am not a track bike kind of guy. I just want to ride the great tracks in my lifetime on a comfy powerhouse of a bike. Once I get the suspension sorted the actual bike that resides underneath me is irrelevant and how fast is fast enough anyway?

KEB

• Member Contributer

I don't think luvtoleanit, or myself, would call the VFR1200 our designated track bike, my view is, I am going to do a couple of trackdays on my VFR1200F, just to show how good the VFR1200 really is, also I think you should take your road bike on the track a couple of times, just to see how your bike actually handles when you are pushing it, you need to know how good your brakes actually are, and how when you are cranked over how she holds her line. There is far more positives than negatives, in taking your road bike on track, not just your bike, but yourself.

This was always beyond me, to buy a sport tourer and ride it at the track...same with zx14r and hayabusa...the sure can...but...

Whatever...a lot of things are beyond me...as the say...your money your toys :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I don't think luvtoleanit, or myself, would call the VFR1200 our designated track bike, my view is, I am going to do a couple of trackdays on my VFR1200F, just to show how good the VFR1200 really is, also I think you should take your road bike on the track a couple of times, just to see how your bike actually handles when you are pushing it, you need to know how good your brakes actually are, and how when you are cranked over how she holds her line. There is far more positives than negatives, in taking your road bike on track, not just your bike, but yourself.

Exactly. I have a heavily modded R1 to use at the track any time. I'm taking the VFR next time because I never have and to see where the full limits are, nothing more.

I'm not like the rest of the guys that go there anyhow. I don't use tire warmers, couldn't care less about my lap times, and I don't go into competition mode. I'll never get paid a red cent to turn laps (actually the other way around) so I go work on my lines, braking, and most importantly have fun. I couldn't care less if someone passes me down a straight, is faster/slower than me, or anything else. A lot of ego there so I skip on that and just have fun.

• Member Contributer

This was always beyond me, to buy a sport tourer and ride it at the track...same with zx14r and hayabusa...the sure can...but...

Whatever...a lot of things are beyond me...as the say...your money your toys :wheel:

Guess you are not interested in having fun. Many people ride, Tigers, GS, naked, etc...on the track because, wait for it,.......riding on a track is fun. And its a safer way to test your skills and get more comfortable with riding closer to yours and your bike potential. Personally I've only ridden a sportbike on a track but I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun at the track on almost any motorcycle.

Guess you are not interested in having fun. Many people ride, Tigers, GS, naked, etc...on the track because, wait for it,.......riding on a track is fun. And its a safer way to test your skills and get more comfortable with riding closer to yours and your bike potential. Personally I've only ridden a sportbike on a track but I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun at the track on almost any motorcycle.

I'm having enough fun while riding alp passes, trust me. I know you can ride even a scooter on a track, I'm sure its a fun...just not for me.

• Member Contributer

Why is it beyond you, its a sports tourer, more swung towards sport, than tourer. yes its a heavy bike, but that does not mean, you can't do a track day on it, or any other motorbike for that matter. I have done rather a lot of track days, not just on 2 wheels but 4. The VFR1200 is a very capable motorcycle, and since I have uprated the suspension, that's the main reason I want to do a track day to see how she handles in a safe environment. I know from riding on the road, its a big improvement, but you can't find out how good, until I take her on track. Just because track days aren't your thing, does not mean that I or any other track day enthusiast, can't have some fun.

Why is it beyond you, its a sports tourer, more swung towards sport, than tourer. yes its a heavy bike, but that does not mean, you can't do a track day on it, or any other motorbike for that matter. I have done rather a lot of track days, not just on 2 wheels but 4. The VFR1200 is a very capable motorcycle, and since I have uprated the suspension, that's the main reason I want to do a track day to see how she handles in a safe environment. I know from riding on the road, its a big improvement, but you can't find out how good, until I take her on track. Just because track days aren't your thing, does not mean that I or any other track day enthusiast, can't have some fun.

Sure thing boss, like I said: your toys...

I had few track days too, on a CBR1000rr - was fun and I cant complain. Not that I'm "no no track" guy - just can't see the vifer there. Its just too heavy, despite of having

the best balanced chassis I've ever ridden.

Good luck on the track.

• Member Contributer

I'm having enough fun while riding alp passes, trust me. I know you can ride even a scooter on a track, I'm sure its a fun...just not for me.

