Just Dropped My Vfr

RogueWave

I guess I will call the Honda dealer tomorrow and see if they can help me pick it up. I can't see how much damage there is, so I may as well have them fix it. Great, another expense.

I was cleaning it and sitting in the saddle. I forget the kick stand was up and tried to get off. Once it started falling I could not stop it. It crushed my foot and I had to take my shoe off to get free. It hurts, I hope nothing is broken.

Damn, maybe this bike too big for me. My 750 Interceptor was 460 pounds and I could pick it up. But this thing is 600 pounds and I can;t budge it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It is still laying down? You should try and pick it up to help keep fluids where they belong and relieve any pressure on parts that shouldn't have pressure. There are some good videos on youtube on how to pick up heavy motorcycles that are down. I've personally seen a single person right a goldwing, so it should be possible to pick up the VFR unless you have some medical conditions.

Better:

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your luck, we've all been there. Good news is you can pick it up by yourself. Look on YouTube for how to pick up a gold wing.

• Member Contributer

OUCH! Hope your foot comes out ok. My foot rolled on a pencil sized twig at work right after a heavy morning work out. I had the old "rubber legs" feeling anyway and as you said, once it starts over, there is nothing you can do. Mine hit very softly on the left side and the only damage was from me putting my helmeted head into the right side mirror in the fight to keep it upright. oh yeah...It took me two tries to get her up since my legs were already toasted that morning.

Thanks, guys. My wrist and leg are killing me. I can't lift anything right now. I will just have to call the Honda dealer tomorrow. I don't know who else I can call.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, picking up a bike while injured is no fun. Even my little 599 was a bitch with a leg that I didn't know was broken at the time (adrenalin and all). Hope you are feeling better. If the Honda dealer won't help you, you can also try a towing company. Even if you had another person, it won't be as much of a hassle.

• Member Contributer

Bummer Rogue. I hope you're ok. I'd hate to try and lift a1200, almost as much as I'd hate to leave it laying there.

• Member Contributer

Bad news bud.

The bike can be fixed but you probably need to go and see a doctor or go to hospital!

I guess I will call the Honda dealer tomorrow and see if they can help me pick it up. I can't see how much damage there is, so I may as well have them fix it. Great, another expense.

I was cleaning it and sitting in the saddle. I forget the kick stand was up and tried to get off. Once it started falling I could not stop it. It crushed my foot and I had to take my shoe off to get free. It hurts, I hope nothing is broken.

Damn, maybe this bike too big for me. My 750 Interceptor was 460 pounds and I could pick it up. But this thing is 600 pounds and I can;t budge it.

Before re-flash this thing stalled once - almost dropped it entirely but somehow managed to scratch my side pannier only.

I'm kinda bigger fella, I lift weights and I never believed this bike can overweight me - its a heavy weight.

10 kilos more and I would probably be crushed too. Need to think twice here. It stalls no more after re-flash.

However, from know on I do all maintenance with the Bike Lift stand only:

4g0zuv.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about all that. I hope both of you will be ok. I'd be calling a tow company.

I've known of the way the video shows to do it but didn't think about it when I've dropped my bike. I've been able to pick it up out of shear might but it sure wasn't easy. It kills me to see her on her side like that.

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear this. Take comfort in knowing it happens to the best of us:

acf6e3eda033e03099b9e7140154897d.jpg

I got that up off the floor with my left arm and right leg. It was an awkward position, but if you get the leverage right you can lift it. The sooner it is up the better. Do you have a neighbor you can ask to help? With two people it is very easy.

• Member Contributer

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear this. Take comfort in knowing it happens to the best of us:

acf6e3eda033e03099b9e7140154897d.jpg

I got that up off the floor with my left arm and right leg. It was an awkward position, but if you get the leverage right you can lift it. The sooner it is up the better. Do you have a neighbor you can ask to help? With two people it is very easy.

How did it fall over ?

And did it damage the lawn mowers ?

:goofy:

I had my daughter helping me remove the safety straps on my bike. I removed them in the wrong order. The last one was on the right rear grab handle and she pulled it not understanding the purpose of it. She was used to my bikes with centerstands. Now I know to remove the last strap on the left side where the kickstand is!

and yes, the lawnmower came out unscathed. Bike only had scuffs on the windscreen and a few things moved on the clipon. Snap things back in place and polish the scuffs and we are good to go!

Regrets. I hope it helps to know that you aren't the only one. I dropped mine to the left because the side stand wasn't deployed. I don't remember why I was just sitting on my stone cold bike, but just got off. I've never dropped any of my old bikes.

I dropped my 2005 for the first time last summer - it's a sickening feeling. It came off the sidestand and fell on top of the left pannier and me. Ouch! I was so pissed off that it wasn't hard to lift it back up. Luckily, it was just a scratch on the pannier, nothing was bent, nothing broken. I'm certainly much more aware of things around the sidestand when working on maintenance or cleaning of the bike. Good luck with yours.

• Member Contributer

I had my daughter helping me remove the safety straps on my bike. I removed them in the wrong order. The last one was on the right rear grab handle and she pulled it not understanding the purpose of it. She was used to my bikes with centerstands. Now I know to remove the last strap on the left side where the kickstand is!

and yes, the lawnmower came out unscathed. Bike only had scuffs on the windscreen and a few things moved on the clipon. Snap things back in place and polish the scuffs and we are good to go!

I jump off of mine one time on the opposite side of the kickstand and thought I had lowered the kickstand but no. The only thing that kept it from the concrete floor was a 89 Black Mustang. Which was ok but the Mustang had just been painted with 3 coats of base and 5 coats of clear . One small scratch on the Mustang nothing on the VFR.

If my wife had not been standing there I probably would have cried.

I got hit by a [unoccupied] car in a parking lot. 2 people had to help me pick it up. Definitely find a friend/neighbor/plumber/UPS guy to help you lift it.

You're right, it's an unwieldy beast. Heal up and get back in the saddle soon.

gallery_8099_6509_4851769_zpsy4pxpgnd.jp

• Member Contributer

OK I'll bite....

how does one get hit by an unoccupied car???

OK I'll bite....

how does one get hit by an unoccupied car???

Parked at the top of a hill in gear but no parking brake. Not a joke at all...I have the police report somewhere.

1-in-a-billion chance. I was backing out of the parking space too.

• Member Contributer

If some guy in India can put a motorcycle on his head, climb a ladder and put the bike on top of a train, the VFR 1200 can be lifted. My 145 pound wife has picked her VFR 1200 up when she dropped it on slow turn at a filling station.

• Member Contributer

It happens! Sorry to hear it, I went through a drop a month ago. The center stand sunk into the dirt. I was able to pick it up myself, but barely.

IMAG0175_zpsy4inuwag.jpg

Archived