So, close your eyes for a moment and pretend that you don't live in a country that, within it's 350km width and 220km breadth, boasts some of the best roads through some of the most picturesque mountain passes on earth and that you don't live 2 hours or less from the famed Autobahn in Germany.

Pretend, instead, that you live in Kansas City, Kansas, where you can drive for 645 km east-to-west or 340km north-to-south and never change your altitude more than a kilometer; where the closest thing to a switch-back is a traffic circle.

Now pretend you can't afford more than one bike.

That is why some folks take their VFR1200/ST1300/FJ1300 to a track.

So, close your eyes for a moment and pretend that you don't live in a country that, within it's 350km width and 220km breadth, boasts some of the best roads through some of the most picturesque mountain passes on earth and that you don't live 2 hours or less from the famed Autobahn in Germany.

Pretend, instead, that you live in Kansas City, Kansas, where you can drive for 645 km east-to-west or 340km north-to-south and never change your altitude more than a kilometer; where the closest thing to a switch-back is a traffic circle.

Now pretend you can't afford more than one bike.

That is why some folks take their VFR1200/ST1300/FJ1300 to a track.

I'm a Pole from origin, I was not born in royal rich Swiss family - they treat me like a gypsy here to be honest.

I drove in Russia near Siberia, Ukraine and east Poland - I know nasty roads you cant even imagine mate. I came from a poor family, nobody ever gave me anything.

What I have is what I worked on hard.

You just pigeonholed me. You failed.

P.S

For how big america is I cant believe one can not have any fun besides track days...I would die bored.

• Member Contributer

I asked you to imagine that you didn't live where you do and didn't have more than one bike.

Neither of those requests address ethnicity, income level or personal history.
I pigeon-holed nothing.

You can have fun besides track days. That doesn't mean that track days aren't fun.
It's not an either/or situation; humans are allowed to do more than one type of riding on a motocycle.

It's an advantage we have over the other forms of life on our planet.

I asked you to imagine that you didn't live where you do and didn't have more than one bike.

I pigeon-holed nothing.

You can have fun besides track days. That doesn't mean that track days aren't fun.

It's not an either/or situation; humans are allowed to do more than one type of riding on a motocycle.

Actually you did, a bit. I felt that...like I seen a world only trough my Swiss "best roads, money and prestige" eyes.

Well I don't. I know how is to be bored - I was raised in a flat land without any twisties but somehow I was able to find some good

roads and get some biking thrill. There was also no race track nearby...imagine...

You can have it what you want it.

Some tried to teach me english, even here briefly. I bealive pigeon-holed means something slightly different then pigeonholed. Punctuation mate.

Lets make some fun, shall we :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pigeon-holed

Never said track days aren't fun. I simply said I cant see vifer there.

• Member Contributer

Totally agree with hvfrdave, taking your bike on track is all about having FUN! Just done a trackday at Cadwell (2nd ever) on my 5th gen and loved it.Apart from riding, met some new fellow Viffers but more importantly, enjoyed and learnt more about my bike. Doesnt matter what bike you have.Cant wait to do Cadwell again.

• Member Contributer

I pigeon-holed nothing.

Actually you did, a bit. I felt that...like I seen a world only trough my Swiss "best roads, money and prestige" eyes.

Well I don't. I know how is to be bored - I was raised in a flat land without any twisties but somehow I was able to find some good

roads and get some biking thrill. There was also no race track nearby...imagine...

You can have it what you want it.

Some tried to teach me english, even here briefly. I bealive pigeon-holed means something slightly different then pigeonholed. Punctuation mate.

Lets make some fun, shall we :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pigeon-holed

Never said track days aren't fun. I simply said I cant see vifer there.

It sounds more like our Kansas City friend is emphasizing that anyone who lives near beautiful mountain roads and owns more than one motorcycle should consider themselves blessed - it sounded very much a compliment. A track would be an oasis in the flatlands, and any chance to ride it with any bike would be a blessing that should not be passed up. Admittedly, I live near Western North Carolina roads and feel very much blessed in this regard. There is no implication that I am favored or was given anything. I welcome anyone to join in the fun, on the road or the track, with any bike. I also would prefer riding mountain roads because the scenery does not change on a track, and I could care less about lap times. But I do want to be a better rider, so I go to the track and learn the techniques to better keep the rubber side down. The easiest part to change if you want to go faster is the nut behind the wheel. Please go for a ride, become one with your machine, and all is right in the world.

• Member Contributer

Exactly. I have a heavily modded R1 to use at the track any time. I'm taking the VFR next time because I never have and to see where the full limits are, nothing more.

I'm not like the rest of the guys that go there anyhow. I don't use tire warmers, couldn't care less about my lap times, and I don't go into competition mode. I'll never get paid a red cent to turn laps (actually the other way around) so I go work on my lines, braking, and most importantly have fun. I couldn't care less if someone passes me down a straight, is faster/slower than me, or anything else. A lot of ego there so I skip on that and just have fun.

I have the same outlook about doing a few track days. In my case I don't want a dedicated track bike I just want to travel the country and ride some of the more well known tracks. I woud love to stuff a drypak with my track gear and tape the bike up at the track, do a couple of laps but I will try that idea on a close-to-home track before I say it is feasible. After10 years or so I can tell my grandson what it was like to take a lap around Road America or VIR or Barber or fill in the blank. Ever since I took 7 laps around Barber last summer on the NC I have thought it would be worthwhile.

The VFR could take me there and take me home as well as anything I can think of and it has the right combination of sport and tour to do it in grand style. I still do 650 mile days and when I get within 50 miles of the house I hit the back roads for some fun so endurance won't be the problem.

I'm just an old guy out to have a little fun before time takes over.

KEB

• Member Contributer

Think they could get a Toro charger kit on it before TMAC? With the radiators out of the way the 8th gen may be a great supercharger candidate.

I finish the semester three weeks before TMAC. Think that's enough time to install one and let you how it goes.

I have the same outlook about doing a few track days. In my case I don't want a dedicated track bike I just want to travel the country and ride some of the more well known tracks. I woud love to stuff a drypak with my track gear and tape the bike up at the track, do a couple of laps but I will try that idea on a close-to-home track before I say it is feasible. After10 years or so I can tell my grandson what it was like to take a lap around Road America or VIR or Barber or fill in the blank. Ever since I took 7 laps around Barber last summer on the NC I have thought it would be worthwhile.

The VFR could take me there and take me home as well as anything I can think of and it has the right combination of sport and tour to do it in grand style. I still do 650 mile days and when I get within 50 miles of the house I hit the back roads for some fun so endurance won't be the problem.

I'm just an old guy out to have a little fun before time takes over.

That sounds like doing parade laps. Not sure about other parts, but track around here quite often allow riders to get on the track over lunch break on track days. No fees, more relaxed bike prep and gear requirement, and you can be on just about any bike. It's meant to give folks who might consider taking a track day but are apprehensive about the up front investment (leather suit, tires, fees, etc.) as well as the intimidation factor.

I sometimes take my road bike to a TD to do parade laps. Personally, I don't have a need to test the very limits of my road bikes. I rode at no more than 6/10th pace on the road, just so I have plenty of reserves for the worst contingencies. For a habitual Level 1 rider like me, a 600SS is a far better tool to have fun on the track. I paid probably less for my gixxer track bunny than some folks spend on Ohlins suspension or premium exhaust. Not having to worry about scratching up a shiny new road bike frees me up to have some serious fun. Plus, 599cc SS is more forgiving than a snarling litre+, which again adds to the fun factor. My favorite track around here is a very technical track with lots of turns and short straights. First couple of TDs, I pretty much left it in 2nd gear and just go between 7-8k RPM in the turns and 13-15k in the straight. The VFR1200 would be a handful and more difficult to relax and have fun.

That said, I do see the point of not wanting a dedicated track bike. It is one more bike in the garage to have to mess with. And I've thought about getting rid of it and just use one of my road bikes for the occasional TD... actually very very occasional these days. I'm sure I will eventually, but for now, there isn't much money tied up in it and it still serves a purpose.

BTW, here's wayyy worse than Kansas. It's so flat I can see Baton Rouge from my 2nd floor... and we go traffic. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

The argument of learning the limits of your road bike on the safest place to ride a motorbike fast - the track - does make sense. It's just that I get so few track days, I don't know if I'd want to do it.

STT does a few evening track days in South Haven, MI, and I will be riding there often on the VFR12... maybe one of those inexpensive half-days would be fun to fully test it out... But on PR4's? I'll have to take it easy. Thanks for the suggestion and reminder of why I started track days in the first place before becoming addicted.

-Dan

Archived